WoSFL Premier Division thread

7 hours ago, glensmad said:

Darvel were just too strong for us tonight, but to be honest I expected that. It was a free hit for us really, and our team selection was clearly with a thought to our next game with McGinley, Miller, Pearson, Murray, Mitchell, McIlveen and Coogans all left out of the starting team.

I don't buy this "it should have been 6 or 7" stuff, as a goalkeeper is as much a part of a team performance as a goal scorer is. Spyder made some great saves, but that's his job and he won the battle in that respect on several occasions v the Darvel attackers.

I said early in the season that any team who finishes above Darvel would win the league, and I stand by that.

Good crowd tonight, nice to see a lot of neutrals and a welcome boost for Glencairn's bank balance. 😉

Some bottle to drop 7 players when you're looking over your shoulder. Free hit or not that's a risky strategy.

9 hours ago, glensmad said:

Darvel were just too strong for us tonight, but to be honest I expected that. It was a free hit for us really, and our team selection was clearly with a thought to our next game with McGinley, Miller, Pearson, Murray, Mitchell, McIlveen and Coogans all left out of the starting team.

I don't buy this "it should have been 6 or 7" stuff, as a goalkeeper is as much a part of a team performance as a goal scorer is. Spyder made some great saves, but that's his job and he won the battle in that respect on several occasions v the Darvel attackers.

I said early in the season that any team who finishes above Darvel would win the league, and I stand by that.

Good crowd tonight, nice to see a lot of neutrals and a welcome boost for Glencairn's bank balance. 😉

So you agree then that if it wasn't for the GK doing his job it would have been a horsing!?

Fair play to Glencairn they made it a stuffy game and competed to a certain extent but Darvels quality shown through.

I still feel you guys need a big target man upfront as nothing stuck last night to allow the defence a breather or the midfield to be brought into the game. 

All the best for the remainder of the season and hopefully Glencairn stay up.

2 hours ago, AM-1 said:

So you agree then that if it wasn't for the GK doing his job it would have been a horsing!?

Fair play to Glencairn they made it a stuffy game and competed to a certain extent but Darvels quality shown through.

I still feel you guys need a big target man upfront as nothing stuck last night to allow the defence a breather or the midfield to be brought into the game. 

All the best for the remainder of the season and hopefully Glencairn stay up.

I agree that if we hadn't played with a goalkeeper then yes it would have been a cricket score.

But we did. 😉

The two boys up front last night had only started 8 games between them all season, in fact it was one of them's first start.

Edited by glensmad

On 20/03/2022 at 16:46, Glenconner said:

Firstly without a car you can forget travelling to Darvel.

It's 10 miles East of Kilmarnock and there ain't a train station.

So you can forget a midweek game that has extra time and penalties.

No doubt they'd get the same crowds as the Annan's or Kelty Hearts of the world.

Kelty averaging about 700/800 now - think Darvel can get there??

1 hour ago, glensmad said:

I agree that if we hadn't played with a goalkeeper then yes it would have been a cricket score.

But we did. 😉

The two boys up front last night had only started 8 games between them all season, in fact it was one of them's first start.

No like yourself to get bogged down in bizarre pedantry.

13 minutes ago, Shanner said:

No like yourself to get bogged down in bizarre pedantry.

Lol, I just don't get this "if they didn't have" this player or that player stuff. A team's performance is based on 11 players, and a goalkeeper is as much a part of a team's performance as a striker is. For years Celtic fans said "if Rangers didn't have Goram.....". But they did have Goram, he was part of what made up the entity which was the Rangers team at the time.

It was the same as our game v Rossvale last weekend, our fans were saying "if only the boy hadn't chosen to hit it from 30 yards in the last minute". But he did.

We move on.

Edited by glensmad

Are Darvel the best team in the league? They should be given the money they have spent on players and wages. They look decent going forward but susceptible in defence.

Doesn’t sit well with me that a team with limited support can be heavily invested in to win the league and promotion. It’s completely artificial and belittles the good work going on at other clubs in the league.

