Cancel culture

9 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

^^^^ I read that as 'anti-magnetism' and thought for a moment that the world of physics was about to make a great leap forward thanks to a Scottish football forum.

I'm sure I remember reading that some of the Flat Earth conspiracy theorists have denounced magnetism as a scam, as well as gravity.

Shame Wisbit's not still here to explain.

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

I'm sure I remember reading that some of the Flat Earth conspiracy theorists have denounced magnetism as a scam, as well as gravity.

Shame Wisbit's not still here to explain.

Shares in blue tac to go through the roof now that magnetism is getting cancelled.

• 2 months later...
28 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Glinner's life in tatters. You truly love to see it.

Such a feminist that he can't give his wife any agency of buggering off of her own volition. Truly the biggest voice in protecting women's rights since The Hooded Claw. 

I still can't take any satisfaction out of Linehan's downward spiral. Despite occasionally being a bit of a c**t, I remember it being common knowledge back in the day that he was very helpful to budding writers and people who wanted to get into TV. It's hard not to see this level of dedication to bigotry as mental illness.

A while back, I saw an interview with an American academic who went out of her way to talk to people who were racist towards her, and the main thing she'd come away with was how bigotry had harmed the lives of so many of them. Places they wouldn't go, times they wouldn't go out, people they wouldn't talk to, things they'd lost (jobs, friends, family). But the universal theme was that it was the fault of the people they hated/were afraid of/considered inferior, not their irrational prejudices. Bit of a grim prison people trap themselves in.

22 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I still can't take any satisfaction out of Linehan's downward spiral. Despite occasionally being a bit of a c**t, I remember it being common knowledge back in the day that he was very helpful to budding writers and people who wanted to get into TV. It's hard not to see this level of dedication to bigotry as mental illness.

A while back, I saw an interview with an American academic who went out of her way to talk to people who were racist towards her, and the main thing she'd come away with was how bigotry had harmed the lives of so many of them. Places they wouldn't go, times they wouldn't go out, people they wouldn't talk to, things they'd lost (jobs, friends, family). But the universal theme was that it was the fault of the people they hated/were afraid of/considered inferior, not their irrational prejudices. Bit of a grim prison people trap themselves in.

That’s an admirable level of turning the other cheek from that lady, but when trans rates of suicide and self harm are off the charts and their right to *exist* is being undermined in several US states - no doubt aided and abetted by voices like Linehan’s - he’s so cancelled he gets interviewed by the BBC and the Times, with Baroness Nicholson tweeting that he should be given an OBE - then with the greatest of respect, f**k him absolutely. 

ETA - these are his people now. f**k each and every single one of them 

Edited by carpetmonster

7 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

That’s an admirable level of turning the other cheek from that lady, but when trans rates of suicide and self harm are off the charts and their right to *exist* is being undermined in several US states - no doubt aided and abetted by voices like Linehan’s - he’s so cancelled he gets interviewed by the BBC and the Times, with Baroness Nicholson tweeting that he should be given an OBE - then with the greatest of respect, f**k him absolutely. 

Oh, I absolutely agree. He deserves no sympathy because he's done it to himself, and he harms others in the process.

I suppose there's always the fact that you only had to glance at his old Twitter account to see the absolute glee he takes in it too. He's not reluctantly "fighting the good fight" - he's delighted by the hurt he causes. So yeah, I take it that somehow makes it worthwhile for him  :unsure:

4 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Oh, I absolutely agree. He deserves no sympathy because he's done it to himself, and he harms others in the process.

I suppose there's always the fact that you only had to glance at his old Twitter account to see the absolute glee he takes in it too. He's not reluctantly "fighting the good fight" - he's delighted by the hurt he causes. So yeah, I take it that somehow makes it worthwhile for him  :unsure:

He still has one - he’s @oliophi - I presume Twitter haven’t banned it because it’s only got 400 odd followers so it doesn’t matter. Which makes it kinda all the more galling that the BBC are trying to resuscitate him when his own attempts to platform himself are about as useful as a poke in the eye. 

Edited by carpetmonster

3 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

He still has one - he’s @oliophi - I presume Twitter haven’t banned it because it’s only got 400 odd followers so it doesn’t matter. Which makes it kinda all the more galling that the BBC are trying to resuscitate him when his own attempts to platform himself are about as useful as a poke in the eye. 

Not much of a surprise. As we've learned from P&B, if you're enough of a c**t that you're asked to leave, you'll likely have the brass neck to sneak back in with a false moustache.

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

Not much of a surprise. As we've learned from P&B, if you're enough of a c**t that you're asked to leave, you'll likely have the brass neck to sneak back in with a false moustache.

Twitter needs a politics filter to syphon them all off to. They should call it ‘Potter’ and he’d w**k himself into such a frenzy he probably wouldn’t bother posting on it anymore. 

Edited by carpetmonster
Can’t spell, long week.

He's fair fallen down the rabbit hole of online obsession, like sparring with somebody on the politics forum on here for a decade without taking a break. Lost all his old friends and family over it, it would appear from that interview. I've got friends who I disagree massively with on things like Brexit but after the first few arguments we realised it was getting boring and neither of us was going to change, so we dropped it. It must be massively frustrating to him that the vast majority outside his twitter cocoon don't even think it's an issue, let people be who they want.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

38 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

He's fair fallen down the rabbit hole of online obsession, like sparring with somebody on the politics forum on here for a decade without taking a break. Lost all his old friends and family over it, it would appear from that interview. I've got friends who I disagree massively with on things like Brexit but after the first few arguments we realised it was getting boring and neither of us was going to change, so we dropped it. It must be massively frustrating to him that the vast majority outside his twitter cocoon don't even think it's an issue, let people be who they want.

Yeah I remember being very shocked having not really followed it how he had become such a toxic presence so quickly. Radicalization is truly the only word for it. To be harassing people online, being deliberately cruel to, however you see it, a small and marginalized group of people, to get a warning off the police and still conclude you are a victim is strange enough. But for your wife to leave you and take the kids, and your friends to break off contaxt because your views and behaviour have become so obsessive and weird and still try to argue you are blameless is just beyond reasoning really. I do sort of feel sorry for him but only in the way I do anyone who's been radicalized, not because of his "treatment" by anyone else