Cancel culture

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Unsurprisingly, that nutter Linehan has taken this as a personal attack and has denounced Graham Norton as homophobe. He's even claiming to be the man that made Norton's career.

Norton didn't even mention Linehan, the boy's gone pure mental.

13 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

In which world are people being cancelled?

In a world in which Paypal accounts are terminated with no notice, preventing income and where venues can cancel your shows with zero notice or compensation for you or your audience based on what they read about you on Twitter.

That's two things for a start.

People can argue about the rights or wrongs of such things but to claim "cancel culture doesn't exist" is pig ignorance or deliberate distortion of the truth whilst treating people like idiots.

The free market is not cancellation. 

Meanwhile Louis CK's 'cancellation' has been so devastating that he won a Grammy this year. 

Payment providers have been arseholes about handling money for all sorts of (mainly left-leaning/liberal) groups for literally as long as payment providers have existed. You'd think an employee of feminist adult movie makers would know this.

But Oaksoft's just heard about it, so it's modern cancel culture. Damn those millennials!

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Norton didn't even mention Linehan, the boy's gone pure mental.

Having heard/read the hysterical shite that Linehan comes out with, I certainly won't be watching that, but I'm guessing he heard Norton being asked about JK Rowling, not immediately jumping to her defence, and saw an opportunity for another tantrum.

It doesn't surprise me to see that he's claiming to have "made" Graham Norton either, as he came out with something similar about Limmy ages back. He gave the impression of being keen to help breakthrough talent many years ago, but it appears it was to hitch his ego to their star, rather than out of decency.

👍

Gen Z is calling for people to stop using the thumbs up emoji, claiming it comes across as ‘rude’ and ‘hostile’... and that's not the only emoji they've got an issue with. Anyone else now wondering how many people they’ve accidentally offended over the years?

Yep - according to the younger generation, the little thumbs up sign no longer translates to ‘OK’ or ‘job well done’, but is instead deemed to be ‘passive aggressive

29 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Doesn't this whole story stem from literally one Reddit post?

That's pretty much the MO of cancel culture, find a single person who thinks something and apply to a much larger group of people - ideally a whole generation.

It's complete pish.

Also I know I'm quite a few pages late on this, but I'm a fan of Jerry Sadowitz and have been to a few of his shows. If he is coming out with racist pish he 100% deserves to be cancelled. That wasn't in any of the shows I went to.

Agreed with Graham Norton, cancel culture is about accountability.

Darren Grimes is the UK version of Charlie Kirk, a complete car crash but it's hard to take your eyes off. Fair play to him for grifting a career out of absolutely nothing. I hope they both end up like Alex Jones (and I hope things get even worse for Alex Jones).

Edited by Satoshi

7 hours ago, Satoshi said:

That's pretty much the MO of cancel culture, find a single person who thinks something and apply to a much larger group of people - ideally a whole generation.

It's complete pish.

Also I know I'm quite a few pages late on this, but I'm a fan of Jerry Sadowitz and have been to a few of his shows. If he is coming out with racist pish he 100% deserves to be cancelled. That wasn't in any of the shows I went to.

Agreed with Graham Norton, cancel culture is about accountability.

Darren Grimes is the UK version of Charlie Kirk, a complete car crash but it's hard to take your eyes off. Fair play to him for grifting a career out of absolutely nothing. I hope they both end up like Alex Jones (and I hope things get even worse for Alex Jones).

I think thats true to some extent, one person says something and its used as a blanket to say this is what the larger group say when its not. All large groups have varied opinions. The flip side of that is sometimes when its been used in this way it starts to be come a line in sand as people take sides without thinking. Its becoming a never ending cycle of outrage everywhere by everyone , Theres some clear examples of certain newspapers like the Mail being right at the center of it but the sad thing now is all the newspapers are doing it to some extent. I would call it lazy journalism but its not even journalism. 

The hypocrisy at times of everyone involved is staggering

btw I agree about Jerry Sadowitz, ive never seen him  be racist though as with anyone im not saying its not possible its happened, but imo people are missing the central point of his act. I was just thinking and laughing remembering one of the few times hes done a TV show. That late night chat show format but with normal punters, sometimes drunk. I think they had to propose some idea and he would respond. Quality show. Think it might have been channel 5 if memory serves me right or maybe channel 4.

Edited by BigDoddyKane

19 hours ago, Clown Job said:

For me, it’s less about Cleese or Piers Morgan, and more about the general road that this sort of thing goes down, especially when it relates to Joe Bloggs.

To deny cancel culture exists is to deny that people haven’t got into serious shit for things they’ve said online, things that might have been dug up from years ago with all context deliberately removed and expressing views which might have been seen as more acceptable even 5-10 years ago - there’ll have been plenty of cases like this which will have gone to court and well documented etc - so to deny it even exists is flat earth stuff.

Even in those cases where someone has 100% fucked up, it benefits society if they’re given a chance to be to reflect, and better themselves. If you just throw them in life’s bin based on “consequences” or “accountability” then they might as well keep being bigoted or whatever, which is surely counterproductive. It’s essentially some on the left abandoning left wing values and advocating “consequences” which could mean literally anything.

28 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

For me, it’s less about Cleese or Piers Morgan, and more about the general road that this sort of thing goes down, especially when it relates to Joe Bloggs.

To deny cancel culture exists is to deny that people haven’t got into serious shit for things they’ve said online, things that might have been dug up from years ago with all context deliberately removed and expressing views which might have been seen as more acceptable even 5-10 years ago - there’ll have been plenty of cases like this which will have gone to court and well documented etc - so to deny it even exists is flat earth stuff.

Even in those cases where someone has 100% fucked up, it benefits society if they’re given a chance to be to reflect, and better themselves. If you just throw them in life’s bin based on “consequences” or “accountability” then they might as well keep being bigoted or whatever, which is surely counterproductive. It’s essentially some on the left abandoning left wing values and advocating “consequences” which could mean literally anything.

I agree with this up to a point. 

“cancel culture” means a lot of different things to different people.  Many of the phenomena that it describes are real. Some of them are illusions conjured by right wing whack jobs. 

I don’t think that all of the things that people mean by “cancel culture” are necessarily bad things.

The de-platforming aspect mentioned by @oaksoft for example isn’t necessarily a problem. I agree that it is a real thing. If people who own or run venues don’t want that venue associated with a given ideology or ideas then what’s wrong with that? 

I’m not really aware off the top of my head of any circumstances where people have been ostracised for historical social media posts in the way you suggest, except a couple of police I recall who were active members of far right organisations posting racist comments. There’s no way they could keep their jobs.  There may well be a load of examples but I don’t know them.

There does appear to be a twitchiness about political correctness that is very confined to American academia. People have lost their jobs for challenging assumptions and received values in a way that I think is concerning. I think this is a real problem but it’s very far from the widespread wokery that the right  uses as a bogeyman.

Then there’s the social media pile ons which I think is what most people mean.  My view is that these aren’t a fetter on free speech at all but an essential and integral part of how free speech should work. I know that many on this board sneer at the concept of the marketplace of ideas, but that’s what social media is. You peddle shit ideas, you cause harm, you bear the cost. But I can see your point that it’s not nearly  a perfect market and those costs aren’t necessarily proportional to the harm caused.