Edited by Rugbyroader

1 hour ago, archieb said:

Last night LL members voted 9-7 for no increase to the number of relegation & promotion places between themselves and the Tier 6 leagues.

VERY short-sighted IMO!

Self preservation. They know when the likes of Clydebank Darvel, Jeanfield, Linlithgow, Musselburgh, Pollok, Talbot and Tranent eventually get up then a good portion of them will all be going down. 

Edited by South_Pride

1 hour ago, archieb said:

Last night LL members voted 9-7 for no increase to the number of relegation & promotion places between themselves and the Tier 6 leagues.

VERY short-sighted IMO!

Agree diddy clubs acting in self interest. Complete joke. Hopefully the wosl folks take the matter up with the sfa, why not an alternative proposal that the wosl form a LL west from the licensed clubs (those to be licensed soon) and ask to form tier 5. Given the density of clubs in the west and east its entirely reasonable to split tier 5 as North / East and West.

1 hour ago, Rugbyroader said:

Are Darvel the best team in the league? They should be given the money they have spent on players and wages. They look decent going forward but susceptible in defence.

Doesn’t sit well with me that a team with limited support can be heavily invested in to win the league and promotion. It’s completely artificial and belittles the good work going on at other clubs in the league.

I hear this argument all the time, so what if they have a limited fan base, it doesn’t mean that there is any less hard work going at the club, and if someone wants to invest then that is their prerogative.

Radical suggestion, a dual conference Tier 5 to include and replace the Lowland League. Two “conferences” East and West based of 16 teams. Would very quickly be the most exciting league(s) in the country. 

16 is a good number for a league. Could the SFL not switch to 16 a league all the way up, which would allow 48 SFL Clubs over three divisions? Clubs would find the correct level a lot faster. 

Comfortable but uninspiring win for darvel , but at this time of season it’s the 3 points that count , two new boys will help the team but they should with the money spent on them But what must be really worrying is with the day it was , rangers no playing and the crowd was dreadful , be lucky if a 150 there 
DL, Is there a genuine reason why the Darvel fans are turning their backs on the team especially as they are serious contenders to win the league.

14 minutes ago, South_Pride said:

Radical suggestion, a dual conference Tier 5 to include and replace the Lowland League. Two “conferences” East and West based of 16 teams. Would very quickly be the most exciting league(s) in the country. 

16 is a good number for a league. Could the SFL not switch to 16 a league all the way up, which would allow 48 SFL Clubs over three divisions? Clubs would find the correct level a lot faster. 

The starting point to get to a 16 team league is the Premiership. Not a chance those clubs vote for 4 more teams in the league to reduce the times they play Glasgow teams. 

Tier 5 already has two divisions, lowland and highland, so a 3rd one, even with two promotions would still mean a league winner didn’t progress.

Unfortunately the voting process in Scottish football makes progressive change impossible, as seen in the various solutions presented by clubs when the league was stopped in March ‘20 and the fall out after that (and let’s not forget the shambolic voting process that was experienced then) 

32 minutes ago, superpollok said:

The starting point to get to a 16 team league is the Premiership. Not a chance those clubs vote for 4 more teams in the league to reduce the times they play Glasgow teams. 

Tier 5 already has two divisions, lowland and highland, so a 3rd one, even with two promotions would still mean a league winner didn’t progress.

Unfortunately the voting process in Scottish football makes progressive change impossible, as seen in the various solutions presented by clubs when the league was stopped in March ‘20 and the fall out after that (and let’s not forget the shambolic voting process that was experienced then) 

Have a 16 team league with an Old Firm cup where they can play each other all an extra 6 times to make it 38 in Australia and Dubai or wherever :D 

With a two conference LL, the winners could play off for an automatic promotion place. So it’s 2 up from non league to the football league one from the Higlands and the Lowlands. But you allow 32 teams at the level with less play offs rather than 16 and the Old Firm reserves. 

I actually think and have thought for long enough there should be two top divisions of 16 in Premiership and Championship with everything below regionalised.