Dundee Utd v St Johnstone

Decent point under the circumstances. Thought we were excellent for about 20 minutes in the second half but then taking Hendry and Spoony off lost us a bit of momentum. We have three quality centre backs but not so strong at wing backs, though young Danny improved as it went on.  Thought Tanser had a tough time.

Starting formation wasn't working and disappointed Callum didn't adapt. Hope he's not going to be one of those stubborn managers who will stick with what he fancies as a formation regardless of what's happening in front of him. Happy not to see the 3-4-3 again for a while.  MOH should have been hooked long before the ref sent him off, you could see it coming a mile awAy and we had 5 subs to use.

However, obviously got the message through at HT and got a big improvement. Cracking goal from Liam, and McCann was his usual brilliant self by doing lots of unspectacular stuff well after a not so good opening period.

Its another pre-season workout at a competitive tempo with 14 players getting a decent run. And a point on the board when it could have been a lot worse.

1 minute ago, ArabFC said:

What are you gibbering about? Smith moved into Neilson’s spot.

And Pawlett played fairly well.

You’re a havering arse.

Edited by Granny Danger

2 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

No. Connolly was the worst thing that could have happened to United. Lest we forget he was responsible for the goal conceded last week too.

Shankland had some good chances early in the second half, but after the equaliser I don’t think he touched the ball again for 20mins.

Wait...Connolly being at fault at a goal...where have I heard that for about two years?

3 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

No. Connolly was the worst thing that could have happened to United. Lest we forget he was responsible for the goal conceded last week too.

Shankland had some good chances early in the second half, but after the equaliser I don’t think he touched the ball again for 20mins.

Defensively he and a few others constantly seem panicked when the ball comes into the box. 

Connelly especially looks very questionable at this level 

1-1 was a fair result and I’d have been fine with that before the game but very disappointing that United didn’t take advantage of 45 minutes against 10 men (though Saints did manage it well).  Shankland showed flashes of his quality but was mostly quiet.  Thought Robson and Harkes were probably our best players (Reynolds and Benji didn’t do much wrong either).  Bolton will start most weeks I’d imagine and looks promising.

Think it’ll be a tough season for us and be amazed if we finish higher than 8th or 9th but as long as we improve over the course of the season I’ll be ok with that.

Hopefully we can get a decent centre half in soon.  Connolly, as we all know, isn’t good enough at this level.  Neilson might turn into a good centre half but he’s not ready to play regularly in the premier yet IMO.

First time I’ve seen Saints for a while and they’re just as I remember them, hard working, organised with no obvious weak links.  Think they’ll end up 6th or 7th.

Few thoughts:

Don't like the front three if MOH is there. Wotherspoon put in a power of work to help the midfield, while MOH didn't. Led to the midfield being swarmed in the first half. Coincidence we looked better when the assumption MOH would help out was gone? Rather play last seasons 3 CMs and two central striker set up if he wasn't 3 at the back.

Wotherspoon is some boy, put an absolute power of work in. Like the role he had, as he generally creates chances from the left.

McNamara looks a clear upgrade on Ralston, hard to know if hes an upgrade on Wright as he couldn't get forward as much due to the red.

Conway has a bit of the Swansons about him, should be a useful option.

We badly need another CM. A reluctance to chuck Ballantyne in maybe caused some issues in terms of changing the set up.

1 minute ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Defensively he and a few others constantly seem panicked when the ball comes into the box. 

Connelly especially looks very questionable at this level 

Hes the one that makes us panicky. Paul Watson took over last season and we were far better at the back.

Angry bull in a China shop with a blindfold on.

2 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Connolly especially looks very questionable at this level 

Connolly looked questionable at Championship level. 

Decent point for us, probably a poor one for United given how the game was poised at half time. We came out in the second half and were brave though, managing to get ourselves level and a couple of decent reaction saves away from a lead. Taking off Hendry and Wotherspoon meant we couldn’t hold onto the ball though and united took control of the game after that. Hopefully Davidson has learned his lesson from that. 

