Cancel culture

On 28/05/2022 at 15:56, velo army said:

Where would be a good place to look? I know I could google it, but I'm wondering if you have some oft visited news sites, youtubers or podcasts you like for this.

Firstly, apologies for taking so long to reply to this.

I would say the best resource I have found for this is the gender dysphoria bible. Its a really in depth look at what it means to be transgender and how gender dysphoria manifests, dispelling some of the more common misconceptions along the way. Its pretty long, so maybe more of a drop in and out when you have questions resource, but I would say that even if you only read the intro and first couple of sections you probably learn more about what it means to be transgender than is taught in Scottish schools, or at least was taught to me 10-15 years ago.

Similarly I find that turn me into a girl is also good, as are the transgender focussed subreddits (eg. r/asktransgender, r/mtf), probably more focussed towards people who are questioning their gender but a lot of useful info on what that process looks like.

Beyond that I would say its about finding sources where trans people talk about their own experiences. A couple of good examples would be the Youtuber Abigail Thorn's coming out videos here and here (the first is about being trans, the second about the challenges currently faced by trans people in the UK). I also like this interview with the actress Hunter Schafer.

Finally, I find it really helpful to watch TV/film with trans characters played by trans actors. There's not necessarily anything terribly wrong with films like Dallas Buyers Club where a cis actor plays a trans character but I feel like they tend to turn into an acting showcase for the actor to show how transformative they can be, how much range they have, rather than a real representation of a trans character. Finding shows where the trans characters were played by trans people who also therefore have input into the character and the creative process of the show was I would say the first time I've felt like I could start to properly understand and relate to a trans character on screen. Two I would recommend for that would be Euphoria (featuring the above mentioned Schafer who also wrote one of the episodes which is heavily based around the trans experience) and Pose (which is available on IPlayer and for which Michaela Jaé Rodriguez received an Emmy nomination).

Appreciate that I've written a lot there, and I'm not in any way saying that people need to have read/watched all of this but I think that dipping into a few of these resources would be helpful for most people. Also worth noting that what I've suggested above is very much biased towards trans women and that its not in any way an exhaustive list, just a list of things which have been useful to me.

13 hours ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

Firstly, apologies for taking so long to reply to this.

I would say the best resource I have found for this is the gender dysphoria bible. Its a really in depth look at what it means to be transgender and how gender dysphoria manifests, dispelling some of the more common misconceptions along the way. Its pretty long, so maybe more of a drop in and out when you have questions resource, but I would say that even if you only read the intro and first couple of sections you probably learn more about what it means to be transgender than is taught in Scottish schools, or at least was taught to me 10-15 years ago.

Similarly I find that turn me into a girl is also good, as are the transgender focussed subreddits (eg. r/asktransgender, r/mtf), probably more focussed towards people who are questioning their gender but a lot of useful info on what that process looks like.

Beyond that I would say its about finding sources where trans people talk about their own experiences. A couple of good examples would be the Youtuber Abigail Thorn's coming out videos here and here (the first is about being trans, the second about the challenges currently faced by trans people in the UK). I also like this interview with the actress Hunter Schafer.

Finally, I find it really helpful to watch TV/film with trans characters played by trans actors. There's not necessarily anything terribly wrong with films like Dallas Buyers Club where a cis actor plays a trans character but I feel like they tend to turn into an acting showcase for the actor to show how transformative they can be, how much range they have, rather than a real representation of a trans character. Finding shows where the trans characters were played by trans people who also therefore have input into the character and the creative process of the show was I would say the first time I've felt like I could start to properly understand and relate to a trans character on screen. Two I would recommend for that would be Euphoria (featuring the above mentioned Schafer who also wrote one of the episodes which is heavily based around the trans experience) and Pose (which is available on IPlayer and for which Michaela Jaé Rodriguez received an Emmy nomination).

Appreciate that I've written a lot there, and I'm not in any way saying that people need to have read/watched all of this but I think that dipping into a few of these resources would be helpful for most people. Also worth noting that what I've suggested above is very much biased towards trans women and that its not in any way an exhaustive list, just a list of things which have been useful to me.

