Changing Broadband Provider?

Guest SJP79
1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Have you done it? Do you do it regularly? Do you have any advice? Have you ever successfully contacted an existing provider and told them you're leaving, only to be given a discount?

BT will offer discounts but they usually try to get you tied in for 18 months to 2 years

I use plusnet who are owned by BT and they are much cheaper, plus you can ge deals for BT SPORT threw them 

Edited by SJP79

4 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Have you done it? Do you do it regularly? Do you have any advice? Have you ever successfully contacted an existing provider and told them you're leaving, only to be given a discount?

I am with BT and have been for 10 years,every time my contract is up i call up to leave.I then get a better deal.

I left Plusnet for talktalk last year, because I got £100 cashback through the Top cashback website. The cashback took about 6 months to be released, but I eventually got it. Monthly cost went from £40 to £25 though, so quite happy. Lots of people hate talktalk, but I've had no issues.

Always, always change or get a better deal.

Having worked for BT for an extended period I can tell you some inner dealings - If you're coming out of contract find a price you'd be happy with elsewhere and use it. The sales advisors will be able to offer you a new deal (And thus extend your contract again). It's not in their interest to give you a discount as that will have an impact of their 'value'. An advisor needs to add 'value' to people's accounts over the course of a week to earn their bonus. Adding value is less important if they can get an extra product out of you which is mainly either a sim/mobile or a BT Sport package.

Each advisor has a button they can click 3 times a week which unlocks the deepest discounts for saving a particular customer - The only catch being that obviously advisors are extremely reluctant to click it because this will impact their value considerably AND many people want to get the best offer possible and then shop around so they'll only unlock it when they're absolutely sure you'll take it.

Completely backwards system and unnecessarily complicated.

• 7 months later...

FTTP is now available on my street. There's currently only one provider, the amusingly named BrawBand offering 3 fairly pricey packages, although the cheapest one is only a couple of quid more each month than what I'm currently paying BT for <10Mbps.

I'm torn between the £38 and £45 quid packages. 200Mbps is obviously a massive upgrade on my current speed, but was wondering anyone else with FTTP can tell me if it's worth the extra for 500Mbps?

image.thumb.png.ffaf7e17fae9688791d58147ef94d446.png

3 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

FTTP is now available on my street. There's currently only one provider, the amusingly named BrawBand offering 3 fairly pricey packages, although the cheapest one is only a couple of quid more each month than what I'm currently paying BT for <10Mbps.

I'm torn between the £38 and £45 quid packages. 200Mbps is obviously a massive upgrade on my current speed, but was wondering anyone else with FTTP can tell me if it's worth the extra for 500Mbps?

Its 2.5 times better

HTH :) 

FTTP is now available on my street. There's currently only one provider, the amusingly named BrawBand offering 3 fairly pricey packages, although the cheapest one is only a couple of quid more each month than what I'm currently paying BT for I'm torn between the £38 and £45 quid packages. 200Mbps is obviously a massive upgrade on my current speed, but was wondering anyone else with FTTP can tell me if it's worth the extra for 500Mbps?
I went from 6 to 150mbps fibre to the house last year and it made a massive difference, everything downloaded was fast.
For the same price this year I have gone up to 1gb. Its mental how quick downloads are

I’m with PlusNet but would like to leave them due to the lack of storage and the torturous process involved in clearing folders using their very slow (pretty much static) webmail. Spend ages trying and failing to delete sent and deleted mails. What holds me back is the thought of having to change my email address. Am I overthinking this? How so people manage the transition?

I’m with PlusNet but would like to leave them due to the lack of storage and the torturous process involved in clearing folders using their very slow (pretty much static) webmail. Spend ages trying and failing to delete sent and deleted mails. What holds me back is the thought of having to change my email address. Am I overthinking this? How so people manage the transition?
Why not change your email address instead of your broadband provider? I haven't used an email given by my Internet provider for a long time.

