Cancel culture

1 hour ago, virginton said:

While it's certainly true that a marketplace is inherently unequal and not in fact free at all (see above), that doesn't mean that ideas or opinions should be treated in the same way as defective or dangerous goods. 

We should set a much higher bar on regulating ideas and opinions because it is a fundamental part of human free will to create ideas and concepts - even moronic or obnoxious ideas and concepts - but is not a fundamental right to create a hopelessly unsafe car or phone charger that ends up electrocuting someone. Ideas are not a tangible product and so shouldn't be regulated with the equivalent of Trading Standards in every generation.

Well the comedian is far from the only one refusing to take responsibility in that analogy. On what basis does a Netflix show give someone a free pass to enact violence? 

The bar for inciting violence should be considered much, much higher than causing offence, because offence and violence are fundamentally different levels of response.

I take your point completely I just don't think what should happen and what does happen always intersect 

• 1 month later...

I see Jerry Sadiwitz has had his Fringe run cancelled. Not sure if someone complained but you’d have to question the sanity of someone who voluntarily goes to his gig and then complains about it. It’s like going to a garden centre and complaining they’ve got plants.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I see Jerry Sadiwitz has had his Fringe run cancelled. Not sure if someone complained but you’d have to question the sanity of someone who voluntarily goes to his gig and then complains about it. It’s like going to a garden centre and complaining they’ve got plants.

The American-born Scottish stand-up, aged 60, is known for his controversial brand of black comedy.

But it didn’t go down well  with a number of visitors - despite prior warnings about “strong language and themes some may find distressing”.

One audience member said: “I was at the show. He called Rishi Sunak a ‘p***’; said the economy was awful because it is run by ‘blacks and women’.

“He got his penis out to a woman in the front row. The problem was not the audience - I knew he was an acquired taste. It was his indefensible content”.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/9300034/jerry-sadowitz-edinburgh-fringe-show-axed/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=scottishsunfacebook&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1660403945

Seems he was only booked for 2 shows so it's just the one that's cancelled, rather than a long run.

Edited by welshbairn

13 minutes ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

Does scream that someone has gone there to be offended 

I dunno, there's no mention of complaints from the performer, venue, or polis.

If you're a cynic, you might say it reads like someone hoping to join the edgelord Netflix crew and having to ask to be cancelled by the venue in order to get the necessary publicity. What's the world coming to when you can't whip up some decent controversy by exposing yourself in public and throwing around racial abuse like an auld jake at Buchanan Street bus station?

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Devils advocate but I can see some folks being shocked by Sadowitz, even if they did go voluntarily. He’s obsessive about having anything posted to YouTube deleted, he doesn’t really do interviews and there’s very little content of his available outside of going to see him. Could be folks that had heard *of* him but didn’t have much of a scooby what they might be in for. 

18 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I dunno, there's no mention of complaints from the performer, venue, or polis.

If you're a cynic, you might say it reads like someone hoping to join the edgelord Netflix crew and having to ask to be cancelled by the venue in order to get the necessary publicity. What's the world coming to when you can't whip up some decent controversy by exposing yourself in public and throwing around racial abuse like an auld jake at Buchanan Street bus station?

The article mentions audience and staff complaints. You could be right but he has seemed to shun publicity in the past.

4 minutes ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

The article mentions audience and staff complaints. You could be right but he has seemed to shun publicity in the past.

I missed that bit, but it doesn't say who they were complaining to. Searching for keywords, it seems to have been taken from a single barely-viewed Tweet about the content of the first gig, which The Sun have carefully extrapolated to present as being representative of a number of people. I've likely maligned Sadowitz unfairly there when this is just standard tabloid clickbait.

f**k knows what's going on with the venue, but they certainly weren't genuinely surprised by the content of a Jerry Sadowitz gig, to the point that they felt that they couldn't let the second (and last) night go ahead. That'd be like being upset about having to clean up all the jizz and blood after GWAR played a set.

Have seen Sadowitz a few times and he was genius. Probably wouldn't go again because a fair proportion of the audience seemed to take him at face value and it was depressing.

On a related note is this tweet from one the glistening pink jelly faced das that make up Scotpol the most pathetic ever committed to that site?

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

Have seen Sadowitz a few times and he was genius. Probably wouldn't go again because a fair proportion of the audience seemed to take him at face value and it was depressing.

On a related note is this tweet from one the glistening pink jelly faced das that make up Scotpol the most pathetic ever committed to that site?

Free speech doesn’t mean free of consequences nor does it mean you’re owed a platform

11 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Somebody should start a crowdfunder for Ricky Gervais in order to make up for the deleterious effect that cancellation has had on his career.

Such a shame that nobody can see his material anymore.

Edit: nice to see The Sun's managed to get Oaksoft frothing again  :thumsup2

Edited by BFTD

Graham Linehan, Stuart Campbell et al are getting very het up about this, not sure if they're the support Jerry needs in these difficult times.

Anyway, just booked to see him at the Ironworks in Inverness in October, which I likely wouldn't have without this publicity, so it's not all bad.

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Graham Linehan, Stewart Campbell et al are getting very het up about this, not sure if they're the support Jerry needs in these difficult times.

Anyway, just booked to see him at the Ironworks in Inverness in October, which I likely wouldn't have without this publicity, so it's not all bad.

No men in women’s changing rooms!

But get your cock out in front of a load of women on stage! 

According to The Sun

One audience member said: “I was at the show. He called Rishi Sunak a ‘p***’; said the economy was awful because it is run by ‘blacks and women’.

“He got his penis out to a woman in the front row. The problem was not the audience - I knew he was an acquired taste. It was his indefensible content”.

So aye, no sympathy for him if that’s true 

8 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

According to The Sun

One audience member said: “I was at the show. He called Rishi Sunak a ‘p***’; said the economy was awful because it is run by ‘blacks and women’.

So aye, no sympathy for him if that’s true 

They've just lifted it straight from this tweet. Which doesn't even call for any kind of action.

Anyway, nobody should have been surprised that his penis was an acquired taste.

32 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Graham Linehan, Stuart Campbell et al are getting very het up about this, not sure if they're the support Jerry needs in these difficult times.

That can't be right; he's been cancelled. Doesn't make sense. Obviously his career will now suffer.