WoSFL Premier Division thread

18 minutes ago, glensmad said:
28 minutes ago, Edgar81 said:
Sorry, I don't understand you're question (Apologies, English is not my first language). When a team plays at home - the rating is increased by 70 points before computing the points exchanged.
Update after yesterday's matches:
77.769% - Auchinleck Talbot
22.22% - Darvel
0.011% - Pollok

I've absolutely no idea what this is about.

I feel like I'm having my cyber pants taken down.

I used to own this blog - that's where I started running simulations for various competitions.

Based on a list of 41292 Scottish results and Roonba's club ranking (Mark has a problem with the certificate of the website) I determined a function using polynomial regression that allows me to compute the expected goals scored between 2 teams knowing their ratings. The program generates a random number and based on that value it determines the score of a match. I do this for the remaining matches in HL/LL playoff, EoS, WoS. This is repeated 100000 times.

3 minutes ago, Edgar81 said:

I used to own this blog - that's where I started running simulations for various competitions.

Based on a list of 41292 Scottish results and Roonba's club ranking (Mark has a problem with the certificate of the website) I determined a function using polynomial regression that allows me to compute the expected goals scored between 2 teams knowing their ratings. The program generates a random number and based on that value it determines the score of a match. I do this for the remaining matches in HL/LL playoff, EoS, WoS. This is repeated 100000 times.

Was thinking it was probably something like that.

17 minutes ago, Edgar81 said:

Of course, I should have remembered the old polynomial regression thing, silly me. 

1 hour ago, glensmad said:
1 hour ago, Edgar81 said:
Sorry, I don't understand you're question (Apologies, English is not my first language). When a team plays at home - the rating is increased by 70 points before computing the points exchanged.
Update after yesterday's matches:
77.769% - Auchinleck Talbot
22.22% - Darvel
0.011% - Pollok

I've absolutely no idea what this is about.

Chance of winning the league, i think.

1 hour ago, Edgar81 said:

Did it predict Largs beating Beith 8-1 ?

In 100000 runs, this 8-1 happened only 21 times. I never said it predicted the future :) The program generates scores randomly based on formula explained earlier.

Most probable results were:

9.297% - 1-1
8.532% - 2-1
7.528% - 1-2
7.111% - 2-2
5.522% - 1-0
5.272% - 3-1
5.142% - 2-0
5.04% - 0-1
4.435% - 3-2
4.185% - 1-3

26 minutes ago, Edgar81 said:

In 100000 runs, this 8-1 happened only 21 times. I never said it predicted the future :) The program generates scores randomly based on formula explained earlier.

Most probable results were:

9.297% - 1-1
8.532% - 2-1
7.528% - 1-2
7.111% - 2-2
5.522% - 1-0
5.272% - 3-1
5.142% - 2-0
5.04% - 0-1
4.435% - 3-2
4.185% - 1-3

Ergo a load of dung

Fixtures for Saturday 14th May and for Saturday 21st May have Cumbernauld United and Kirky Rob Roy both at home at the same time.

21st is showing KRR borrowing Duncansfield. 14th says both at Guys Meadow, but I'm guessing KRR will have to use Kilsyth that day too (?)

9 hours ago, Edgar81 said:

As someone whose first language is English, I would love this explained to me. 

Edited by Lurcer

1 hour ago, Lurcer said:

As someone whose first language is English, I would love this explained to me. 

Basically the Elo club ranking used by Roonba looks at the relative strength of each team. It looks at previous results between other clubs of similar strengths and other various attributes of the clubs to predict the likliehood of each outcome and selects an outcome based on that. The user then repeats this 100,000 times to get the likelihood of each outcome. 

16 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Basically the Elo club ranking used by Roonba looks at the relative strength of each team. It looks at previous results between other clubs of similar strengths and other various attributes of the clubs to predict the likliehood of each outcome and selects an outcome based on that. The user then repeats this 100,000 times to get the likelihood of each outcome. 

Thank you very much for that. 

Comfortable first half for us today and deserved 2 goal lead at half time but second half would have got football stopped , but be all and end all when it’s bumpy parks is to get 3 points and at this time Of the season it’s greatly appreciated , still twists and turns to come 

On 31/03/2022 at 08:55, Sancho Panza said:

He may have a point but let's not forget it was his threat of legal action that forced the increase to 20 teams hence 38 game season. 

PS £12k would buy a couple of decent drains :)

Interesting