If you use Gmail you can retrieve emails from other email accounts.

Or, can you access your plusnet email through an email app using POP3 or IMAP? There are some decent free ones available and that would avoid having to use their webmail.

Changing broadband providers because of their webmail seems extreme, especially if you're happy with the broadband in general.

I'm about to switch to plusnet tomorrow.

I have an address at mail.com that I give out when people ask me for one. It's personalised and I like it and it's programmed to forward to my Plusnet one which I access via Mail, the standard Mac email client. Your comment has made me realise I've never tried to add the mail.com address to the accounts in Mail for Mac. I'll give that a go, see if it works.

Be aware of Plusnet's webmail though. If you have it set to remain on the server after downloading in your IMAP settings it can take forever to go through them and delete once the mailbox gets full. Their tech guys have acknowledged that this slowness is an issue and they don't seem to be doing much about it. I've set it up to delete from server on download but that means that the mails only download to one device which is little better than POP really.

Unless I'm really misunderstanding things which is a distinct possibility!

Edited by louisxiv

I have an address at mail.com that I give out when people ask me for one. It's personalised and I like it and it's programmed to forward to my Plusnet one which I access via Mail, the standard Mac email client. Your comment has made me realise I've never tried to add the mail.com address to the accounts in Mail for Mac. I'll give that a go, see if it works.
Be aware of Plusnet's webmail though. If you have it set to remain on the server after downloading in your IMAP settings it can take forever to go through them and delete once the mailbox gets full. Their tech guys have acknowledged that this slowness is an issue and they don't seem to be doing much about it. I've set it up to delete from server on download but that means that the mails only download to one device which is little better than POP really.
Unless I'm really misunderstanding things which is a distinct possibility!
Thanks. I've no intention of using their webmail, though. Not even sure if I have it, I don't remember seeing it mentioned anywhere.

I would say changing emails now, even if that means a little pain, is the best solution in the long term. You can then ditch the webmail and change broadband providers in the future without having to worry about it.

If you want a proper personalised email it's not that difficult to get your own domain and set that up for email.

Cheers. I'll need to look into it all. I think their storage allowance is poor tbh. They give 1GB for the whole account whereas Sky and others give at least 10GB per address. A significant difference. 

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. It's been useful.

• 2 years later...

I'm currently coming to an end of my BT fibre broadband deal, 36mb apparently which looks dreadful for the amount I was paying per month compared to what's out there  on comparison sites.

I really don't need my landline and wondering if I can get away without paying any line rental or will it always be needed regardless of the broadband provider?

and

Any recommendations for decent deals or companies that are out there would be appreciated.

TIA

Edited by BukyOHare

On 09/01/2024 at 15:34, BukyOHare said:

I'm currently coming to an end of my BT fibre broadband deal, 36mb apparently which looks dreadful for the amount I was paying per month compared to what's out there  on comparison sites.

I really don't need my landline and wondering if I can get away without paying any line rental or will it always be needed regardless of the broadband provider?

and

Any recommendations for decent deals or companies that are out there would be appreciated.

TIA

If you can get fibre to the house then you'll get much faster broadband and you can lose the landline. 

I got it through Plusnet last year and it's all been good 

1 minute ago, Homer Thompson said:

If you can get fibre to the house then you'll get much faster broadband and you can lose the landline. 

I got it through Plusnet last year and it's all been good 

I've got a BT fibre box, despite the crappy speed. Time for an upgrade and I can get upto 900-1200 apparently.

I don't want to pay over the odds so I'm wondering what sort of speed I'd see a definite improvement with. What do you think?

Thanks for replying, I can change immediately.

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

I've got a BT fibre box, despite the crappy speed. Time for an upgrade and I can get upto 900-1200 apparently.

I don't want to pay over the odds so I'm wondering what sort of speed I'd see a definite improvement with. What do you think?

Thanks for replying, I can change immediately.

I went from about 30ish to 300. Its noticeably quicker!

• 1 month later...