Cancel culture

The Pleasance has come out with another statement, think they would have been better just waiting for it to blow over if that's the best they can come up with.

‘As previously stated, the Pleasance chose to pull Jerry Sadowitz’s second and final show.  Due to numerous complaints, we became immediately aware of content that was considered, among other things, extreme in its racism, sexism, homophobia and misogyny.

‘We will not associate with content which attacks people’s dignity and the language used on stage was, in our view, completely unacceptable.

‘A large number of people walked out of Jerry Sadowitz’s show as they felt uncomfortable and unsafe to remain in the venue.  We have received an unprecedented number of complaints that could not be ignored and we had a duty to respond. The subsequent abuse directed to our teams is also equally unacceptable.

‘At the Pleasance, our values are to be inclusive, diverse and welcoming.  We are proud of the progress we have made across our programming, which includes significant investment and support for Black, Asian and Global Majority artists, LGBTQ+ voices, those from working class backgrounds, and the strong representation of women.  We do not believe that racism, homophobia, sexism or misogynistic language have a place in our venues. 

‘In a changing world, stories and language that were once accepted on stage, whether performed in character or not, need to be challenged. There is a line that we will not cross at the Pleasance, and it was our view that this line was crossed on this occasion.

‘We don’t vet the full content of acts in advance and while Jerry Sadowitz is a controversial comedian, we could not have known the specifics of his performance.  The Pleasance has staged his work numerous times over the years, but as soon as we received complaints from those in the building which caused us great concern, we knew we could not allow the final performance to go ahead. 

‘The arts and comedy in particular have always pushed the boundaries of social norms but this boundary is always moving.  Our industry has to move with it. However, this does not mean that we can allow such content to be on our stages.’

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The Pleasance has come out with another statement, think they would have been better just waiting for it to blow over if that's the best they can come up with.

I dont really care what The Pleasance pr dweebs say, and couldnt really care less if JS got his wee tadger out on stage (people naked at the fringe is pretty normal) but I think the days of it being acceptable to get up on a stage and use the term "paki" died with my dads generation.

Simply saying "I say stuff to shock people" is the cop out of the likes of Jim Davidson and Manning.

Hope its the last time he gets on a stage at the Fringe too - not because of this, but I think he is chronic.

3 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

I have lost friends and family to heroin addiction and gang warfare in Paisley in the 80s.

I’ve seen first hand in the last 10years what an alcohol and cocaine addiction can do.

My best friend in his 50s lost his high flying career, his house and now he doesn’t even recognise his own wife, kids or friends as his brain is totally fcuked from snorting that shit. He now has to live in a care home and he’s not even 60 years old.

This is not a forum for those seeking help for drug addiction.

Coming on boasting of how many g’s he has done on a weekend is not a good look.

Seek help before it’s too late.

https://www.rehab4addiction.co.uk/country-wide/drug-alcohol-rehab-dundee

This is a forum for everyone and anyone. Glad you’ve acknowledged your mistake and hope everyone can move on now. 

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

I dont really care what The Pleasance pr dweebs say, and couldnt really care less if JS got his wee tadger out on stage (people naked at the fringe is pretty normal) but I think the days of it being acceptable to get up on a stage and use the term "paki" died with my dads generation.

Simply saying "I say stuff to shock people" is the cop out of the likes of Jim Davidson and Manning.

Hope its the last time he gets on a stage at the Fringe too - not because of this, but I think he is chronic.

So because you think he’s chronic, nobody else should get to see him. What is acceptable to say on stage? 

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

If being chronic is the standard of being at the Fringe or not there would be about 3 shows

"We'd no idea that the notoriously controversial comedian we've hosted many times before was going to say anything so controversial".

All the best with your sell-out tour of Scotland next month, Jerry!

40 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

Just let the “sleeve tattoo Darryls and Caidens” watch professional weegie plagiarists like Kevin Bridges and Frankie Boyle do their stuff, and leave us in peace to watch what we think is amusing.

You find a guy waving his small cock about in a womans face amusing? 

58 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

So because you think he’s chronic, nobody else should get to see him. What is acceptable to say on stage? 

Fair challenge, I let my dislike of JS get in the way. Fringe is great, but there are a lot of acts I wouldnt cross the road to watch - but everyone has their own taste, each to their own etc.

However, the more important part of my point was that its not acceptable to be calling people "paki" in the name of giggles.

21 minutes ago, Binos said:

The festival is shite anyway 

Other than the pub opening times 

When the 'fringe' has Iain Dale receiving an OBN after a fawing interview with Nicola Sturgeon you realise that 'fringe theatre' has been ruined in Scotland.   It used to be about iconoclasm and innovation but is now so mainstream that the most boring, anodyne and humourless politician in living memory is a headline act.

But then the DPRS is a cultural wilderness.

Edited by The_Kincardine

Getting a cock out on stage is only funny when its done by accident, like with Lenny Kravitz. Getting a ball out is always funny, though, like in The Inbetweeners.