Cancel culture

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Its not illegal to abuse someone but it is illegal to abuse someone because of their status if its a minority. 

I really don't want to argue this point and have no problem with minorites getting protection but if you go to hr and say someone called me a x or someone called me a white/black/whatever x then its night and day.

Workplace harassment

Harassment is defined by the Equality Act as:

unwanted conduct related to a relevant protected characteristic, with the purpose of:
(i) violating someone’s dignity, or
(ii) creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment.

Protected characteristics include:

• age,
  • disability,
  • gender reassignment,
  • race,
  • religion or belief,
  • sex or sexual orientation.

Harassment is also unlawful under:

• the Sex Discrimination Act,
  • the Race Relations Act,
  • the Disability Discrimination Act,
  • the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act,
  • laws of common assault.

Again I want to state strongly that I have no issue with people being protected. Its the right thing to do but I was replying to the poster saying its just someone being a dick. I'm saying that there's no protection from this unless (see above). This seems wrong. I respect that you think that there is.

I get your point that bullying can be harmful without being discriminatory and that it is harder to get legal protection. That's not quite what you said before  but i'll not labour the point. 

I guess a difficulty is that it can be a lot more subjective. One person's challenging target is another's impossible task. 

Another difficulty is that bullies often get into positions of power and are unlikely to legislate against themselves. When the Home Secretary's well documented and unambiguous bullying gets condoned by the PM, the game's pretty much a bogey. 

6 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I get your point that bullying can be harmful without being discriminatory and that it is harder to get legal protection. That's not quite what you said before  but i'll not labour the point. 

I guess a difficulty is that it can be a lot more subjective. One person's challenging target is another's impossible task. 

Another difficulty is that bullies often get into positions of power and are unlikely to legislate against themselves. When the Home Secretary's well documented and unambiguous bullying gets condoned by the PM, the game's pretty much a bogey. 

Exactly, the best thing that will happen is that it will get buried or slap on the wrist. I believe one of her victims said they were suicidal. Its nuts that this was swept under the carpet. I wonder how she feels watching her present the coronavirus update. Like she got rewarded for being an arsehole.

Edit in fact she actually tried to kill herself 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/priti-patel-bully-staff-suicide-conservative-boris-johnson-a9370731.html

Edited by D.A.F.C

19 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Is it a problem though? 

Why are folk getting hung up about other folk identifying as something different from something they don't understand? 

I'd suggest that it's not ideal that midwife's are being told to avoid using the word "mother."

It's got nothing to do with understanding.

Edited by Todd_is_God

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'd suggest that it's not ideal that midwife's are being told to avoid using the word "mother."

It's got nothing to do with understanding.

It's hardly a problem though. I prefer to be addressed by my non abbreviated name. Hasn't caused much of a fuss so far. It's only a mark of reference

5 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

It's hardly a problem though. I prefer to be addressed by my non abbreviated name. Hasn't caused much of a fuss so far. It's only a mark of reference

In your opinion.

If it was me, then I wouldn't want to be referred to as the "co-parent" or, worse still, the "second biological parent" 

Quite simply because I would be the "father"

Edited by Todd_is_God

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

In your opinion.

If it was me, then I wouldn't want to be referred to as the "co-parent" or, worse still, the "second biological parent" 

You're saying that you have preferred terms and pronouns?

Snowflake.

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

In your opinion.

Of course it's about opinion. Nobody should have the absolute right to determine somebody else's terms of reference 

7 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Of course it's about opinion. Nobody should have the absolute right to determine somebody else's terms of reference 

And yet, Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust have done just that, and you don't see a problem with it.

A simple "are you happy with being referred to as mother and father, or would you prefer something else?" is all that is required to be inclusive here.

Is it a problem though? 
Why are folk getting hung up about other folk identifying as something different from something they don't understand? 
You can't seriously be defending this?

It's a stupid decision taken by fucking numpties, trying to do something good. It actually makes things more difficult for transgender people, as it's so ridiculous.

Showing understanding for other people's preferences is a very good thing to do - but this? This is just daft.

8 hours ago, pandarilla said:

You can't seriously be defending this?

It's a stupid decision taken by fucking numpties, trying to do something good. It actually makes things more difficult for transgender people, as it's so ridiculous.

Showing understanding for other people's preferences is a very good thing to do - but this? This is just daft.

The bit about the person who has given birth is not necessarily the mother makes perfect sense, but the bit about chest feeding will take getting used to, I'm not sure breasts are gendered objects it's just the medical term for tissue pouches that hold milk when the person, male or female, is lactating, you wouldn't call balls on a woman something else, or maybe you would I'm not sure.

In my opinion, transgender people will always face a problem in society when there are people coming up with solutions then looking for a problem.

Society at large simply isnt ready to start calling breastfeeding something different because they dont see the need for it, rightly or wrongly, and in coming up with this type of thing and pushing it, people will rail against it and look for who is to "blame". Iv said this inultiple threads before... For a mind bogglingly huge majority of people, their gender is one the keystone building blocks of everything they understand of themselves and the world they live in.

If we are seeking to ensure transgender people are considered as just another member of our society, we need to be pitching at a much broader and more fundamental level than stuff like this. There are still a huge number of people in the world who wont even accept that other people have different coloured skin or are homosexual, the world at large isnt ready for this level of detail to avoid offence whilst actual people are still being properly victimised in their droves.

On 12/02/2021 at 22:37, Todd_is_God said:

In your opinion.

You think...

• 3 weeks later...

I love the deeply convincing, "I've decided to move on to pastures new" approach that people take after being told by their employer that their services are no longer required.

More of our account-hopping posters should take this approach. "Hi guys, I've decided to start this account to tackle new topics, as I felt that my raging bigotry was all played out on the old one. Thanks to the mods for closing it for me!"

• 2 months later...