Cancel culture

2 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

I like you chief but think you’ve got Chappelle wrong here.

It's possible, but I don't think so. The most charitable interpretation of his objection is that he was against the addition to the development of "affordable housing" that was cheaper but still too expensive, which is reliant on believing that the multi-millionaire would have been happy with "proper" low-cost housing being built in his affluent neighbourhood. Which, hey, if people want to believe that, they're welcome to do so.

Edit: worth pointing out that'll be no different to any other well-paid entertainer. I somehow doubt the residents of the Beverly Hills mansions would react well to cheapo four-in-a-blocks being put up near their digs. But they'd still be NIMBY c***s.

Edited by BFTD

34 minutes ago, velo army said:

Did a NIMBY murder your cat Dave? It seems like a petty stick to beat him with tbh.

They did, and they did it in my back yard.

• 2 weeks later...

Cineworld cancels The Lady of Heaven film screenings after protests - BBC News

I'm pretty sure blasphemy isn't against the law here. Much like The Satanic Verses, few folk would have heard of or wanted to see this if it wasn't for the protests but Cineworld should not have been bullied into puling it from their cinemas.

52 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I'm pretty sure blasphemy isn't against the law here. Much like The Satanic Verses, few folk would have heard of or wanted to see this if it wasn't for the protests but Cineworld should not have been bullied into puling it from their cinemas.

It is if my memory is right 

I’m sure Donald  Trump complained to the Scottish Parliament about  Patrick Harvie over blasphemous behaviour 

3 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

It is if my memory is right 

I’m sure Donald  Trump complained to the Scottish Parliament about  Patrick Harvie over blasphemous behaviour 

You're right. Blasphemy laws only abolished in England and Wales. We are still in theory as backward as Northern Ireland.  

Although the protests were all in England so the point still stands. Dodgy area letting a few folk protesting stop the screening.

Reminiscent  of the fuss over Life of Brian in the 70s.

2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

The BBC have said the protests have been peaceful so they haven't exactly been bullied. It's more that Cineworld don't want any hassle or extra expense for a movie that won't make any money. 

20 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The BBC have said the protests have been peaceful so they haven't exactly been bullied. It's more that Cineworld don't want any hassle or extra expense for a movie that won't make any money. 

From the report. (Granted it's a quote from the film's producer and might just be over egging for more publicity)

Executive producer Malik Shlibak told the BBC the protesters were behaving like "thugs and bullies", rushing into cinemas and intimidating staff.

Vue's showing it in about 6 cinemas nationwide. Wouldn't surprise me if this publicity is more than a little convenient, I'll be watching it now if I can, never heard of it before.

It seems like they’ve pulled together a load of daytime TV actors and made a historical epic of the Twelver Shia interpretation of early Islam. It seems to have annoyed everyone, the film has even been banned in Iran.

There does seem to have been some intimidation during the protests. 

2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

You're right. Blasphemy laws only abolished in England and Wales. We are still in theory as backward as Northern Ireland.  

Although the protests were all in England so the point still stands. Dodgy area letting a few folk protesting stop the screening.

The blasphemy laws in England (now repealed as noted) only applied in respect of Christianity. 

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

It seems like they’ve pulled together a load of daytime TV actors and made a historical epic of the Twelver Shia interpretation of early Islam. It seems to have annoyed everyone, the film has even been banned in Iran.

There does seem to have been some intimidation during the protests. 

From the film website it seems to be showing in Mali, bit of a hike though and a bit muslimy.

https://ladyofheaven.com/

Anyone would think that the distributors might have paid for the protests to happen.

That's certainly something that's never happened before  :whistle

20 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Ancient laws that haven't been used for aged can lose effect in Scotland without being explicitly repealed

Possibly the law against Blasphemy in Scotland had fallen into desuetude given that the last known prosecution was 1843 but that'll never be tested because the parliament got round to tidying it up with a minimum of fuss (which will be why you missed it)

Hate Crime and Public Order (Scotland) Act 2021
PART 5 

16 Abolition of the offence of blasphemy
The common law offence of blasphemy is abolished.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2021/14/section/16/enacted

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

Looking at the Wikipedia entry for the film, it seems to be backed by a Buckinghamshire based Shia cleric, who considers Hezbollah and the Islamic Republic of Iran as sellouts. 

22 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Ancient laws that haven't been used for aged can lose effect in Scotland without being explicitly repealed

Possibly the law against Blasphemy in Scotland had fallen into desuetude given that the last known prosecution was 1843 but that'll never be tested because the parliament got round to tidying it up with a minimum of fuss (which will be why you missed it)

Hate Crime and Public Order (Scotland) Act 2021
PART 5 

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2021/14/section/16/enacted

Greenie for teaching me the word "desuetude". 

Thank you.