WoSFL Premier Division thread

6 hours ago, funky monkey said:

150? There's the answer to sustainability at Darvel. Realistically, what size of support can Darvel get? Genuine question. Where is growth going to come from? 

Firstly without a car you can forget travelling to Darvel.

It's 10 miles East of Kilmarnock and there ain't a train station.

So you can forget a midweek game that has extra time and penalties.

No doubt they'd get the same crowds as the Annan's or Kelty Hearts of the world.

Edited by Glenconner

On 19/03/2022 at 16:04, South_Pride said:

Also Troon V Pollok has been moved according to the WosFL website from the 16th to the 30th of April for some reason. Pollok fixtureless on that date. If Pollok beat Talbot in the Challenge Cup then the semi would be the 30th so seems a weird move. Anyone know why? 

19 hours ago, Ginaro said:

It's possible their League Cup game away at Lanark could be played on the 16th (same with outstanding games from the last 32), as Lanark have now finished all their league games so you don't want to keep them waiting too long. Talbot have a game on the 30th as well but of course that will be moved if they win in the cup.

As for Darvel, all of their games in hand will be played by the time they host Auchinleck on the 6th so we'll know going into that one whether they are still in the hunt or if 7 games in two weeks has taken its toll.

18 hours ago, South_Pride said:

If it’s moved for a cup game that’s fine but just seems weird to move a Saturday fixture without a replacement. Hopefully the Lanark game is scheduled for that day. I agree it’s not fair to keep clubs waiting weeks on end. 

Well hopefully it IS to permit the Lanark game in the WoSFL Cup to go ahead but could it possibly be in the hope that Pollok will agree to host a semifinal of the SJFA Pointless Trophy on the 16th in which case they'll need Pollok officials and volunteers to be available ....

5 minutes ago, archieb said:

Well hopefully it IS to permit the Lanark game in the WoSFL Cup to go ahead but could it possibly be in the hope that Pollok will agree to host a semifinal of the SJFA Pointless Trophy on the 16th in which case they'll need Pollok officials and volunteers to be available ....

If Pollok did do that it would be pretty daft surely? Its bad enough there’s teams playing in the semi’s with games to catch up on let alone causing other fixture backlog? Surely the sjfa can hire a venue which doesnt impact on the leagues?

16 minutes ago, archieb said:

16th April for the Petershill v Yoker Junior Cup semi final seems like a daft date given the winners would supposedly be waiting around until 6th June to play the final. Yoker would have no more league fixtures and Petershill would only have a game if they win in the cup on Wednesday.

7 hours ago, funky monkey said:

150? There's the answer to sustainability at Darvel. Realistically, what size of support can Darvel get? Genuine question. Where is growth going to come from? 

Mate that’s it , a few more wilL go when Talbot come down , when all the local boys who left were on committee I was taking a bus to every away game , two and three buses to Scottish cup Ties and that’s when we were in championship trying to get promoted , now mick has better players and a better team and they can hardly get a bus to any away game and it’s no the team on the park that’s no performing 🤷‍♂️
but there is something no right and even against pollok there was hardly anyone there from darvel which is very disappointing , yesterday I felt for the players cause when darvel Scored first goal there was hardly a cheer  

2 hours ago, Darvel legend said:

Mate that’s it , a few more wilL go when Talbot come down , when all the local boys who left were on committee I was taking a bus to every away game , two and three buses to Scottish cup Ties and that’s when we were in championship trying to get promoted , now mick has better players and a better team and they can hardly get a bus to any away game and it’s no the team on the park that’s no performing 🤷‍♂️
but there is something no right and even against pollok there was hardly anyone there from darvel which is very disappointing , yesterday I felt for the players cause when darvel Scored first goal there was hardly a cheer  

says the biggest fud ever tae come oot of darvel. people remember u bein an arrogant fud when all was sweet wae u and the rest of them and on here trying tae bellittle every1

Edited by The craw

says the biggest fud ever tae come oot of darvel. people remember u bein an arrogant fud when all was sweet wae u and the rest of them and on here trying tae bellittle every1
You sir are the biggest fud on here and you never have anything positive to say about anyone/anything.

