The Theatre Thread

Seen a few down here, the first was Matilda with my niece, actually quite enjoyable. 

Billy Elliot was brilliant, as was Sunny Afternoon (Kinks) 

Motown was definitely my favourite, im not a huge fan of the music, but it was superb. The story was very interesting. 

Will get round to seeing Book of Mormon, seems to get good reviews. 

38 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Seen a few down here, the first was Matilda with my niece, actually quite enjoyable. 

Billy Elliot was brilliant, as was Sunny Afternoon (Kinks) 

Motown was definitely my favourite, im not a huge fan of the music, but it was superb. The story was very interesting. 

Will get round to seeing Book of Mormon, seems to get good reviews. 

tumblr_m4tsramCAy1qzyang.gif

When most folk drunk post on here it usually involves a meltdown and a mention in the head's gone thread. I start a thread about the joys of theatre. Go figure.

Seen loads of shows over the years. Enjoyed all but a couple of them. The Lion King is superb as is Kinky Boots. Been to see Wicked twice and would make an effort to go see it in the West End the next chance I get. 9-5 is fun too. Was gutted the Back To The Future musical was cancelled with everything that's going on, was really looking forward to that.

The Edinburgh Playhouse is pretty good. Definitely seen more shows there than anywhere else at least.

On 12/07/2020 at 01:22, The Naitch said:

Does anyone have a favourite show they've seen from down the years or a favourite venue?

I've seen Phantom of the Opera (or just "Phantom" if you're that way inclined...) on at least 7 or 8 occasions in Edinburgh, London, New York and Dubai.  Every time I am on Broadway I force myself to go and see something different, but it usually disappoints in comparison and the next night I head back for Phantom.  From first minute to last, it is absolutely outstanding.  I've read the book, which I am sure helps, but then I would say that's the same for any theatre - you need a little background before taking your seat.

Other favourites are Lion King, Aladdin, Grease and pretty much any Andrew Lloyd Webber (with the exception of Cats which, as other posters have pointed out, is totally devoid of story).  The best performance I have ever seen was Beverley Knight in Memphis, alongside some chap from X-Factor who was actually also superb.  I saw Orlando Bloom play Romeo in some elaborate Romeo and Juliet version, but that was quite underwhelming.

On 12/07/2020 at 04:20, Shotgun said:

I once more succumbed and let her get tickets to Phantom of the Opera. Now I know it sounds stupid now, but I hadn't realised how much of the music would be, well...Opera. I spent most of the evening staring at the ceiling, wishing I'd brought ear plugs and trying not to think how much this was costing. I sank 3 whiskies at half time, which was approximately a mortgage payment but it was well worth it. Ugh.

Wash your...

On 12/07/2020 at 09:50, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Phantom of the Opera is fucking awful.

...mouth out!

On 12/07/2020 at 20:57, The Naitch said:

When most folk drunk post on here it usually involves a meltdown and a mention in the head's gone thread. I start a thread about the joys of theatre. Go figure.

Few things are more enjoyable than a good evening out in the theatre - especially Broadway.  Greasy pizza in a packed restaurant, huge queue outside the theatre to pick up $150 tickets, $15 Budweiser from a plastic cup - what's not to love!?

I get the feeling Hamilton has been much more successful as an advertising campaign than as a musical. It's an enjoyable enough way to spend a coupe of hours, but it has been built up so much over the last few years you are almost forced to class it as " absolutely fucking sensational". Not in my book, although a decent watch. I've never really got he love for Les Miserables, either, although it's got a few good tunes. I've only seen that in York, mind, so perhaps it would be better in the West End.

Just before Lockdown, I saw Come From Away in the West End - a really funny, touching and emotional musical set around 9/11 and the passengers who got stranded in newfoundland in the following days. Proper enjoyed that.

Historically, my favourites have been Oliver, Jesus Christ Superstar, Cabaret and Fiddler on the Roof. I suppose that kind of dates me..

I really don't get the attraction of "jukebox" musicals, and to the poster saying they like all LLoyd Webber's stuff except Cats (which IS shite) - I take it you've never seen Starlight Express? I walked out of that not remembering one song out of the whole show. Fucking awful.

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

4 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I really don't get the attraction of "jukebox" musicals, and to the poster saying they like all LLoyd Webber's stuff except Cats (which IS shite) - I take it you've never seen Starlight Express? I walked out of that not remembering one song out of the whole show. Fucking awful.

Believe it or not, I actually typed Starlight Express then deleted it - I agree that neither the music nor the story are particularly good, but when I saw it (in London in the 90s) it was on a crazy circular stage and everyone was on roller skates and that spectacle actually made the evening pretty enjoyable. 

Another slightly questionable one is Love Never Dies - an odd sequel to Phantom, set in New York and written in the 90s on the basis that the original novel from 1910 was factually inaccurate.  Amazing music but very odd story - I've only seen the DVD as the stage version has not yet made it to the West End or Broadway.

Shows are brilliant, I’m a big fan.

Lion King is phenomenal. Seen it in London, New York and Edinburgh.

Wicked, Billy Elliot, Matilda, Dirty Dancing, all very good.

Aladdin would have been good if it wasn’t for the guy who played Aladdin, he was a knob. Genie stole the show.

Favourite is Book of Mormon. I’ve never laughed so much in my life. Hilarious watching middle class housewives wince, as they’re signing songs about aids and rape.

1 minute ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

I'm a bit of a Shakespeare fanboy - will take any opportunity I can to see his work. I lived in Oxford for a year and a few of the colleges would host open air productions in their quads to reel in tourists which was really nice on a warm summer evening with a pint/glass of wine. Would very much like to see a play in The Globe if I ever get the chance.

I take it you are aware that the BBC have a 'Culture In Quarantine' series on iPlayer just now, loads of Shakespeare stuff but the best is undoubtedly Emma Rice's "A Midsummer Night's Dream" at The Globe (from 2017). Don't miss it.

I love seeing live theatre/ musical/play almost as much as seeing a great band live!

From memory:
Rocky Horror, several times, absolute madness would go again
Cats: twice, loved it
Of Mice and Men, amazing
Carousel: Good but not great
King Lear: school trip in the 80s thought I’d hate it but it was amazing
Macbeth: Loved it
Les Mis: OUTSTANDING
Il Trovatore: Really good.
Scotland the What?: At least 3 different ones, bit of a curate’s egg after the first one
Disney on Ice: With the granddaughters, fantastic fun.
Aladdin: Brilliant!

Having read the posts since I originally chipped in “can’t think of any I didn’t enjoy” I better update. Cats is utter pish and Jesus Christ Superstar wasn’t much better. I have seen Love Never Dies in the theatre in Melbourne and it was brilliant. I get the strange story line but but as a show it’s excellent. We will rock you was okay but I felt disappointed after it.