Bobby Allain

I listen to a podcast that mention Scottish players abroad and he was talked about but I've no idea what he's like.

Olympiakos are consistently ranked above Celtic in the UEFA rankings and generally do better in Europe than them so with no proof to back this up I'll still guess they are a better side. With that logic if Fraser Forster was keeping out Craig Gordon or Scott Bain and one of them was picked to be in the squad (not start) nobody would say too much. If Angus Gunn who is 2nd choice at Southampton was open to a call up nobody would be too bothered. Our last squad had Marshall 35, McLaughlin 32 and McGillvray 27. Surely we should be at least monitoring this guy and it may be worth bringing him in to a couple of squads to see what he's like.

I listen to a podcast that mention Scottish players abroad and he was talked about but I've no idea what he's like.
Olympiakos are consistently ranked above Celtic in the UEFA rankings and generally do better in Europe than them so with no proof to back this up I'll still guess they are a better side. With that logic if Fraser Forster was keeping out Craig Gordon or Scott Bain and one of them was picked to be in the squad (not start) nobody would say too much. If Angus Gunn who is 2nd choice at Southampton was open to a call up nobody would be too bothered. Our last squad had Marshall 35, McLaughlin 32 and McGillvray 27. Surely we should be at least monitoring this guy and it may be worth bringing him in to a couple of squads to see what he's like.

Yeah of the three in our last squad two will probably be playing in League One next season and one will be a back up at Rangers. We probably need somebody to break through soon or GK will become a problem area for the national team.

6 hours ago, ahemps said:

Bobby Allain is 28 and if Wiki is correct he's played a total of 74 professional games in his entire career, 2 of which were for Olympiakos. I'm going to hazard a guess at this guy not being near good enough.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Bobby Allain is 28 and if Wiki is correct he's played a total of 74 professional games in his entire career, 2 of which were for Olympiakos. I'm going to hazard a guess at this guy not being near good enough.

Who knows, they may have identified him as a guy who is happy to be a 2nd choice that won't make too much noise about it. Remember Ian Turner who was a squad goalkeeper at Everton for most of his career? How good was he really, I've no idea? Probably a great thing for a coach to get someone who is just grateful for being there. Scott Bain probably fills that role for Celtic.

3 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Who knows, they may have identified him as a guy who is happy to be a 2nd choice that won't make too much noise about it. Remember Ian Turner who was a squad goalkeeper at Everton for most of his career? How good was he really, I've no idea? Probably a great thing for a coach to get someone who is just grateful for being there. Scott Bain probably fills that role for Celtic.

I more meant he's not good enough for Scotland. We don't really need a keeper happy to be second choice and he appears well off the standard anyway.

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

He's started their last two games. They're better than the level that any of our goalkeepers play at. 

47 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Who knows, they may have identified him as a guy who is happy to be a 2nd choice that won't make too much noise about it. Remember Ian Turner who was a squad goalkeeper at Everton for most of his career? How good was he really, I've no idea? 

A bit shite I think. Ask a Dunfermline fan.

If this guy is first choice for Olympiakos (for more than 2 games) and is playing really well then great, get him scouted but nothing about his career so far suggests he'll be troubling the national team.

Goalkeeper is an interesting position for us though. McCrorie and Kelly are coming through although neither are a nailed on starter for their own teams yet while Marshall and Gordon are coming to the end of their careers.

McLaughlin, Bain and MacGillivray are more in the prime of their careers (age wise) but McLaughlin/Bain are Old Firm backups and MacGillivray was on the bench for Portsmouth League 1 playoffs. Doesn't suggest any of them will be pushing for Scotland no1.

I think we'll hold on to Marshall as no1 until he retires or drops down leagues and in the meantime hope that Kelly/McCrorie break through properly.

Interesting that our ‘golden generation’ of goalkeepers came through when there was a requirement for a certain amount of U21 players to be included in SPL match day squads. This was scrapped and the argument was that one of the slots was usually used up by an U21 ‘keeper. I’m not sure you could argue that the two are linked but it makes you wonder.

I think that rule was a hindrance really. Players who could usually get time out on loan were just left warming a bench in the outside chance a keeper got injured. 

A coincidence I would put more thought into would be Gordon and Marshall (McGregor to a lesser degree) getting their big chance in European away games due to injuries. Managers are far too reluctant to give young keepers a chance in case they can't handle it. Those two got their chance in high pressure games which showed they had the mentality to manage it at that level very quickly in their career. Even McCrorie, for instance, has had a decent number of professional games at a decent level on loan away from Rangers but I can't see Gerrard giving him the start in a European game when he could sign some average English keeper from Preston or some other nondescript Championship side with 200 games under his belt.

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

McCrorie is definitely being earmarked as Rangers' first choice, that's why he's being sent out on loan to get first team football rather than just sitting on the bench. They've brought in jobbers like Alnwick, Firth and now McLaughlin to sit on the bench for now, but when McGregor packs it in McCrorie will get a chance to prove himself.

On 11/07/2020 at 15:45, gannonball said:

Hows Kelly been doing at QPR? Quite rated him when at Livingston.

I checked the replies on their Twitter when he played the other night. Safe to say their fans don't rate him at all.

I'm hoping that's more down to English football fans being thick as f**k, or he at least just needs to go somewhere else to find his form again.

On 09/07/2020 at 16:03, ahemps said:

Who knows, they may have identified him as a guy who is happy to be a 2nd choice that won't make too much noise about it. Remember Ian Turner who was a squad goalkeeper at Everton for most of his career? How good was he really, I've no idea? 

Nowhere near good enough to be a first choice EPL keeper, anytime he got a chance in the Everton first team he had an utter mare and was guaranteed to throw one in. Everton sent him out on loan 8 times and the guy played less than 150 career first team games.

Someone who should have stayed in Scotland as first choice keeper at a smaller club to get more experience before moving on to disappear into the reserves or EFL.

Edited by Junior Pub League

Not sure what the problem is here, were short of younger keepers.

If hes starting games for olympiakos and wants to play for us then let's get Big Bad Bobby Allain in the squad for a look.

Robby Mcrorie looks like a really good young keeper to me. Not really seen him since he was at Morton a couple of years ago. But his ability was clear even then.