Cancel culture

10 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Monkhouse was light years better than Carr. 

Christ, by the time he died, "Monkhouse is light years better than syphilis" would've been met with a noncommittal response.

The weird thing about panel shows is how much funnier people like Lee Mack are on something like Would I Lie To You than they are on-stage, or a self-scripted sitcom. You'd think time and extra writers would improve things, but apparently not.

I think it's easier to be funny in conversation as you can react to things naturally. I can come away with some funny things during conversations and similarly there are folk I know who are absolutely hilarious. But neither myself or them would be able to sit down and write a good sitcom. I think writing a good joke/gag would take time and be pretty difficult tbh. It's probably the reason so many sitcoms use laughter tracks: audiences are more likely to laugh if they are encouraged to do so. If you drown out the laughter track from a lot of these sitcoms and just listen to the words then there are loads of gags that just don't work. There are videos on YouTube that demonstrate it quite well.

I'm a fan of Gervais and watched his latest one. I didn't think it was his best work tbh but it was OK. I can never get my head around why folk are so outraged with these type of comedians though. If you don't enjoy it, don't watch it. I despise Reality TV and a lot of other comedians but it annoys me that much that I just avoid watching it. So many people nowadays feel the need to comment on absolutely everything. Some people enjoy some forms of entertainment, live and let live ffs.

On 26/05/2022 at 01:47, Satoshi said:

Ricky Gervais really isn't even a stand up comedian, I'm surprised anyone is paying for or watching his shows.

There is no cancel culture here, he's entirely entitled to grift off this woke nonsense (as many others do) as are people pointing out how nonsensical and contradictory it is.

One would hope a successful millionaire might look to help disadvantaged groups rather than punching down and making their lives worse, but maybe Gervais is just a bit of a c**t (which does seem likely).

Is it edgy? Maybe if you're a fucking idiot I guess. Frankie Boyle and Jerry Sadowitz at least typically attacked those with power and influence, not those whose very existence is a crime in much of the world.

He's playing to the gallery and it's probably working for him, if you're enabling it then you're also part of the problem.

No fan of Gervais and couldn’t care less about any criticism or what not flying his way just now 

but suggesting Boyle typically attacked those with power and influence is not really accurate . There probably isn’t a minority or disability that Frankie Boyle hasn’t mocked in his routines over the years 

16 hours ago, tamthebam said:

At least if you don't live in Edinburgh you're lucky as all these unfunny gits invade the city in August 

There's posters on here who are at least as funny as a lot of stand up comics.

Random humour from folk in shops or whatever is always a treat and Mrs & I agree Fife is much better for this than Edinburgh. Working in Halfords one day as a youngster, a colleague told me they’d been in a cafe in Kelty (mid 90s) and Betty Boo was there having some tea with her granny. “Ye still doing’ the do hen, aye?” asked a punter. Loved the idea of the then mega-famous, glam pop starlet enjoying the craic with some toothless Fifers.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I think it's easier to be funny in conversation as you can react to things naturally. I can come away with some funny things during conversations and similarly there are folk I know who are absolutely hilarious. But neither myself or them would be able to sit down and write a good sitcom. I think writing a good joke/gag would take time and be pretty difficult tbh. It's probably the reason so many sitcoms use laughter tracks: audiences are more likely to laugh if they are encouraged to do so. If you drown out the laughter track from a lot of these sitcoms and just listen to the words then there are loads of gags that just don't work. There are videos on YouTube that demonstrate it quite well.

Neither can Lee Mack. Lol.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm a fan of Gervais and watched his latest one. I didn't think it was his best work tbh but it was OK. I can never get my head around why folk are so outraged with these type of comedians though. If you don't enjoy it, don't watch it. I despise Reality TV and a lot of other comedians but it annoys me that much that I just avoid watching it. So many people nowadays feel the need to comment on absolutely everything. Some people enjoy some forms of entertainment, live and let live ffs.

I remember life before the internet, and there were just as many people with strongly-held opinions who wanted everyone to know them. The only difference is that, if you choose, you can now listen to all of them.

