Cancel culture

He's a skeleton I thought? The Spirit of Jazz is as blackface as the band Kiss.
The character Rudy on the other hand...
f5dba6e7-491e-4d72-9f2b-0bd1ab843d06_screenshot.jpg&key=6b2158893a33dd5a19746636b18fb1d98f2bc386414c0eafa7185cdbc9eac6f4
What about naboo?

It never entered my mind that such surreal and ridiculous characters could be misconstrued as racist.
You could find racism in almost any show if you looked at everything in such a critical manner.
Hes a skeleton ffs.
Is Raymond boombox racist?

No he's meant to be a cop from Brooklyn.
Who cares what colour he is its ridiculous.

It's hilarious that you've spent pages, days even (days which included a time out ban from a mod FFS), bemoaning that folk are victimising and assuming things about you based on a few posts on here, and yet here you are assuming I have a problem with a statue based on one single post.
Yer mask has long slipped.
We can do this to you but you can't do this to us.
Seems a bit hypocritical. Just like your arguments.

5 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Mind and not reply to anything he says after lunchtime tomorrow. Would hate for him to cancel another big Saturday night to get in a fight about those bloody lefties.

Y don't they just leave if they hate r cuntry

What has JK Rowling been cancelled from? Some consumers have decided not to buy her books because they disagree with her frankly abhorrent trolling and bullying of a minority community. The idea that people cannot choose to not consume someone’s art because of their views is absurd. 
Playing down JK Rowling’s opinions as ‘one utterance,’ massively downplays her consistent attacks, only today she is peddling retransitioning as if it is a common thing, where in actual fact .5% of transgender people will  look to do so.

She is a massive bigot whether she’s an ‘obnoxious c**t,’ or not. 

It filters down beyond that though.

Say someone who works in McDonald’s publically agrees with her views.

Would you agree with people going to their employer with screenshots, trying to get them sacked? If not, why not?

People are generally sound enough and “bigoted” views are often born out of ignorance or naivety rather than deep rooted, irreversible prejudice - which is why I’d prefer to at least try have a proper conversation with people rather than just shouting bigot at them.

6 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Birthplace of Sheev Palpatine and Jar Jar Binks so probably worth cancelling as well, yes.

Was it the birthplace of Palpatine though? Or is he meant to be some eternal being from the ether following Rise of Skywalker? Jar Jar Binks is enough anyway, Naboo has been cancelled. Tattoine next, still using slaves in this day and age. 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

Just now, anotherchance said:

Would you agree with people going to their employer with screenshots, trying to get them sacked? If not, why not?

People are generally sound enough and “bigoted” views are often born out of ignorance or naivety rather than deep rooted, irreversible prejudice - which is why I’d prefer to at least try have a proper conversation with people rather than just shouting bigot at them.

No but then isn't what anyone is actually suggesting in regards to Rowling either. What people object to is that she has a massive public platform based on little more than possessing obscene wealth which allows her to pontificate on a subject she's repeatedly demonstrated a bigoted ignorance of. Shunting her out of public discourse doesn't actually meaningfully impact her ability to live her life and will likely have a broader public good of allowing other more vulnerable people an opportunity to live a safer life. It's not really comparable to trying to get someone sacked from a minimum wage for having shitty takes and then making it much more difficult to make a living.

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

If someone in McDonalds was advocating for conversion therapy I'd absolutely want them to lose their job.

I genuinely don't think I would at least not without some form of mediation. A McDonalds employee doesn't have a public platform or much clout in the same way any of the wealthy public figures whinging about this do.

The following sentence from the letter sums up this thread, and pretty much every "debate" about anything remotely controversial in society, perfectly.  It's almost played out word for word and we're not even a dozen pages in. 

"an intolerance of opposing views, a vogue for public shaming and ostracism, and the tendency to dissolve complex policy issues in a blinding moral certainty".

14 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Was it the birthplace of Palpatine though? Or is he meant to be some eternal being from the ether following Rise of Skywalker? Jar Jar Binks is enough though 

You can tell how well I'm acclimatising to working from home because I spent an hour yesterday reading Palpatine's wikia  but can confirm he was born normally and subsequently acquired this power in the latter days of the Clone Wars. No, I'm not a VL.

Edited by NotThePars

Just now, MixuFruit said:

Mediation with who?

Most companies have a social media policy now, don't they? I'd hope that it would go to HR or whoever deals with these disputes. Advocating for conversion therapy would probably fall under anti-LGBT directives.

I only really started this thread in the hope that it would lead to massive heads gones and self cancellings but I've been too busy to read it.  Did it work?  I have a list of posters that I hoped would end up in the bin.