Cancel culture

13 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

You can tell how well I'm acclimatising to working from home because I spent an hour yesterday reading Palpatine's wikia  but can confirm he was born normally and subsequently acquired this power in the latter days of the Clone Wars. No, I'm not a VL.

How did he fit in all that turning into a Sith pre what we can assume was a pretty lengthy political career? Serious questions must be asked about the plausibility of this 

6 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Potentially, sure.

So if you saw someone post something on Facebook in a local group or as a comment on a local paper story that you took as supportive of conversion therapy for gay people, then later when you were being served by them in McDonalds you recognised them, you'd ask for their manager and try to get them fired from their job?  

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

Beyemystic was phenomenal. I remember him wanting Strachan sacked cause he subbed Lennon off in a Cup Final they were cruising. Referring to McGeady as "the bhoy from Donegal" was tremendous.

I'm sure at one point the Sin Bin was him and St Sid.  

7 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

How did he fit in all that turning into a Sith pre what we can assume was a pretty lengthy political career? Serious questions must be asked about the plausibility of this 

His birth into a wealthy Naboo family showed him early on the corruption inherent in the Republic.

Tbf, while watching the Clone Wars I did find it funny that he would regularly go off on an evil jaunt and nobody would notice that he was missing despite being the most powerful and public figure in the universe. 

21 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I only really started this thread in the hope that it would lead to massive heads gones and self cancellings but I've been too busy to read it.  Did it work?  I have a list of posters that I hoped would end up in the bin.

Several posters have outed themselves as Star Wars geeks, so there's that.

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

His birth into a wealthy Naboo family showed him early on the corruption inherent in the Republic.

Tbf, while watching the Clone Wars I did find it funny that he would regularly go off on an evil jaunt and nobody would notice that he was missing despite being the most powerful and public figure in the universe. 

It's well written stuff, that's for sure! I can't stop myself from enjoying it though

3 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

I quite liked the Scottish bits on Little Britain. "Scotland is a country that welcomes literally tens of tourists each year" cracked me up the first time I heard it :)

The most concerning post in the thread. Committing bits of Little Britain to memory.

15 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

If it is explained to someone why what they are doing is bigoted and it is negatively effecting an already marginalised community, and they continue to share this opinion to their huge fanbase, whilst putting up ridiculous justifications and smear stories about said group, then they absolutely should have bigot shouted at them, as is the case with JK Rowling. 

Was the JK Rowling Input basically that she believes what defines a woman is whether the person menstruates or not? Or did she say something more provocative than that?

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

sure why not

Because it's mental and the manager would laugh at you. Total Karen behaviour. 

Everyone is up for trying to get the wee guy on Facebook fired. For some reason they aren't quite as keen on going after the local Bishop or Imam for homophobia.....

1 hour ago, ali_91 said:

If it is explained to someone why what they are doing is bigoted and it is negatively effecting an already marginalised community, and they continue to share this opinion to their huge fanbase, whilst putting up ridiculous justifications and smear stories about said group, then they absolutely should have bigot shouted at them, as is the case with JK Rowling. 

Luke 6 : 37

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Beyemystic was phenomenal. I remember him wanting Strachan sacked cause he subbed Lennon off in a Cup Final they were cruising. Referring to McGeady as "the bhoy from Donegal" was tremendous.

Beyesmystic was the greatest poster this site has ever seen.

This is absolutely it. No matter what your centrist da’s like Pandarilla and JTS think, free ‘speech’ applies to both those speaking and those offering the platform.

The idea that fascists should be given a platform because they will lose the debate is absolutely fanciful, giving fascists a platform leads to radicalisation.
I wonder if the reaction would be the same were it suggested we should give Abu Hamza a seat on question time? BuT fREe SpeECh, bEAt tHeM wITh DEbaTE!!!
If it makes you feel better to think of me as a centrist da then fair enough - but to me your posts just scream immaturity.

