Cancel culture

5 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Miriam Marolgyes talks about Cleese and a few others from Python when they were at university together and how they barely tolerated having a woman around. She describes them as a “bunch of horrible c***s”.

Talk about dredging stuff up from the past, that was 60 years ago.

2 hours ago, BigDoddyKane said:

I think thats true to some extent, one person says something and its used as a blanket to say this is what the larger group say when its not. All large groups have varied opinions. The flip side of that is sometimes when its been used in this way it starts to be come a line in sand as people take sides without thinking. Its becoming a never ending cycle of outrage everywhere by everyone , Theres some clear examples of certain newspapers like the Mail being right at the center of it but the sad thing now is all the newspapers are doing it to some extent. I would call it lazy journalism but its not even journalism. 

The hypocrisy at times of everyone involved is staggering

btw I agree about Jerry Sadowitz, ive never seen him  be racist though as with anyone im not saying its not possible its happened, but imo people are missing the central point of his act. I was just thinking and laughing remembering one of the few times hes done a TV show. That late night chat show format but with normal punters, sometimes drunk. I think they had to propose some idea and he would respond. Quality show. Think it might have been channel 5 if memory serves me right or maybe channel 4.

The People vs Jerry Sadowitz...lasted about five or six episodes before being pulled. IIRC what finally caused it to get cancelled was the big bouncer/gangster guy he employed to remove people from the stage kicking f**k out of somebody who wasn't for being removed.

Likewise, I've seen him four or five times live and never heard him do racist stuff...I have however been unfortunate enough to see his knob. He was doing a late night show at the Kings when he pulled it out and started wanking over what I recall being one of Frankie Boyle's books.

27 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

The People vs Jerry Sadowitz...lasted about five or six episodes before being pulled. IIRC what finally caused it to get cancelled was the big bouncer/gangster guy he employed to remove people from the stage kicking f**k out of somebody who wasn't for being removed.

Likewise, I've seen him four or five times live and never heard him do racist stuff...I have however been unfortunate enough to see his knob. He was doing a late night show at the Kings when he pulled it out and started wanking over what I recall being one of Frankie Boyle's books.

He's a magician, it wasn't a real knob. If it was he'd have been arrested and charged by now.

Edited by welshbairn

'Cancel culture' is just a re-branding of consequences. It's simply consequences being weaponised by unpleasant arseholes, almost exclusively right wing scum. It's another in their long line of tears over no longer being able to get away with being horrible bags of shit and/or saying horrible things. Their entitlement to being able to get away for so long with being racist/sexist/bigoted/homophobic etc has led them to think they are untouchable and now that they are facing consequences for it they've manufactured a nonsense term to make it seem like they're being attacked. Basically they want to continue to get away with being scum.

Folk have been getting 'cancelled' for years before the term existed. Mind when Keys and Gray were punted for their dreadful comments? Folk weren't mewling about them being 'cancelled' then, as the term didn't exist. Consequences did though, and still do.

7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Someone described receiving a thumbs up as "hurtful" and that he had to soul-search to persuade himself he wasn't being attacked by the other person.

FFS. What is wrong with these people. 😂

Willing to bet it didn't happen.

Even if it did, why are you saying 'people' when it was one person? You're buying in to the narrative, probably willingly.

"Too many are focussing on extreme people" says Oaksoft, as he appears on the thread he only attends when he has an example of an extreme person to complain about being "cancelled".

14 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Willing to bet it didn't happen.

Even if it did, why are you saying 'people' when it was one person? You're buying in to the narrative, probably willingly.

It was a Reddit post that’s been extrapolated by the Daily Mail that Bennett quoted - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/real-life/article-11301843/amp/The-worst-emojis-use-2022-Passive-aggressive-thumbs-used-old-people.html

which I’m fairly sure is why he didn’t link it as it’d have been laughed out the shop at birth. If there *was* a story (and there isn’t) it’s ‘person misreads context on internet’, which is an easy enough thing to do. Unfortunately our resident Geri Halliwell’s bitten, hook line and plonker. 

Edited by carpetmonster
Typing is hard

4 minutes ago, BFTD said:

"Too many are focussing on extreme people" says Oaksoft, as he appears on the thread he only attends when he has an example of an extreme person to complain about being "cancelled".

Do you mean people having their shows cancelled by theatres isn't an almost daily occurrence? But it's 50% of the evidence offered.

The biggest problem in this country is middle aged "progressives" who don't realise the clue is in the name. 

I've been a feminist 50 years/ don't have a racist bone in my body/ didn't buy South African apples/consider myself left of centre actually brigade who's politics hasn't changed since 1992 but as self declared liberals are incapable of recognising any prejudice in themselves because of their inherent self righteousness.

This obviously applies to me too.

Chairman Mao had the right idea.

12 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

It was a Reddit post that’s been extrapolated by the Daily Mail that Bennett quoted - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/real-life/article-11301843/amp/The-worst-emojis-use-2022-Passive-aggressive-thumbs-used-old-people.html

which I’m fairly sure is why he didn’t link it as it’d have been laughed out the shop at birth. If there *was* a story (and there isn’t) it’s ‘person misreads context on internet’, which is an easy enough thing to do. Unfortunately our resident Geri Halliwell’s bitten, hook line and plonker. 

That’s quite interesting. Obviously in that context it’s gammon bait to get them seething at snowflakes.

However, we have like a message forum at work that I quite often give a thumbs up symbol in. It’s easier than typing “that’s a satisfactory response and I’d like to terminate our interaction at this point”. Now that I know that some people might be offended, I can take some small amount of enjoyment from it. Thanks Daily Heil.

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

That’s quite interesting. Obviously in that context it’s gammon bait to get them seething at snowflakes.

However, we have like a message forum at work that I quite often give a thumbs up symbol in. It’s easier than typing “that’s a satisfactory response and I’d like to terminate our interaction at this point”. Now that I know that some people might be offended, I can take some small amount of enjoyment from it. Thanks Daily Heil.

👍

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

That's it, I'm fucking green-dotting every cunty alias to see the seethe.

As I said above people think this is about racist right wingers but that is clearly blinkered thinking which misses the bigger picture.

There have been a lot of beige thinkers sidelined from their jobs in American academia. For an industry which is supposedly about understanding the world we live in, they're incredibly insular and parochial.

[mention=48662]Scottsdad[/mention] should find an old tweet from the prof saying something like "The progression of the two 100m records shows that women have ceased to evolve while men continue to break new ground." That'd be his problem sorted.