WoSFL Premier Division thread

27 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I want to see my club at the highest tier possible so its certainly not a downgrade. I feared the potential for clubs to stagnate the progress. Perhaps the west prem should be licensed only (with fair notice period of say 2 years?)?

I think all west prem teams have to be licensed within 5 years possibly?

We’re probably about half way there just now and not sure who’s applying this year too

35 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I want to see my club at the highest tier possible so its certainly not a downgrade. I feared the potential for clubs to stagnate the progress. Perhaps the west prem should be licensed only (with fair notice period of say 2 years?)?

They were considering that but binned the idea before it even got to a vote. It was to be 5 years IIRC. Or maybe it was just floodlights.

33 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Definitely not.  If you understand all the workings of each of the clubs in the West Premier and let just say the First division, many wont or cant get their SFA license for a while or some don't have the capability of getting it for different reasons, well not in the near future.  I don't think the East did that, I'm sure of it, and how many have their SFA license in the EOSFL Premier and First division ?  Anyone know.  I'm sure the next WOSFL looking for their license is Gartcairn and Glenafton unless they have already been approved

12 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Definitely not.  If you understand all the workings of each of the clubs in the West Premier and let just say the First division, many wont or cant get their SFA license for a while or some don't have the capability of getting it for different reasons, well not in the near future.  I don't think the East did that, I'm sure of it, and how many have their SFA license in the EOSFL Premier and First division ?  Anyone know.  I'm sure the next WOSFL looking for their license is Gartcairn and Glenafton unless they have already been approved

EoS Premier 13/16

EoS First 8/16

11 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Definitely not.  If you understand all the workings of each of the clubs in the West Premier and let just say the First division, many wont or cant get their SFA license for a while or some don't have the capability of getting it for different reasons, well not in the near future.  I don't think the East did that, I'm sure of it, and how many have their SFA license in the EOSFL Premier and First division ?  Anyone know.  I'm sure the next WOSFL looking for their license is Gartcairn and Glenafton unless they have already been approve

Troon and hoping once funding in place beith will be going for theirs next season

Just now, wow-wee said:

Troon and hoping once funding in place beith will be going for theirs next season

Also Rob Roy next season if and when they move ? When chatting to the guys at hurlford they are also planning for the following season so that should give the West a good amount

When you chat to other clubs it used to be not for us we can't afford it now you are seeing club's all of a sudden putting lights up and more now saying they are proactive trying to get the funding in place so it is more promising than we think .

2 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Easy to compare how many Eosfl teams took part in the Big Scottish Cup against the numbers from the Wosfl..

The more non league clubs you have with a licence then you can have a scatter gun approach to the Big Scottish.

More clubs, more chance of non league clubs playing each and getting beyond Christmas still in the competition.

I'd expect half the Wosfl to be in the Big Scottish within 10 years.

25 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

Easy to compare how many Eosfl teams took part in the Big Scottish Cup against the numbers from the Wosfl..

The more non league clubs you have with a licence then you can have a scatter gun approach to the Big Scottish.

More clubs, more chance of non league clubs playing each and getting beyond Christmas still in the competition.

There is only one Scottish Cup 

The other is a pale shadow of a now mostly defunct league systems national cup competition.

Wondering why Auchinleck do not have a midweek fixture, as they are so far behind in games and are playing in  the cup on Saturday,  could have a fixture home or away with the teams they have to play.

9 hours ago, PossilYM said:

I don't.

Not only because the WoSFL might well have continued to add new members, increasing what "half" would represent.

But much like the East things will peter out the further down the divisions you go. Not everyone will have the resources to do it.

There's also the chance that licencing standards will gradually heighten putting it further out of reach.

13 hours ago, ibenji said:

I think all west prem teams have to be licensed within 5 years possibly?

We’re probably about half way there just now and not sure who’s applying this year too

The SFA have suspended new applications for now, not sure how long that will last. 

1 hour ago, beithboy said:

Wondering why Auchinleck do not have a midweek fixture, as they are so far behind in games and are playing in  the cup on Saturday,  could have a fixture home or away with the teams they have to play.

Not sure why not this week coming, but they do have a few weeks of midweek fixtures throughout March.

You're all forgetting the majority of clubs in the WoSFL moved over because they had to, not because they wanted to get a license. This was never given as a requirement to join the league so shouldn't be forced now (not that the WoSFL are forcing it). The licensing requirement was brought in to gain entry to the Scottish Cup which is why some clubs went for it as this is a potentially lucrative revenue stream, much like the reason why the entry was higher this year for the Junior cup. Progression through the leagues is not desirable for some clubs.

2 hours ago, beithboy said:

Most Talbot fans are wondering that as well or why they didn't have one last midweek either. 

13 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

The licensing requirement was brought in to gain entry to the Scottish Cup which is why some clubs went for it as this is a potentially lucrative revenue stream, much like the reason why the entry was higher this year for the Junior cup.

No, the licensing requirement was explicitly brought in to build a pyramid system below the national leagues. You're right though that clubs saw it as an opportunity to make money through the Scottish Cup without changing their status quo. Which is why the commitment to the pyramid aspect was added.

25 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

You're all forgetting the majority of clubs in the WoSFL moved over because they had to, not because they wanted to get a license. This was never given as a requirement to join the league so shouldn't be forced now (not that the WoSFL are forcing it). The licensing requirement was brought in to gain entry to the Scottish Cup which is why some clubs went for it as this is a potentially lucrative revenue stream, much like the reason why the entry was higher this year for the Junior cup. Progression through the leagues is not desirable for some clubs.

No one made anyone join the wosl. Indeed many clubs would have been better just staying junior given a lack of ambition. No slight on them, they were happy doing their thing and local rivalries were the main focus for them. 

2 hours ago, beithboy said:

With Talbot playing at Home in the West Cup last Saturday and at Home in the South Cup this Saturday, as were a few others, I thought it best not to give any of them midweek games in the week prior to these Cups.

Basically because of pitch protection to make sure these ties went ahead. The same principle was then applied to all teams that had a Cup Tie to keep it fair that no team would be playing in the week before a Cup game.