Cancel culture

9 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

We recently received an e-mail from HR stating that they were running a Management fast track scheme and that all us managers had to identify people in our teams with "talent", however anyone identifying as LGBT+ or from an ethnic background were to be enrolled in the scheme automatically if they wished to progress.

I would also add that you are the one that's used the word "incompetent", not I.

What about the cripples, were they allowed to enter?

100%
The usual P&B suspects can't seem to handle any truth that they feel threatens their child like moral viewpoint of the big bad world out there.
As always they react with childish memes, sarcastic posts, wee red dots and nonsensical arguments rather than attempting to discuss anything like adults.
They must be permanently offended.....
Thing is, usually, and I'd hazard in the huge majority of cases, there isn't actually a HR policy in place to mandate the hiring of X number of Y sort of human. All there is is policies in place to prevent discrimination.

This is objectively a good thing, but much like other popular tropes such as "foreigners taking our jobs" the usual lines about positive discrimination just never stack up to have any basis in reality.

So youl have to forgive P&B for treating your post as having something else behind it, since for most of us that look beyond Facebook meme style bigotry, that's usually the truth of the matter.

10 minutes ago, Gnash said:

Not exactly cancel culture, but this shows how unbelievably sensitive (in the literal sense) some people are:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-62552706

Hopefully this causes right wingers to start drinking paint in solidarity with Crown against the woke mob.

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

If someone isn't incompetent, why would you feel aggrieved about them being appointed to the position?

Have you been told to send LGBT+ or people from an ethnic background to this course at the expense of other people?

Are you aware of the trend for people to advance those from a similar background to themselves, rather than those best equipped for the job?

I find this pretty simple, why are we singling out people at all based on sexual orientation or ethnic background.

Surely it should just be anyone with talent, irrespective of anything else ??

That's the straightforward point I'm trying to make.

Not exactly cancel culture, but this shows how unbelievably sensitive (in the literal sense) some people are:

Hadn't seen the advert but gave it a watch. The argument seems to be that Crown have implied the lassie conned the guy in to having a baby. Other than being a shite advert, the line early on goes "Dave said 'Shall we have a baby?' Hannah said 'Naw, not ever'". He clearly wanted a baby so someone would need to explain to me how they are offended that the women is being accused of conning the guy.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

I find this pretty simple, why are we singling out people at all based on sexual orientation or ethnic background.

And the straightforward point that I'm trying to make is that hasn't happened historically when people and organisations were left to their own devices.

I'm still seething about Communism not working, but there comes a point where you have to look at human nature and accept that it's naïve to expect people to behave the way they're supposed to all the time.

23 minutes ago, Gnash said:

I saw Jenny Eclair (well she was a support act for Mark Thomas) at the Half Moon in Putney in about 1993.  She was about as funny as stepping in dogshit then (endless songs about vibrators) and I can assume she hasn't improved with age. 

Thing is, usually, and I'd hazard in the huge majority of cases, there isn't actually a HR policy in place to mandate the hiring of X number of Y sort of human. All there is is policies in place to prevent discrimination.

You're right, usually and in the vast majority of cases that is probably true. However that leaves a good amount of businesses through incompetence, tryhardery or whatever do discriminate. I wouldn't dismiss Wattoo's claims out of hand.

Crown Paints should get Jenny to write their material..
image.png.2c4b0a91762d0306c7ce389fa3a8695c.png

That's the best line? Must be all in the delivery.

I've interviewed many people for jobs in the public and private sector and have never been even remotely pressured to hire for diversity quotas. 

I did hire a Nigerian lady and not hire a middle aged white man (LBGTQ status unknown) but that's a reflection on their cvs not on any other characteristics. 

27 minutes ago, Gnash said:

Here it is, if anyone gives a f**k. It's just weird; presumably Hannah puts it about a bit and Dave has to put up with her being a dirty shagger, which is an odd thing to stick in your commercial for wall coverings. Christ knows what's got Jenny Eclair's knickers in a twist.

The most important thing here is that these 'Life Stories' commercials can get to f**k, and that includes Tesco, Nationwide, and anyone else doing them. They're patronising and almost always feature insufferably twee music. Awful.

5 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I've interviewed many people for jobs in the public and private sector and have never been even remotely pressured to hire for diversity quotas. 

I did hire a Nigerian lady and not hire a middle aged white man (LBGTQ status unknown) but that's a reflection on their cvs not on any other characteristics. 

Come the anti-PC revolution, your name shall go on the list!

24 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's because we know that there is a measurable gender pay gap (between 10 and 20%) and an under representation of genders and minorities in more senior positions and an over representation in more junior entry positions. 

You can validly argue for or against positive discrimination as the or a solution but first you have to accept that there is a problem which needs addressed. 

Not pointing fingers at you especially but I often hear criticisms like the ones you are making that appear to come from a place which believes there isn't an issue. 

Exactly because of our rich, storied and in many cases ongoing history of singling people out. Such as in the cases you mention, illegalising certain sexual orientation or enslaving/segregating certai ethnic backgrounds.

I find it slightly odd that moves to increase fairness, one day towards a parity that means these characteristics no longer even need to be considered or acknowledged, suddenly becomes unfairness to the oppressed straight white male.

Your going to have to think outside your own horizons here for this one to make sense.

Diversity quotas and the like are there to address generations of discrimination, not generate more.

27 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I saw Jenny Eclair (well she was a support act for Mark Thomas) at the Half Moon in Putney in about 1993.  She was about as funny as stepping in dogshit then (endless songs about vibrators) and I can assume she hasn't improved with age. 

I saw her at a station about 3 years ago.  She was with David Baddiel. If you can judge someone by the company they keep then she's actually got less funny.