Dundee Utd v St Johnstone

7 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

We were in the exact same position, and, like yourselves, also with a new manager.

That crossed my mind about 5 minutes after I'd posted tbh :lol:

The start of this season is going to be a mess I think. 5/6 months without competitive games so teams are going to take weeks to get any sort of real rhythm going. Some teams are going to look great/doomed by the end of September then it'll all flip once everyone is at the same level of fitness again.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

That crossed my mind about 5 minutes after I'd posted tbh :lol:

The start of this season is going to be a mess I think. 5/6 months without competitive games so teams are going to take weeks to get any sort of real rhythm going. Some teams are going to look great/doomed by the end of September then it'll all flip once everyone is at the same level of fitness again.

There is also the issue with the transfer window being open until early October, giving an extra month of shenanigans as teams try to sort themsleves out. Up until then, for clubs like ourselves it's very much a case of don't play yourself out of it.

Fully expect both United and St Johnstone to be decimated on Oct 4th by the OF trying to sign our entire team to weaken us as we romp away at the top of the league.

47 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'm pretty sure I'm on record on here several times stating that we signed the wrong Mark Connolly. I'd have smashed that over the Shed and halfway to Dens tbh.

Although I'd probably have started on the bench* due to current fitness levels.

*Bench may also have to be reinforced.

You're in the team for next week.

Thats the Mark Connolly we need. Oot the park with absolutely everything, not just the simple passes.

Just now, mishtergrolsch said:

You're in the team for next week.

Thats the Mark Connolly we need. Oot the park with absolutely everything, not just the simple passes.

I'm from the Bobo Balde school of play. If you have the ball, give it to anyone in your team who is better than you or f**k it into the stand. If you don't have the ball, smash the nearest opponent.

Connolly had a belter in the first half aswell, fwiw.

Intercepts long hoof, completely bamboozled our striker with a turn, and then with acres of space and time he melts the ball into the top tier of the stand trying to complete a pass.

Not much original to add so will just offer my voice to the points made about our lack of games, the new system not looking too convincing and a few poor calls from the manager.

I think the first time we put a few passes together we scored but the shape never really allowed us to get any grip on the match. I'm not going to spend the whole season surmising what TW might have done but I think he would have changed the shape during that first half. He didn't always cover himself in glory when it came to tactical plans but he was usually quite adept at identifying and changing things. 

Everyone could see the way it was going with O'Halloran and maybe they thought they could get to half-time but he should have been withdrawn after the keeper incident. I don't think there was malice in that but he was on the tightrope.

To give CD credit, the tweak at half-time probably worked - although Shankland could have put the game to bed in the first 10 minutes - but the subs were questionable. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and suggest they were based mostly on fitness though. 

Was pleased how solid Parish looked and still confident the defensive unit will prove quite formidable when they get going. Little surprised at the high praise of McNamara, although like the team he was better in the second half.

Definitely happy with the point and always good to get off the mark in the first game.

Should say, I like the way Micky Mellon is going about things. No shouting about doing this or doing that, I suspect he's going to be a manager who lets results speak for themselves.

Edited by Radford

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Disappointing not to get all 3 points after the way we started, and especially after the red card, but I thought we were not too bad there. As much as we like to laugh about the fermers being hammer throwers, etc, they are a good, solid Premiership team, and if you had offered me a point before the game, I'd probably have taken it.

Need to be a bit more creative in attack, and a bit less creative in defence, and we'll be fine.

A draw is not the worst result, not being able to take advantage of playing against 10 men for so long is disappointing though.  For the first 15 minutes of the second half Saint Johnstone looked like the team who had an extra player.

We didn’t put them under any sustained pressure until the last 20 minutes.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

A draw is not the worst result, not being able to take advantage of playing against 10 men for so long is disappointing though.  For the first 15 minutes of the second half Saint Johnstone looked like the team who had an extra player.

We didn’t put them under any sustained pressure until the last 20 minutes.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that tbh.

Also have a niggling feeling that we might have chucked that game away under the previous regime.

Two dropped points for the Perth Packers. They will feel aggrieved but it was a stellar effort from what with playing with less players for the full ninety minutes. 

Things look like they'll work out OK for them again this season. Heaven knows about the opposition they faced, though. 

Thought young Neilson had a good game all things considered. He let Wotherspoon get away from him too easy for St Johnstones best chance in the first half but generally stood up well to the test. Looked comfortable on the ball and started off a couple of attacks bringing it out from the back. We definitely don't want to be relying on a 17 year old centre half week in week out but he looks to me like he'll have a future in the game.

13 minutes ago, coppola said:

Thought young Neilson had a good game all things considered. He let Wotherspoon get away from him too easy for St Johnstones best chance in the first half but generally stood up well to the test. Looked comfortable on the ball and started off a couple of attacks bringing it out from the back. We definitely don't want to be relying on a 17 year old centre half week in week out but he looks to me like he'll have a future in the game.

Only 17? Didn't realise he was quite so young.

28 pages for a match thread too. 

Any word on what the virtual attendance was?

It will be interesting to see if that information becomes available and what the numbers are around the country. It’s hardly a bumper revenue stream but it is the only constant at the moment so hopefully each fixture has a good number of PPV customers.

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Just seen this on the BBC website.  Truly bizarre ratings.

B9C194AE-A690-4A79-8250-62179D3B3B1E.thumb.png.58090c5e988ba9fa96f4f99aad1c471e.png

Not sure if it's improved any but I tend to just not bother with BBC stats for Scottish games as it's usually just crap. They suggested Saints had like 62% possession against Celtic in the cup game last season. 

Other than checking scores they're info is a bit shit. 

10 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Not sure if it's improved any but I tend to just not bother with BBC stats for Scottish games as it's usually just crap. They suggested Saints had like 62% possession against Celtic in the cup game last season. 

Other than checking scores they're info is a bit shit. 

I assumed this was viewer based rather than the BBC sports “journalists”.

8 hours ago, coppola said:

I agree that he did well, but he had to come off when he did. St Johnstone had definitely begun to target him and he was beginning to struggle. Despite making a couple of runs into space, he didn't look as if he wanted the ball when it was passed to him and often just gave it right back to whoever passed to him. He is certainly a prospect, but he needs to be brought on carefully, not thrown into the deep end.

Having watched the highlights, I reckon that United team will struggle. They lack quality in all areas of the park and probably need a good few players to give themselves a good chance of staying out of the bottom 2. Guys like Connolly, Robson and Clark are ok Championship players but nowhere near good enough for the Premiership.