Live Aid

2 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Interesting to read that Big Country were backstage - I mind seeing Ian Astbury from The Cult backstage anaw.

Apparently there was a "reserve list" in case anyone was unable to perform on the day. Big Country and Marillion were on that list, and I think they came out to sing in the choir. 

3 hours ago, trainspotter said:

I certainly don't remember anyone in the pub watching the TV and clapping in sync to Radio Ga Ga, as portrayed in the sycophantic pile of pish that was Bohemian Rhapsody.

After all the accolades that film got, I was shocked at how shite it was. I can only imagine Rami Malek got the Oscar for manfully struggling through the part wearing those comedy prosthetic teeth.

I'm not any expert on Queen, but ten minutes in I was calling bullshit when there was a fortuitous meeting to start the band...they'd been pals for years before. Between little things like them playing songs live years before they were written IRL, and big things like the way it handled Freddie Mercury's sexuality...they had him starting to be conflicted about it on their first American tour when he'd actually been pretty secure in the fact he was gay years before.

It could have been worse  though...I believe the reason Sascha Baron Cohen left the project was due to Brian May's lunatic early insistence that the only interesting member of the band should be killed off halfway through the film, and the rest of it should be about their thrill-free subsequent re-emergence as their own tribute band post-Freddie.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Do folk mean "I don't like Queen" rather than "Queen are shite"? Because it's undeniably wrong to call them shite at what they do.

I think they were a hangover from progressive, pomp rock of the early 70s that the 6th year wankers liked when anyone with any sense was listening to The Damned.

16 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

In that documentary, Geldof said he wanted a Beatle to headline, even if Macca hadn't played live for a few years.

For a lot of people, Live Aid was all about 'establishment' bands - where were The Smiths, The Cure, The Bunneymen, etc?

Would The Smiths even have done it?

Interesting to read that Big Country were backstage - I mind seeing Ian Astbury from The Cult backstage anaw.

Morrissey probably would have had an issue with it helping the foreigners tbh

4 minutes ago, Junior Pub League said:

Dad?

Ooft, that doesn't bear thinking about. She was at least 6 foot tall.Taller in heels, she almost put me off tall women. Would've beat me easy in a fight. A student teacher, I heard she got a post down South and left a few months later.

I was like a new man!

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

I think they were a hangover from progressive, pomp rock of the early 70s that the 6th year wankers liked when anyone with any sense was listening to The Damned.

Again though, that is personal taste. Queen weren't shite, they were a band of excellent musicians with a front man most would kill for. 

I suppose I just wish people were more accurate with their criticism of bands/musicians, calling someone "shite" is easy but it's rarely accurate.

Anyway I was whatever age I was and my main memory is how pish the BBC links were. Biggest gig in the history of the world and they give us David "c**t" Hepworth , Mark "smug c**t" Ellen and Andy "dirty wee pervy b*****d" Kershaw when the thing was crying out for a Wogan or Everett.

The whole day dragged something rotten.

Edited by Junior Pub League

Just now, The Moonster said:

Again though, that is personal taste. Queen weren't shite, they were a band of excellent musicians with a front man most would kill for. 

I suppose I just wish people were more accurate with their criticism of bands/musicians, calling someone "shite" is easy but it's rarely accurate.

Music is emotional, not practical. They were technically prroficient, probably even better, but that's not the whole story with a band. I didn't like the characters then and like them less now.

Loads of punk bands were technically shite, but brilliant at the same time.

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

The documentary that was on the other night is on iplayer and is a decent watch, gives a good insight into the logistics that went into it.

Is that the one where Annabel Giles says everything good was Midge and Bob is a limelight stealing p***k?

Thats a good one to see.

26 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

In that documentary, Geldof said he wanted a Beatle to headline, even if Macca hadn't played live for a few years.

For a lot of people, Live Aid was all about 'establishment' bands - where were The Smiths, The Cure, The Bunneymen, etc?

Would The Smiths even have done it?

Geldof was only interested in big names to 'sell' the gig. Several bands including Steel Pulse wanted to play but he wouldn't let them because he didn't believe they'd draw in the punters. Hence, no African music and a line-up of overwhelming white, and largely over the hill artists. The Wikipedia page gives some good background as to why the event received so much criticism from the industry, including Geldof ignoring the warnings from Médecins Sans Frontières that the funds would be siphoned off to purchase arms. Which they were.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Do folk mean "I don't like Queen" rather than "Queen are shite"? Because it's undeniably wrong to call them shite at what they do.

Queen are indeed very good at what they do.

It's just a shame that what they do isn't very good...

19 minutes ago, Junior Pub League said:

Is that the one where Annabel Giles says everything good was Midge and Bob is a limelight stealing p***k?

Thats a good one to see.

There's a funny but at the end of that documentary where folk were asked to sum up Geldof in a few words. 

Giles just says '"c**t, c**t, c**t c**t!" :lol:

Edited by paranoid android