The George Galloway "Unity Party" thread

Ross.

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

I note that the Express states "NICOLA STURGEON is facing a new crisis after a campaign was launched for a vote of no confidence to be called in Scotland's First Minister and her SNP Government.", but doesn't tell us when the petition was actually launched

George Galloway - Alliance4Unity started this petition 2 months ago

A "New Crisis"? A petition that has attracted just over 300 signatures per day accross the whole UK? Some serious barrel-scraping going on here!

I suspect some of the signatures weren't genuinely supportive of the cause.

I just wanted to support George Galloway in his desperate search for relevance, even if it means betraying everything he used to stand for by slithering up to the Tories. I suppose nothing should surprise me after he switched from saying “I’ll be campaigning to remain in the EU as anyone with any brain cells will be doing” in 2014 and in 2019 to “I will be supporting Nigel Farage in next months elections”. I guess Putin doesn't want to pay someone who most people had forgotten about since his milky moment on Big Brother so he's trying to build up a twitter spat.

11 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

I note that the Express states "NICOLA STURGEON is facing a new crisis after a campaign was launched for a vote of no confidence to be called in Scotland's First Minister and her SNP Government.", but doesn't tell us when the petition was actually launched

George Galloway - Alliance4Unity started this petition 2 months ago

A "New Crisis"? A petition that has attracted just over 300 signatures per day accross the whole UK? Some serious barrel-scraping going on here!

The Scottish DE headlines anti SNP shite daily, this article is no different other than they being a right wing rag are backing a left wing clown like Scotlands Embarrassment Galloway.

16 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

The Scottish DE headlines anti SNP shite daily, this article is no different other than they being a right wing rag are backing a formerly left wing clown like Scotlands Embarrassment Galloway.

Fixed that for you. Galloway is not left wing or right wing. He’s genuinely completely principle-free, and willing to do, say, and support anything that will gain him the most press coverage. 

14 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Fixed that for you. Galloway is not left wing or right wing. He’s genuinely completely principle-free, and willing to do, say, and support anything that will gain him the most press coverage. 

Ego and the money, don't forget the money. A media whore of the highest order.

23 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Change.org are con artists anyway, they make it incredibly hard just to signal support and leave a comment without paying them money that goes straight to their own coffers, none goes to the cause. When they say it will be promoted if you contribute, they just mean on their own website. It's not a charity. And if you give your email address they'll sell it to the highest bidder. Just to get some likes for a worthy cause and probably make their CEO and shareholders very rich. Nothing actually happens if the cause you support gets a lot of signatures, unless a bored hack on the Daily Express happens to notice it. It's the ultimate virtue signalling con.

https://chieforganizer.org/2012/06/20/is-change-org-about-real-change-or-just-pocket-change/

Edited by welshbairn

On 21/09/2020 at 09:49, The Skelpit Lug said:

Ego and the money, don't forget the money. A media whore of the highest order.

I have a theory about this.

George is an extreme example of a type that was quite common when Scotland had a large industrial base.

Clever guy, articulate but didn't go to Uni for a variety of understandable reasons.

Gets a job in a factory. Doesn't like it. Becomes a union rep. This is much preferable. Next obvious step - Labour candidate.  He lacks what it takes to get to the top, but enjoys the spotlight, and ain't ever going back to the real world. So he becomes that most tedious modern phenomenon - a "personality". Even media outlets that hate your views will pay you if you can generate calls/clicks. All the mad shit he does, and the disproportionate amount of attention he gets (including from me) is a function of this.

Edit: we used to call them Corner Boys.

Edited by Academically Deficient
Missed text

19 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

I have a theory about this.

George is an extreme example of a type that was quite common when Scotland had a large industrial base.

Clever guy, articulate but didn't go to Uni for a variety of understandable reasons.

Gets a job in a factory. Doesn't like it. Becomes a union rep. This is much preferable. Next obvious step - Labour candidate.  He lacks what it takes to get to the top, but enjoys the spotlight, and ain't ever going back to the real world. So he becomes that most tedious modern phenomenon - a "personality". Even media outlets that hate your views will pay you if you can generate calls/clicks. All the mad shit he does, and the disproportionate amount of attention he gets (including from me) is a function of this.

Edit: we used to call them Corner Boys.

I remember when he was boss of War on Want he wrote an article in the Spectator saying it was a waste of money sending aid to Bangladesh after a big flood as the place was a basket case. At the same time he was accused of living it large on expenses and was forced to repay some.