Plenty of positives for Saints though. I thought everyone in the back 5 played well, McNamara looked nervous early on but really grew as the game went on. His cross led to the goal and the block on Pawlett near the end probably saved a point. Kerr had a man marking role on Shankland which I think he did well enough in, although Shankland should’ve made it 2-0 not long before our equaliser. 

I think our equaliser came from the best move we managed to put together all game. A good, patient build up, a calamitous clearance and then a wonderful strike by the old master Craig. He loves a goal at Tannadice - that’s at least his third top flight goal there. 

Kane, Davidson, Clark and Robertson our today and we weren’t able to fill the bench. We clearly need more bodies - a centre mid and probably and a decent centre back is a must. 

Edited by Kyle

3 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Dogged? Saints could have won the game. 

And so it begins.

Expect lots of "streetwise"/"experienced" type articles.

Pretty sure everybody saw that coming from Connolly. Never really felt threatened until that point but we were all over the place defensively afterwards. Can’t afford to let him cost us any more points this season.

16 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Aye haven't seen it yet but heard it was a howler. 

2 minutes ago, chazas_ said:

Pretty sure everybody saw that coming from Connolly. Never really felt threatened until that point but we were all over the place defensively afterwards. Can’t afford to let him cost us any more points this season.

Was a repeat of his Playoff clearance effort and many more.

I'm hoping Mellon has a centre half and a right back lined up.

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Decent point under the circumstances. Thought we were excellent for about 20 minutes in the second half but then taking Hendry and Spoony off lost us a bit of momentum. We have three quality centre backs but not so strong at wing backs, though young Danny improved as it went on.  Thought Tanser had a tough time.

Starting formation wasn't working and disappointed Callum didn't adapt. Hope he's not going to be one of those stubborn managers who will stick with what he fancies as a formation regardless of what's happening in front of him. Happy not to see the 3-4-3 again for a while.  MOH should have been hooked long before the ref sent him off, you could see it coming a mile awAy and we had 5 subs to use.

However, obviously got the message through at HT and got a big improvement. Cracking goal from Liam, and McCann was his usual brilliant self by doing lots of unspectacular stuff well after a not so good opening period.

Its another pre-season workout at a competitive tempo with 14 players getting a decent run. And a point on the board when it could have been a lot worse.

I'd like to think that CD was waiting until HT to pull Jason O'Halloran. I'll tell myself that anyway. 

We should have strolled that, but there was (just) enough there to think we'll come good, hopefully quicker than last year. Not keen on leaving May out of the starting lineup, Hendry looked a bit short of fitness? 

Thought it was odd at half time when I checked the thread and saw someone had commented that United hadn't got out of second gear. To me it looked like that's all the gears they have. 

Tanser, again, demonstrating that he is incapable of stopping a cross. I think @tree house tam was right about McNamarra. He was impressive, particularly second half defensively, and was good to see McCann start to show himself. 

Reluctantly take a point. Had the feel of a much-needed training game (expect they all might while we have to stream). Shite ref. Good to have the football back though, even if the new squad numbers are temporarily confusing. 

Sounds like O'Halloran was getting hooked at half time if he hadn't got himself sent off.

Shame we couldn't have kept 11 men as everything started to show signs of clicking a bit.

May in for O'Halloran, and Wotherspoon into the centre, next week please.

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sounds like O'Halloran was getting hooked at half time if he hadn't got himself sent off.

Shame we couldn't have kept 11 men as everything started to show signs of clicking a bit.

May in for O'Halloran, and Wotherspoon into the centre, next week please.

Suspended players doesn't help the thin bench situation, agree with that change.  Spoony dropping in behind a front pair would seem a much better plan.

He had a pretty good game today.

Right, off to ask for a refund from DUTV for them not being able to actually deliver the product I paid for for 60-odd minutes.