Cancel culture

8 minutes ago, Empty It said:

The fringe is shite, it's just a gathering of pretentious wankers who just have to be seen at the fringe for all their social media followers. 

No.  The Fringe of 40 years ago was all about pretentious wankers.  The Fringe of today is all about the mainstream and the commercial.

The Fringe needs a Fringe.

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I dont really care what The Pleasance pr dweebs say, and couldnt really care less if JS got his wee tadger out on stage (people naked at the fringe is pretty normal) but I think the days of it being acceptable to get up on a stage and use the term "paki" died with my dads generation.

Appreciate you mean in context of abuse, but thought it worth mentioning that Paki, and other slurs, were used in Richard Herring's Hitler Moustache show, and that was a polemic against racism. IIRC he claimed to "hate Pakis" as part of the routine, but the context was critical, as it was a theatrical conceit to mock the hypocrisies and irrationalities of racists.

Hope they cancel more Fringe shows tbh. An absolute bloated abomination now that closes off public spaces to residents purely to fill the pockets of the 5%.

Except The Ladyboys of Bangkok obviously. Was there on Friday and it was superb.

2 minutes ago, Stringer Bell said:

Hope they cancel more Fringe shows tbh. An absolute bloated abomination now that closes off public spaces to residents purely to fill the pockets of the 5%.

Except The Ladyboys of Bangkok obviously. Was there on Friday and it was superb.

I'm off to see Shannon Matthews the Musical for a second time next week. Only thing I've genuinely enjoyed at the Fringe for years.

5 minutes ago, Stringer Bell said:

It is busy - but I do like the Fringe.

We are just off the Meadows so dead handy for George Sq etc - we booked up a fair few things early on and have 3 shows next week and a couple the week after. Think it works better if you dip in and out - would be mental to spend a whole day doing 3 or 4 shows.

Also did Simple Minds on Friday - they were excellent.

Strangely, never seen the Ladyboys

6 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I like how the Pleasance's follow-up statement implies that they are perfectly content to host acts indulging in moderate racism and misogyny, but extreme stuff is just a step too far.

It was like a parody of virtue signalling, meaningless HR tosh. If they weren't going to be specific about their objections they should have just stayed quiet.

17 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I like how the Pleasance's follow-up statement implies that they are perfectly content to host acts indulging in moderate racism and misogyny, but extreme stuff is just a step too far.

Personal highlight was the suggestion that even mere depictions of arbitrary “unacceptable actions” would result in similar action being taken.

Doing impressions of Trump saying Trumpy things, which is about as weak as patter gets, would therefore fall foul too.

I’m guessing the statement guy is best sticking to making sure there’s enough crisps and lager in stock rather than doing the whole paragon of virtue thing.

14 hours ago, Glen Sannox said:

So because you think he’s chronic, nobody else should get to see him. What is acceptable to say on stage? 

Other people can see him though,  just not at the Pleasance.  

I guess if you speak English like Twitter people this is a cancelling by wokery.  

It's not a free speech issue though.  Sadowitz is free to say whatever he wants.  He just can't use the Pleasance's stage to say it from. 

This is a commercial dispute.  The pleasance has decided they have some corporate values they want to protect and project.  They're entitled to do that.  

Considering what the Fringe is supposed to be,  I'm not convinced that positioning themselves next to Mary Whitehouse is great PR.