On 19/03/2022 at 18:59, Darvel legend said:

Comfortable but uninspiring win for darvel , but at this time of season it’s the 3 points that count , two new boys will help the team but they should with the money spent on them But what must be really worrying is with the day it was , rangers no playing and the crowd was dreadful , be lucky if a 150 there 

Rangers no playing 😂😂😂 quality patter.

Sounds like the novelty of Darvels money has worn off. 

4 hours ago, archieb said:

Now confirmed Pollok are away to Lanark Utd in the Killie Pie Cup on 16th April.

8 hours ago, Vale 77 said:

Not at all 

Darvel have previously put out tweets advertising specifically for Rangers, Celtic and Killie fans fans to come and watch them when their clubs weren't playing. Their Twitter account blocked me for pointing out in jest that it was funny that they'd listed the local Ayrshire club third.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Darvel have previously put out tweets advertising specifically for Rangers, Celtic and Killie fans fans to come and watch them when their clubs weren't playing. Their Twitter account blocked me for pointing out in jest that it was funny that they'd listed the local Ayrshire club third.

Very sad-Darvel are miles away and have no connection to Glasgow and there are people who even if they don’t support their own village club won’t even support their closest town club.And that’s what is wrong with Scottish football-glory hunterdom!

4 hours ago, Darvel legend said:

Saw Darvel a few times this year & have to say they are by far the best footballing team in our league. Ambition is great, but if the fans don't turn up how can things be sustainable as John Gall said should he walk away??.

I have heard Davy Syme is on £125 more than he was at Pennyburn Rangers. No doubt MK will deny.

So basically with ambition to progress up the pyramid & as costs increase, how long will JG & MK  last before sustainability kicks in to run village team.

I hope it don't go tits up.

Been there with my team, nearly ott the game, turned the corner now & being run well by good people. Difference with Medda was fans stuck with the club  when needed. 

Hope your true fans don't get landed with doing similar🤞

57 minutes ago, Lokloyal said:

Very sad-Darvel are miles away and have no connection to Glasgow and there are people who even if they don’t support their own village club won’t even support their closest town club.And that’s what is wrong with Scottish football-glory hunterdom!

I don't live anywhere near Newlands but I've been to Pollok's ground plenty of time to see the top teams at this level.

A glory hunter,  mibbee ayes mibbee naws 

6 games for Darvel before they play Auchinleck, while Talbot and Pollok have one each in that time (plus a SCC game between them) - wins all round would make it Pollok / Darvel 71 pts, Auchinleck 70 come 6th April. Rossvale and Kilbirnie away next, both fighting for every point to avoid relegation.

35 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

3-1 to Darvel?

Indeed mate it was.

Not a bad game tbh, Glencairn really struggled to hold the ball up or make any killer pass in the final 3rd.

If it wasn't for their GK it could have easily been 6 or more. Some of his saves were top drawer even if he was suspect for 1 of the Darvel earlier goals.

Darvel, who until tonight I haven't seen, looked a well drilled outfit but I expected more from the big spenders from Ayrshire.

14 minutes ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Comfortable as it comes for Darvel tonight. I have a strong feeling they could have found another gear if they needed to.

As I said above the Glencairn GK kept it very respectable with some top class saves.

Darvel were just too strong for us tonight, but to be honest I expected that. It was a free hit for us really, and our team selection was clearly with a thought to our next game with McGinley, Miller, Pearson, Murray, Mitchell, McIlveen and Coogans all left out of the starting team.

I don't buy this "it should have been 6 or 7" stuff, as a goalkeeper is as much a part of a team performance as a goal scorer is. Spyder made some great saves, but that's his job and he won the battle in that respect on several occasions v the Darvel attackers.

I said early in the season that any team who finishes above Darvel would win the league, and I stand by that.

Good crowd tonight, nice to see a lot of neutrals and a welcome boost for Glencairn's bank balance. 😉