That's an outstanding post mate, thank you. Lots to dip my toes into, that's for sure.

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to do this.

29 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Even Joe Lycett is offensive these days. Wonder what the f**k someone felt was bad enough to phone the police on  him.

Joe Lycett standup joke investigated by police after complaint | Comedy | The Guardian

He probably used the word 'gammon'.

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

Even Joe Lycett is offensive these days. Wonder what the f**k someone felt was bad enough to phone the police on  him.

Joe Lycett standup joke investigated by police after complaint | Comedy | The Guardian

The amount of screen time he's given is bordering on offensive tbh. 

On 16/06/2022 at 20:01, MrWorldwideJr said:

The latest episode of Strange New Worlds had Jesse James Keitel as the main guest character. They didn't make a big deal about her character being trans, it was only really hinted at. What they did do was give her  tremendous role. She absolutely stole the episode. 

I found that a bigger deal than if they had made the whole script about her being trans, as other shows would have done. 

https://www.thecut.com/article/cancel-culture-high-school-teens.html

Really depressing article whichever way you look at it.  No-one comes out of this well.  I had previously thought that homeschooling was for nutcase fundamentalist yanks but reading this, I can see the attraction.

18 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The latest episode of Strange New Worlds had Jesse James Keitel as the main guest character. They didn't make a big deal about her character being trans, it was only really hinted at. What they did do was give her  tremendous role. She absolutely stole the episode. 

I found that a bigger deal than if they had made the whole script about her being trans, as other shows would have done. 

Yes, I think this is really important as well. I think its really important that there is room to do both. To have your big 'trans experience' roles/episodes/shows which really explore that and educate people on what being trans is like. But also to have roles where the trans element of the character isn't central to their storyline, its just a trans person doing some other cool stuff, really normalising the presence of trans people on TV, I guess normalising the fact that trans people are real people with entire lives as well. And its also really important to blend that element into the 'trans experience' shows.

I think that that is what really resonated with me about Euphoria (not to bang the drum on it too hard, I'm singling it out more because it had a personal impact on me, not because its a uniquely representative show). It has its big ticket moments and episodes, but Jules is also a regular character. She always feels like a real person who is trans, rather than a character who only exists in the story to be trans. She feels like somebody that I could actually be, that I would want to be, which is something I'd never really felt before with trans characters on screen. For me thats the most important component of trans representation on screen, to create characters that you can really relate to. That has so many positive effects, whether its allowing trans people to feel seen and represented, helping cis people to empaphise and also just get used to trans people or helping people who haven't gotten there yet to work out that this is someone they can be.

Northern Ireland doesn't lead the way in many fields but making stand ups legally accountable for being p***ks is something we should all get behind. 

"Are you now or have you ever been a member of a TV or radio comedy panel show?"

Edited by Detournement

This is the most curious I've ever been to hear a Joe Lycett joke.

It's a tremendous example of cancel culture, though. A single person phones the polis about a comedian's joke, who investigate because they have to, and absolutely nothing comes of it. Truly, we live in censorious times.

23 minutes ago, BFTD said:

It's a tremendous example of cancel culture, though. A single person phones the polis about a comedian's joke, who investigate because they have to, and absolutely nothing comes of it. Truly, we live in censorious times.

LOLWut

37 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Immediately reminded of that Brass Eye episode with the head of the Obscene Publications Branch looking at pictures of dolls with huge penises.

7 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Immediately reminded of that Brass Eye episode with the head of the Obscene Publications Branch looking at pictures of dolls with huge penises.

Superb that bit! Can't find the clip so here's the episode! 

"Your a 2 bit din plug, your a Bush dodger, your the crazy world of Artur Brown"

Fucking genius!

Edited by HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows

On 23/06/2022 at 08:55, BFTD said:

This is the issue for me. I know that "cancel culture" can be the war cry of someone who has merely been held accountable within reason, but I do find it worrying that it's becoming normal to have your art investigated by the police because one person became offended by it. I'd prefer it if the polis dismissed this shite out of hand tbqhwy.