Cancel culture

Somehow this always seems to circle back to transgender people. The TERF author hasn't been cancelled as can be seen by her work being everywhere, she still even has a platform on Twitter (on which she still has many, many supporters) to attack one of the most vulnerable groups in society and spout her vile nonsense. The mask truly slipped the other day with her crass response to someone asking how she sleeps at night.

2 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Can’t recall the exact details but she was deplatformed from speaking at a university.

Strange as she is a lesbian feminist. You would have thought that would have ticked quite a few boxes.

It was a library. In Nottingham. She had a talk canceled. To which she took such umbrage she started a crowdfunder for lawyer’s fees. This started at 5 grand and then went to 40. Her lawyers wrote a letter to Nottingham City Council. The council then wrote a letter back apologizing. 

This, I would imagine, leaves about 39 and a half grand in Ms Bundle’s back bin. Transphobia is like most other right wing movements; a few vile c***s at the top grifting the living shite out of morons. See also Jones, Alex. 

eta - autocorrect’s fixed ‘Bindel’ to ‘Bundle’ - actually kinda appropriate in the circumstance. Gonna leave it as is. 

Edited by carpetmonster

2 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Somehow this always seems to circle back to transgender people. The TERF author hasn't been cancelled as can be seen by her work being everywhere, she still even has a platform on Twitter (on which she still has many, many supporters) to attack one of the most vulnerable groups in society and spout her vile nonsense. The mask truly slipped the other day with her crass response to someone asking how she sleeps at night.

She’s now thrown the mask in the bin and shat on it by steaming in (alongside her flying monkeys) to Billy Bragg. Having simply said he thought Norton made a fair point, she’s howling at him telling him he condones rape and death threats. 

Not Norton himself, obvs, because he holds the keys to getting on prime time TV, but rather Billy, who’s currently on tour in the Midwestern US, and likely won’t be invited to create a talk show based round  ‘There Is Power In A Union’ on the BBC while Tim Davie is commissioner. 

23 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

It was a library. In Nottingham. She had a talk canceled. To which she took such umbrage she started a crowdfunder for lawyer’s fees. This started at 5 grand and then went to 40. Her lawyers wrote a letter to Nottingham City Council. The council then wrote a letter back apologizing. 

This, I would imagine, leaves about 39 and a half grand in Ms Bundle’s back bin. Transphobia is like most other right wing movements; a few vile c***s at the top grifting the living shite out of morons. See also Jones, Alex. 

eta - autocorrect’s fixed ‘Bindel’ to ‘Bundle’ - actually kinda appropriate in the circumstance. Gonna leave it as is. 

So she was cancelled!

6 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

So she was cancelled!

Would you rather do a talk in a library in Nottingham to about 50 folks  that you’re likely to lose money on when the cost of travel and lodging is taken into account, or have 40 grand in your hip by doing nothing more than typing a few words on a crowdfunder site PLUS the ability to whine about it to a willing national media? Think for a wee minute here.  

Edited by carpetmonster

2 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Would you rather do a talk in a library in Nottingham to about 50 folks  that you’re likely to lose money on when the cost of travel and lodging is taken into account, or have 40 grand in your hip by doing nothing more than typing a few words on a crowdfunder site PLUS the ability to whine about it to a willing national media? Think for a wee minute here.  

She was cancelled.

4 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

She had to take legal action.

She won.

She was cancelled.

She had a talk at a library cancelled. There's somewhat of a difference. Based on the definition (wikipedia; likely as good as anything else) of cancel culture as

Cancel culture or call-out culture is a phrase contemporary to the late 2010s and early 2020s used to refer to a form of ostracism in which someone is thrust out of social or professional circles – whether it be online, on social media, or in person. Those subject to this ostracism are said to have been "cancelled".[1][a][4] The expression "cancel culture" has mostly negative connotations and is used in debates on free speech and censorship.[5][6]

The exact opposite seems to have happened. 

I'm confused; is this DPB and Oaksoft admitting that "cancellation" is absolutely nothing to be concerned about? Certainly seems like it, if this is their definition.

Presumably she should have just got in touch with the Free Speech Union.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

I was banned from the mobile library as a kid.

Was I cancelled?

Have we had a poster yet who's been punted, only to go on a "Div cancelled me!" alias rampage?

Loving Oaksoft positing that left-wingers and liberals would have no idea about what it's like to discover consequences for voicing their beliefs  :lol:

15 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I think you're wasting your time trying to persuade him to accept your point.

The problem is that he's convinced cancel culture is solely about the likes of ultra-right wing extremists and having painted himself wrongly into that corner he now can't accept your point without somehow feeling that he's supporting those right wingers in some way.

With people like that it's all about ideology.......right up to the point where it starts to affect him personally (which eventually it will. Unless he's Mother Theresa he'll be in trouble himself one day).

I'll brush over the breathtaking stupidity of thinking you can speak for me, and furnish an example that even the most dribbling of simpletons can understand. 

Picture the scene. You contact the Falkirk Herald and say 'me and Dawson Park Boy have decided that we're going to stand in the street and shout at some cardboard cut outs. DPB will go 'grrrr' at one of Nicola Sturgeon and I will defend one of Matt Walsh, arguing that his views of impregnating 16 year olds aren't creepy in the least'. The Herald agree to cover you, however then back out, citing it is against their policy, in much the same way Nottingham City Council did. 

You take to the internet to rile up your fellow citizens, net a chunky sum of cash, and national media outlets now take up your case. You have gained more exposure, by a magnitude of literally millions of eyes than you ever would have had The Herald not decided you were actually a pair of dangers. You have been the polar opposite of cancelled. Is that a good thing? I guess, if you believe in your cause, however ridiculous it may be. 

...right up to the point where it starts to affect him personally (which eventually it will. Unless he's Mother Theresa he'll be in trouble himself one day).

Why do you find it so mindboggling that it's quite easy for people to simply not be a c**t?

Edited by carpetmonster

6 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Why do you find it so mindboggling that it's quite easy for people to simply not be a c**t?

His supposed worldview is that everybody is as big a c**t as him; if they don't seem to be, they're just pretending otherwise for personal gain.

He's literally stated as much many times. Cartoon villain stuff.

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

His supposed worldview is that everybody is as big a c**t as him; if they don't seem to be, they're just pretending otherwise for personal gain.

He's literally stated as much many times. Cartoon villain stuff.

Jesus. You'd pity him, if you could bring yourself to. He's Douglas Ross. 

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I was banned from the mobile library as a kid.

Was I cancelled?

Depends - was it because you were going to do a talk airing controversial views, or because you picked your nose and flicked it at the librarian?

5 minutes ago, Gnash said:

Depends - was it because you were going to do a talk airing controversial views, or because you picked your nose and flicked it at the librarian?

Neither (me and a pal were caught kicking mud at the back of the truck).