I agree, free speech is free speech but I suppose it depends on what you class as 'massive bigot' and 'fascist'. These terms seem to be massivly overused and therefore get diluted.
Is this about the 'people who menstrate' tweet? I am not really up to speed on this tweety thing. Is someone who believes in 2 genders a massive bigot?  No one can agree how many genders there are, it's all very confusing and everyone needs educating. Being all shouty doesn't really help. 
My concern is who decides who is a fascist and ban them?    My gut feeling is 'the law'. Abu Hamza was convicted of hate speech, real hate speech, he can GTF.

Absolutely this.

Folk throwing around labels like 'fascist' and 'bigot' lessens the power of those terms, and demeans genuine bigotry and fascism.
Pish, pish and more pish. Farage has stood for election to the House of Commons in 5 general elections and 2 by-elections and has lost every single fucking one of them. If the people in his constituency don't want to hear his views, why are they forced on the rest of the nation?
How much of a platform do actual, elected Green MPs/MSPs get in the press? Fucking none. So this "democracy deserves to hear from everyone" line is absolute nonsense.
I agree that farage has too much air time - but what is the solution?

The bbc is state run (kind of) - and has clearly moved to the right since the wmd affair that they got shit for. They need to get their shit sorted.

But how do you go about creating a more balanced media, and a more informed population? The bbc is just a small part.

I support any legislation that prevents massive media ownership or prohibits competition - but it's a complicated topic. Ultimately, there are plenty of right wing folk in Britain (especially in 'Middle England') - but what do you do about that?

17 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

No it isn't, it's equivalently bad as saying send them home about black folk. I don't want someone like that serving me or anyone else food till they've had a sharp lesson that will focus their mind on being a bit more reflective about their outlook.

A sharp lesson! Ok Miss Brodie. 

That's  just McCarthyism. Your energy would be better spent looking at how you can make your behaviour more ethical rather than trying to bar people you disagree with from earning a living. 

Again it's always being a Karen and picking on the low paid. There's not many heroes out there telling their bosses that their attitudes are unacceptable. 

19 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

She has continually spoken out on the subject, including the old trope about it putting CIS women in danger in public spaces, as if it’s going to be common place for sex offenders to pretend to be trans in order to have easy access to women’s toilets, and comparing hormone treatment to gay conversion therapy. 

I had to google what a CIS woman was thinking it was to do with someone who had been a victim of some sort of abuse but it turns out it’s a woman who was born with a vagina who identifies as a woman. Sometimes I feel I don’t even know the world I live in. 

1) If a low paid employee holds ugly opinions.; I couldn't give a monkeys unless they're putting them into action.

2) If a famous and highly influential person spreads hate via social media; I'm happy to see people give 'em hell.

3) When a hard working and loyal employee gets laid off so the CEO can give himself a bonus for making the stock prices look good; I feel sorry for them but recognise there isn't much I can do.

4) And when a famous and highly influential person embarrasses their employer by spreading hate via social media; I'm happy to see them fired and good riddance.

I haven't met too many people who disagree with (1).

Curiously; a lot more people get upset when (2) & (4) happens than when (3) happens.

5 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

AF9339EE-EEEA-429C-B3DA-82F03D1425B0.jpeg

I don’t think I have ever met anyone with gender issues before, I do know of a guy who flew out to East Asia to have a sex change but that’s about it. What a world we live in though, I can’t wait to make love to my CIS girlfriend later on. 

12 minutes ago, throbber said:

I had to google what a CIS woman was thinking it was to do with someone who had been a victim of some sort of abuse but it turns out it’s a woman who was born with a vagina who identifies as a woman. Sometimes I feel I don’t even know the world I live in. 

There are a lot of people who live in echo chambers online where the language these kind of concepts are the daily discourse. There is a much larger part of the country that does not really care or follow these kind of debates. This creates a huge gulf in society between those who are hyping themselves up every day and those in the "slow lane". Many feel excluded and left out of politics or at least center left politics that would have been their natural home. Its a huge failure to empathise  with these kind of people that left the gate wide open for the right. Brexit, Trump, Johnson all walked through it.