Live Aid

6 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

My mate travelled down to be at the event and said the sound quality was terrible.

Outdoor large live gigs then were often woeful.

Today with the big money in festivals there has been an incredible improvement in sound engineering.

11 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

As a 57 year old I remember watching it on TV. Most of the performances ranged from poor to mediocre.

Queen were excellent that day. Freddy Mercury was different class.

My mate travelled down to be at the event and said the sound quality was terrible.

How the f**k old are you now?

Is it true that super c**t Geldof switched slot times with Midge Ure so the boomtown rats could play to Royalty?

I also understand that Charles and Di only squeezed in about 30mins. What was oh so fucking important that you had to leave and go to?

I highly doubt anything going on that day was ahead of live aid on importance scale and is just another reason why the royal family are a complete bunch of c***s

Just now, Gaz FFC said:

Is it true that super c**t Geldof switched slot times with Midge Ure so the boomtown rats could play to Royalty?

I also understand that Charles and Di only squeezed in about 30mins. What was oh so fucking important that you had to leave and go to?

I highly doubt anything going on that day was ahead of live aid on importance scale and is just another reason why the royal family are a complete bunch of c***s

They did well to last as long. I'd have sold my ticket and went to the pub.

I was probably looking forward to U2 most having bought their Pride single. And they then didn't play due to Bono being an arse as mentioned. Which to be fair I have seen Bono confess to later (possibly in the documentary others are talking about).

Mojo or Q magazine did a retrospective feature and actually got hold of the girls Bono danced with. One of them said something along the lines of "I was a big fan, but he was really sweaty and stank. I went right off him after that"  😄

I did think Queen stole the show, although I really wanted to see The Who, but the live feed went down during their set and we were left with the sight of loads of similarly pissed off fans in Philadelphia shouting "bull shit bull shit" at the blank big screens.

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

He was pish for most of the 60s, brilliant in the 70s and fell away after that. Even the 70s he benefited from the influence of The Stooges and Velvet Underground.

I'd say they all benefitted each other; Bowie arranged quite a few of Iggy and Reed's tunes. He had some patchy output after the 70s but the last few albums he did like The Next Day and Blackstar are pretty good. 

4 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

I'd say they all benefitted each other; Bowie arranged quite a few of Iggy and Reed's tunes. He had some patchy output after the 70s but the last few albums he did like The Next Day and Blackstar are pretty good. 

They did, but he drew on them to move from a bit of a drip to space man rock star. The Stooges and Velvet Underground were playing a completely different type of music from mainstream 60s bands. He was able to refine it and then return the favour.

6 hours ago, gogsy said:

Well Lennon wasn't an option and I'm not sure if Harrison or Starr would have sold tickets.

Harrison did the Concert for Bangladesh which I think was one of the inspirations for Live Aid. 

I think Macca's hit around that time had been the sodding Frog Chorus...