The Theatre Thread

I go to the theatre a lot, always have. Plays, who-dunnits, musicals even opera.

I was back in Scotland about 3 years ago at Tattoo time and went to see a brilliant one man show about Jockey Scott (the seventies? darts guy). Never laughed so much in my life.

5 hours ago, expatowner said:

I go to the theatre a lot, always have. Plays, who-dunnits, musicals even opera.

I was back in Scotland about 3 years ago at Tattoo time and went to see a brilliant one man show about Jockey Scott (the seventies? darts guy). Never laughed so much in my life.

Jocky Scott?

20 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Believe it or not, I actually typed Starlight Express then deleted it - I agree that neither the music nor the story are particularly good, but when I saw it (in London in the 90s) it was on a crazy circular stage and everyone was on roller skates and that spectacle actually made the evening pretty enjoyable. 

Another slightly questionable one is Love Never Dies - an odd sequel to Phantom, set in New York and written in the 90s on the basis that the original novel from 1910 was factually inaccurate.  Amazing music but very odd story - I've only seen the DVD as the stage version has not yet made it to the West End or Broadway.

Oh, aye, the whole roller skates/track round the auditorium was impressive for about 5 minutes - but if you want that kind of stuff, you go to Alton Towers. Music and story are what you want in a musical, and if they're not up to scratch then no gimmick on earth can save it.

On 11/07/2020 at 23:17, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I've been to quite a few plays over the years. It started at school where our Higher English teacher was passionate about theatre and took us on regular trips, especially during the Fringe where she loved to take us to a Landfill Shakespeare in a Church Hall. But she also advocated we went to see things like Trainspotting (before the film). A cool teacher!

I then had a regular presence at The Traverse during my student days, which I've since allowed to taper off, to my frustration. Partly when the student discount ran out it got expensive, partly I moved into that boring domesticated suburban existence, which I've fled now.

From that 90s era I've got a few scripts in my bookcase. Fond memories of Passing Places, my memory is that Colin McCredie was tremendous. It's a story about a surf shop in Motherwell, a drugs deal and a road trip.

I remember attending a script reading of Gagarin Way by Gregory Burke which was spine tingling.

So it went on. I had a few months on secondment in New York where I went to all sorts of Broadway and Off Broadway shows. Julius Ceasar with Denzil Washington sticks out.

Enquirer by Deborah Orr for NTS made a big impression on me.

More recently Lanark at The Lyceum was sensational; and I loved Local Hero, so much I went twice.

But a highlight of late was watching The Letters of Ivor Punch by Colin McIntyre, which was emotional, I'm such a fan of his music.

So I've been to plenty over the years, but in fits and spurts. Would love to get back to something, anything, theatre based. Just to be in a dark room with that wee buzz when the lights go down. IMG_20200711_225756.jpeg

Trainspotting at the traverse was one of the first plays I saw.  Couldn't believe how 5 folk, a chair and a doll could produce something that good.  Ewan Bremner was brilliant in it.  

I've enjoyed this thread, but then taking inspiration from I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, I started thinking of musicals and plays that would have their stories changed completely by adding a word to the title. I've come up with:

Jesus H. Christ Superstar

Starlight Daily Express

Romeo & Juliet Bravo

Kiddie Fiddler on the Roof

Anyone got any other suggestions?

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

I've enjoyed this thread, but then taking inspiration from I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, I started thinking of musicals and plays that would have their stories changed completely by adding a word to the title. I've come up with:

Jesus H. Christ Superstar

Starlight Daily Express

Romeo & Juliet Bravo

Kiddie Fiddler on the Roof

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Seven rides for seven brothers

Irma La Douche

Ladyboy and the Tramp

Oh What a Lovely Whore

The Pajama Gammie

Kim Little Voice

King Billy Elliot ( the tunes are all marches in that one though)

Guys and Blow up Dolls

Aspects of Love Street

Joseph and his Amazing Technicolour Yawn

Annie Lundon get your gun

Charlie Miller and the Chocolate Factory

The Terracing Teaser set on last night's Off the Ball was very similar to Curmudgeon's post.

So either Tam Cowan has ripped off Curmudgeon and he should get an OFTB mug or Curmudgeon is Tam Cowan.

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

The Terracing Teaser set on last night's Off the Ball was very similar to Curmudgeon's post.

So either Tam Cowan has ripped off Curmudgeon and he should get an OFTB mug or Curmudgeon is Tam Cowan.

Thanks ttb.

They changed the question slightly to ask for musicals that could be linked to towns in Scotland, so that would make it difficult to prove there was intellectual property theft.

I'm not going to pursue it as nobody on their right mind would start a court case they have no chance of winning. (Championship forum for this pish)