Five subs in Scottish football

It seems that IFAB are planning on allowing teams to make five substitutions, as seen in the leagues that have returned, throughout all of next season in order to protect players.

https://twitter.com/NoNot

ThatDevlin/status/1280756442128101377?s=19

This is something I really dislike as it obviously benefits teams with deeper squads, plus it can become like a friendly when you have half of your outfielders trying to get to grips with the game.

I wonder how it will work here, especially in the lower leagues; will the maximum number of players on the bench increase to the 20 seen in England, or will they just be able to bring on five players from the same number of substitutes?

This has been available for several years now to all leagues below the Premiership, just none of the leagues applied to have it in place.  

The squad size won't change, just be 5 subs from 7 but teams are only allowed to make the substitutions during 3 stoppages they can't make 5 individual changes at different times. 

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

Personally I would like to see the SPFL (at least the Premieship) expand to 9 named subs but bring back the 3 U21 player rule forcing clubs to give younger players a spot on the bench at least

Think that was proven to be counter productive as I heard about young players from that era not being allowed to go on loan as they had to stay to fill the quota despite managers having no real intention of playing them.

As for the OP’s proposal I wouldn’t like it. It does generally benefit the bigger clubs and I don't want the league any more distorted. Don't get the idea of jumping from 3 to 5 either. And extra sub in ET in cups I get but thats about my preferred limit.

Edited by gannonball

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:
14 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Personally I would like to see the SPFL (at least the Premieship) expand to 9 named subs but bring back the 3 U21 player rule forcing clubs to give younger players a spot on the bench at least

Think that was proven to be counter productive as I heard about young players from that era not being allowed to go on loan as they had to stay to fill the quota despite managers having no real intention of playing them.

As for the OP’s proposal I wouldn’t like it. It does generally benefit the bigger and I don't want the league any more distorted. Don't get the idea of jumping from 3 to 5 either. And extra sub in ET in cups I get but thats about my preferred limit.

Aside from addressing current COVID issues I'm against increasing the number of substitutes. I agree with gannonball  that this gives an advantage to bigger teams. Surely much better that any player (young or old) is playing somewhere rather than sitting on a bench.  I'd even be happy to restrict it to 3 from 3 rather than the current 3 from 5.

1 hour ago, Golden Gordon said:

I would be in favour of this if the additional two substitutions made applied to opposing teams only, were like for like defensive swaps and had to be made immediately prior to a corner or a dangerous looking free kick.

Do you mean, for example, Aberdeen would be allowed to select Hibs' final two subs as a sort of joker? 5 mins to go, corner to Aberdeen, and McInnes takes off Marciano and sticks Stevie Mallan in goals?

I'd definitely be in favour of this sort of shit.

Ha ha! Your idea is way better than mine. I meant that the opposition manager would swap two of their own defenders before a set piece, meaning they weren't up to speed and lose who they were marking. Wild card subs made for the opposing team would be hilarious!

2 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Ha ha! Your idea is way better than mine. I meant that the opposition manager would swap two of their own defenders before a set piece, meaning they weren't up to speed and lose who they were marking. Wild card subs made for the opposing team would be hilarious!

Really interesting in cup games, as both teams try to impose the entire 2018-19 Dundee United team on each other in time for the shootout

20 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Horrible decision, even in the Barclays it shows how much it benefits the bigger teams hopefully we don’t go for it.

This... get this idea in the sea along with "drink breaks" or any other reason to slow the game down. 

It's only a matter of time too that the "Drinks break" is used as another revenue stream for advertising.. Its already been talked about in Ingurlandshire... GTF.... 

Rant over....

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Approved for the Betfred cup and Challenge Cup emoji854.png getting put to a vote with 75% approval needed to be implemented in the Premiership.

Celtic and sevco yes hopefully everyone else get ta f**k