Cancel culture

• 2 weeks later...

Ricky Gervais, one man proof that money can't buy you happiness, with an inevitable interjection in the cancel culture debate. I don't even know what he means here, scratching my head to think what "offensive" material is in the office that is out of bounds compared to things still being made today.

He made a show where he played his idea of a disabled person, and an actual David Brent movie where he's obsessed with saying the N word, in recent years! What a guy

10 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Ricky Gervais, one man proof that money can't buy you happiness, with an inevitable interjection in the cancel culture debate. I don't even know what he means here, scratching my head to think what "offensive" material is in the office that is out of bounds compared to things still being made today.

He made a show where he played his idea of a disabled person, and an actual David Brent movie where he's obsessed with saying the N word, in recent years! What a guy

Except he was joking...

Mainly because it is still being shown, primarily on Netflix.

Just now, 101 said:

Except he was joking...

Mainly because it is still being shown, primarily on Netflix.

Is he? Being reported as news, and is the least surprising thing Ricky Gervais would seriously say. He's not saying it's been cancelled, but that it would not get made today. Two different things, both hard to justify 

2 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Is he? Being reported as news, and is the least surprising thing Ricky Gervais would seriously say. He's not saying it's been cancelled, but that it would not get made today. Two different things, both hard to justify 

Click bait news for you mate.Screenshot_20210709-173152.thumb.jpg.d6af2895a55091f02acd1d2b5c3b92a7.jpg

On 22/06/2021 at 15:36, Bob Mahelp said:

You're absolutely correct to say that this is a smokescreen for right wing authoritarianism, and the examples you give are ridiculous. However, they're all part of the insiduous campain to appeal to the lowest common deniminator in UK society, to paint diversity and liberalism as 'extreme', and to silence progressive voices.

Look at what see in the British media on a daily basis....constant attacks on organisations or people that do not fit into this right wing mindset. The BBC, universities, Nicola Sturgeon, sporting organisations, civil rights groups, charities, and more. The right wing press are developing phrases....cancel culture, woke etc.....that are designed to make these people and organisations into the enemies of 'normal' British people. 

The narrative is constantly being pushed that diversity and progressivism is 'anti British'. That it's extreme. That it holds the country back. 

And the most ridiculous one of all, that diversity and progressivism 'stifle free speech'.....despite the right wing owning most of the UK print media, and despite a right wing narrative being pushed down our throats for decades now. 

This narrative has always been there, but this is the first time in history that the UK has a government that encourages regressive, backward, inward looking, pseudo far-right thinking. 

It's a very dangerous time for the country, and we shouldn't think that it's just going to go away. Brexit was a cultural vote....anti immigration mainly, but it's opened the door to those who have been desperate for years to wipe the words diversity and progression from the English language. 

We should all be taking this seriously. 

Pardon my thickness, but are you inferring wokeness/cancel culture originates from the right? 

11 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Fair enough! Should've known, pretty much the same thing happened with AbFab of all things recently when they'd said no such thing.

It’s still a fair point to remind us all that Ricky Gervais is a complete walloper. 

14 minutes ago, BlueBear said:

Pardon my thickness, but are you inferring wokeness/cancel culture originates from the right? 

Wokeness has been co-opted by the Right from leftie black Americans to ridicule anyone on the left or progressives. Your harping on about the 1 percenters is defenitely woke material. Cancel culture is just something people like Lawrence Fox invented when nobody would give him any work because he's a twat.

Guest Bob Mahelp
34 minutes ago, BlueBear said:

Nope. What I'm saying is that the right wing are deliberately using negative, perjorative terms....'wokeness, cancel culture'....in a deliberate attempt to shut down justifiable discourse or criticism. It's an attempt to label those who disagree with the (current)  right wing view on the world in the UK, as extremists. 

So we're very quickly reaching the point in UK society where those who stand up for equal rights......the rights of homosexuals, of immigrants, of disabled, of anyone seen as 'different' from the white, anglo saxon, heterosexual mainstream.... are being denigrated as extremists.  Those who question the white, anglo saxon view of UK history (Empire + 2nd world war = UK always good) are being accused of being extremists. 

We're in a very dangerous point in history in the UK. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Wokeness has been co-opted by the Right from leftie black Americans to ridicule anyone on the left or progressives. Your harping on about the 1 percenters is defenitely woke material. Cancel culture is just something people like Lawrence Fox invented when nobody would give him any work because he's a twat.

Absolute nonsense. 

57 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Nope. What I'm saying is that the right wing are deliberately using negative, perjorative terms....'wokeness, cancel culture'....in a deliberate attempt to shut down justifiable discourse or criticism. It's an attempt to label those who disagree with the (current)  right wing view on the world in the UK, as extremists. 

So we're very quickly reaching the point in UK society where those who stand up for equal rights......the rights of homosexuals, of immigrants, of disabled, of anyone seen as 'different' from the white, anglo saxon, heterosexual mainstream.... are being denigrated as extremists.  Those who question the white, anglo saxon view of UK history (Empire + 2nd world war = UK always good) are being accused of being extremists. 

We're in a very dangerous point in history in the UK. 

Yes, I can go with that. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, BlueBear said:

It could be argued that it does. 

The McCarthy witchhunts in the 50s, the obscenity trials over various publications in the 60s and the various attempts at shutting down heavy metal or rap music in the 80s were pretty much the work of conservatives.

Guest Bob Mahelp

It's interesting to note that the same high level politicians who 3 weeks ago were refusing to condemn the booing of the England team taking the knee, and who have merrily been surfing the wave of 'anti wokeism', are now the ones happily being pictured in England shirts and professing their undying love for England's multi-cultural and ever so progressive footballing stars. 

Right wing populism, eh. Whatcha gonna do ? 

15 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It's interesting to note that the same high level politicians who 3 weeks ago were refusing to condemn the booing of the England team taking the knee, and who have merrily been surfing the wave of 'anti wokeism', are now the ones happily being pictured in England shirts and professing their undying love for England's multi-cultural and ever so progressive footballing stars. 

Right wing populism, eh. Whatcha gonna do ? 

I mentioned this on another thread. That was some fucking volte-face by Lozza Fox the other day.

Ricky Gervais is interesting in as much as he seems to have no idea why people love The Office and I'm not sure it's as simple as saying it was Merchant who was the brains behind it. He did play Brent perfectly in the original run.

• 2 weeks later...

The director of the opening ceremony in Tokyo has been punted after a joke he made in a stand up show in 1998 attracted criticism.

Not heard the joke in context, news reports saying it was about the Holocaust.