Cancel culture

12 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

I was at a woman's game yesterday. There, as at every one I've ever been to, the shout's invariably "Man on."

I get that they've faced an uphill struggle for acceptance until very recently, but pick your battles...going off like a landmine full of diarrhoea at every perceived slight will likely only be counterproductive in the long run.

This is where the problem lies though, it's nothing to do with "acceptance", it's simply that the product is pretty garbage and has nothing to do with "gender", merely that womens football for the most part is a poor viewing spectacle so instead of being talked up as men's champions league standard it should be seen and accepted for the level that it really is.

Ultimately it's all down to marketing and profitability and this "lionesses" garbage has been marketed off the scale.

I honestly don't get this "struggle" thing either as if women are being persecuted or something, I mean if it's a case of girls in schools not being allowed to play football then that's up to the school boards to do something about it and they're the ones that should be approached for change, however it may also just be a case that the majority of girls don't want to play football, who knows ? has anyone actually ever done this sort of survey ?

Of course it's not only about "women", it's "English Women", I don't see sky falling over themselves to promote the women's game in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, so maybe we'll all need to get some sort of fancy name and market the hell out of it the same as them !!

As for the huge increase in female commentators / pundits as a levelling up tick box exercise, personally I find all this positive discrimination thing extremely dangerous as EVERYONE should be in a job due to merit and not because they fall into a bracket of gender or ethnicity, but unfortunately that's where we now are in society and ironically it's this very thing that breeds hate and resentment but those making the decisions just don't seem to grasp that at all......

I, too, wish I could stop hating people because society has forced me to acknowledge their existence.

Can't we get back to the days when football pundits were in the job because they were just so notoriously good at it?

31 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I, too, wish I could stop hating people because society has forced me to acknowledge their existence.

Can't we get back to the days when football pundits were in the job because they were just so notoriously good at it?

I was talking about the wider societal problem in that part (as you know), taking my work as an example, we have people from ethnic backgrounds and from the LGBT+ community being openly fast tracked, this is simply wrong and is discriminating against white straight people, however if anyone was to say this out loud or question it, then they'd be accused of all sorts and end up bagged.

That causes resentment, there's no doubt about that !!!

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

As for the huge increase in female commentators / pundits as a levelling up tick box exercise, personally I find all this positive discrimination thing extremely dangerous as EVERYONE should be in a job due to merit and not because they fall into a bracket of gender or ethnicity, but unfortunately that's where we now are in society and ironically it's this very thing that breeds hate and resentment but those making the decisions just don't seem to grasp that at all......

Facing this exact problem at my work, its outrageous and got me hauled over the coals for poor standard of work from my team. 

Management have quotas to meet meaning poor quality employees are being hired and not only that but at similar wages to well qualified & reliable professionals.

Edited by red23

13 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I was talking about the wider societal problem in that part (as you know), taking my work as an example, we have people from ethnic backgrounds and from the LGBT+ community being openly fast tracked, this is simply wrong and is discriminating against white straight people, however if anyone was to say this out loud or question it, then they'd be accused of all sorts and end up bagged.

Who are the incompetent ethnic and LGBT+ people who've been fast tracked ahead of white straight people who would do the job better?

What are the "all sorts" that you're about to be accused of for for saying this out loud?

Is this something that's happened to you personally, or anyone you know?

13 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

we have people from ethnic backgrounds and from the LGBT+ community being openly fast tracked

I have quoted this part in isolation because you havent given any context.

I have no idea of the actual representation of people of different backgrounds in your job, but its entirely possible (probable, in fact) that the reason people are being fast tracked for promotion is because people of these backgrounds are presently under represented.

Its a bit like when the Daily Mail etc suggest "vast numbers of asian and black people taking over in this country" when facts and census numbers suggest otherwise.

2 minutes ago, red23 said:

Facing this exact problem at my work, its outrageous and got me hauled over the coals for poor standard of work from my team. 

You work with an incompetent female who was only appointed as a box-ticking exercise, and you got hauled over the coals for your poor standard of work?

Just now, BFTD said:

You work with an incompetent female who was only appointed as a box-ticking exercise, and you got hauled over the coals for your poor standard of work?

I along with others have spent hours trying to train her and she just won't/can't get it as doesn't have the relevant qualifications. There were 30 male applicants and 3 female. Two exceptional candidates didn't get the job as it had to be 1 male 1 female. 

2 minutes ago, red23 said:

I along with others have spent hours trying to train her and she just won't/can't get it as doesn't have the relevant qualifications. There were 30 male applicants and 3 female. Two exceptional candidates didn't get the job as it had to be 1 male 1 female. 

Your work is run by wankers then - I can only assume its some government / local govt / quango / charity that doesnt need to turn a profit.

There is a world of difference between ensuring gender equality at work and employing someone substandard without the relevant qualifications. I would also say that if you turned down a better candidate simply on the gender question, then doesnt that show explicit gender bias (which is illegal, iirc?).

26 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

10 minutes ago, red23 said:

Management have quotas to meet meaning poor quality employees are being hired and not only that but at similar wages to well qualified & reliable professionals.

^^^Who knew?

Just now, red23 said:

Your bosses appointed somebody you consider unqualified and untrainable, and are holding you responsible?

Sounds like you might want to refresh your CV.

Getting sacked from your work for being white and straight these days is a significant improvement in T&Cs from the very recent policy of throwing you in jail for being white and straight these days.

Which trade union should I be thanking?

7 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Your bosses appointed somebody you consider unqualified and untrainable, and are holding you responsible?

Sounds like you might want to refresh your CV.

Yeah i'm appointed as her mentor, the hiring boss says her output reflects on me and my ability to train. 

Indeed i did right after that call