Live Aid

It's 35 years to the day since arguably the greatest concert in history.

Highlights included Led Zep performing together for the first time since John Bonham's deathin what Robert Plant thinks was one of their worst ever shows, Phil Collins making a huge contribution to global warming by flying on Concorde to allow him to ruin play at both the London and Philadelphia gigs, and Bob Geldof ending famine.

Do any P&Bers have memories of the show? I was only 3, so my memories are from replays and other people's anecdotes, but I do know it contained one of the greatest live performances the world has ever seen

Some decent performances, some embarrassments (Yes, Percy, you were poor), but my main takeaway from the day was "who's that fker with the big white geetar? Thorogood, ye say? I'll try and find some of his albums." George Thorogood, what a discovery. The acceptable face of dirty white boy rock 'n' roll.

Oh, and Queen peaked with Sheer Heart Attack.

24 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

It's 35 years to the day since arguably the greatest concert in history.

Highlights included Led Zep performing together for the first time since John Bonham's deathin what Robert Plant thinks was one of their worst ever shows, Phil Collins making a huge contribution to global warming by flying on Concorde to allow him to ruin play at both the London and Philadelphia gigs, and Bob Geldof ending famine.

Do any P&Bers have memories of the show? I was only 3, so my memories are from replays and other people's anecdotes, but I do know it contained one of the greatest live performances the world has ever seen

It not arguable. As a concert it was an unholy mess. But that wasn't the point. Highlights were Bob swearing on the telly and Bono dancing with a girl. 35 years eh? f**k me where did that go?

I watched the whole afternoon, went out to the pub in the evening, came back and it was still on.

By that point they'd switched to the American feed, and I remember Bob Dylan, Keith Richards and Ron Wood doing their turn in a worse nick than I was.

Highlights? Catching sight of a couple of guys I knew in the crowd shots during Quo and obviously Queen, who'd put a bit more thought than most into it and did that medley mini-set rather than just pitch up and play two or three big hits.

Unfortunately Zeppelin were pish. Plant's throat was ropey, Page looked out his nut and Phil Collins made an utter c**t of Whole Lotta Love.

Edited by Hillonearth

Big Country were invited but their manager told Geldof they'd broken up. By the time the band found out, all the slots were filled but they travelled anyway. That's why Stuart Adamson was there giving interviews and the band are in the final bow on stage.

38 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Queen are shite.

It peaked with Status Quo

28 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Queen are worse than teabagging. 

8 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I was in London at the time and it was the day after my 13th birthday.

Queen are shite btw.

happy freddie mercury GIFfreddie mercury haters GIF

15 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

It not arguable. As a concert it was an unholy mess. But that wasn't the point. Highlights were Bob swearing on the telly and Bono dancing with a girl. 35 years eh? f**k me where did that go?

There was a documentary on the other night about it and this was confirmed as a fallacy. Geldof's actual words were "give us the money" but absolutely everyone remembers it as "give me your fucking money" because of how animated he was at the time. 

U2 said they nearly chucked Bono out of the band for that dancing bit too as they didn't know where he'd gone or what the f**k they were meant to be playing whilst he was pissing around with a fan. A real chance missed there and I personally hold the other members of U2 responsible for the years of shite we've had to endure from Bono since.

EDIT - The documentary really hammered home how much a shambles the day was too. Getting Paul McCartney on stage for the first time in 6 years and the crowd not being able to hear him until the last chorus being a particular hilarious f**k up.

Edited by The Moonster

I certainly don't remember anyone in the pub watching the TV and clapping in sync to Radio Ga Ga, as portrayed in the sycophantic pile of pish that was Bohemian Rhapsody.

I did go out a few days later and buy Beach Boys compilation though.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

There was a documentary on the other night about it and this was confirmed as a fallacy. Geldof's actual words were "give us the money" but absolutely everyone remembers it as "give me your fucking money" because of how animated he was at the time. 

U2 said they nearly chucked Bono out of the band for that dancing bit too as they didn't know where he'd gone or what the f**k they were meant to be playing whilst he was pissing around with a fan. A real chance missed there and I personally hold the other members of U2 responsible for the years of shite we've had to endure from Bono since.

Yeah he said "f**k the address" when they started trying to give out the ways you could donate.

6 minutes ago, throbber said:

Bob Geldoff is probably the biggest pretentious and shameless arsehole in the U.K. Right up there with Richard Branson as the p***ks p***k. 

Maybe not the first example of "charity as career move", but certainly one of the most shameless. Without Live Aid, he'd have been back to working for a living. The Boomtown Rats had had their day, and he was no great shakes as a solo artist. We'd also have been spared the horrific sight of his daughter living out the cliched "offspring of famous parent crashes and burns". As would she.

Midge Ure wrote most of DTKIC, and Geldof was entirely shameless at taking credit for the whole shebang. Definitely a "good guy, w**k" situation.

Fair enough, Band/Live Aid was a phenomenon and did at least some good*, but Geldof is only saved from the title of Ireland's biggest cúnt by the runt in front of U2.

*But nowhere near as much as you'd have hoped.