This whole "grr, the internet" thing is the same as determinedly listening to the mouthy bore down the pub/your work and stewing about the things they say. There are folk on this thread alone, some who've even declared their loathing for human interaction, who absolutely love doing that. It's probably coincidence that they're full of strongly-held views themselves, and are only annoyed by people whose views differ.

19 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

No fan of Gervais and couldn’t care less about any criticism or what not flying his way just now 

but suggesting Boyle typically attacked those with power and influence is not really accurate . There probably isn’t a minority or disability that Frankie Boyle hasn’t mocked in his routines over the years 

Depends on where you get his material from, his stand up would target many a minority but his column in the papers was all for attacking those in power. His patter can be ok but just find his stand up a Jerry Sadowitz tribute without the magic.  I like him when he is doing political/social commentary, this is good but obviously dated a bit.

11 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Depends on where you get his material from, his stand up would target many a minority but his column in the papers was all for attacking those in power. His patter can be ok but just find his stand up a Jerry Sadowitz tribute without the magic.  I like him when he is doing political/social commentary, this is good but obviously dated a bit.

yeah he certainly became much more political in probably the later half of the last decade and carrying on into this one with his material whereas before it was generally shock and awe and anyone was the target  . Will be honest I quite like Boyle and his brand of comedy at the height of his mock the week fame was certainly popular amongst my teenage age group at the time because it was seen as edgy and pushing the boundaries 

interestingly you could argue that  the biggest and most recent/successful example of a “comedian” taking on and exposing those in power and influence was probably gervais himself shining a light on Hollywood post Weinstein scandal to their faces at that award show he was doing a few years back. 

Edited by Forever_blueco

1 minute ago, Forever_blueco said:

You could argue that  the biggest example of a “comedian” taking on and exposing those in power and influence was probably gervais himself shining a light on Hollywood post Weinstein scandal to their faces at that award show he was doing a few years back. 

Shame he didn't do it when everyone knew what was going on but were afraid to say anything. It's easy and risk free to attack people after they've been exposed.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Shame he didn't do it when everyone knew what was going on but were afraid to say anything. It's easy and risk free to attack people after they've been exposed.

Yeah that is a fair point 

and no doubt their are other Weinstein characters still holding power and influence in Hollywood this present day that are known but not spoken about. 

Edited by Forever_blueco

3 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

yeah he certainly became much more political in probably the later half of the last decade and carrying on into this one with his material whereas before it was generally shock and awe and anyone was the target  . Will be honest I quite like Boyle and his brand of comedy at the height of his mock the week fame was certainly popular amongst my teenage age group at the time because it was seen as edgy and pushing the boundaries 

interestingly you could argue that  the biggest and most recent/successful example of a “comedian” taking on and exposing those in power and influence was probably gervais himself shining a light on Hollywood post Weinstein scandal to their faces at that award show he was doing a few years back. 

I don't know if it's just me but I find when Gervais does stand up the giggling laugh drives me up the wall, it's almost Cordonesuqe. Jimmy Carr is another whose laugh annoys me.

1 minute ago, Forever_blueco said:

Yeah that is a fair point 

and no doubt their are other Weinstein characters still holding power and influence in Hollywood this present day 

The "casting couch" has been joked about knowingly for a hundred years at least. For sure it's still going on.

25 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

I think we can all agree that Fred McAuley is about as funny as hemorrhoids

Haemorrhoids are pretty funny TBF.

Until you get them.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Some people enjoy some forms of entertainment, live and let live ffs.

If only Ricky Gervais could take the same attitude towards transgender people...

Its a whole lot easier to take the 'don't watch it if you don't like it' attitude when you're not a member of a minority having the very words used by people to try to deny you basic rights repeated back to you as 'just a joke' and then having to listen to sensible heads with no skin in the game sagely comment on how you're taking it all too seriously.

The reason that people get outraged at stuff like this is not that Gervais is just too edgy or offensive for them, that they just can't handle his style of comedy. Its because he's spouting talking points which, when widely believed, do real damage to transgender people's ability to exist safely in society. Having them repeated by a famous comedian in a Netflix special reinforces the idea that these views are normal, sensible things to think, just a bit of a laugh really. Its a bit different to not watching reality TV because it winds you up a bit.

If only Ricky Gervais could take the same attitude towards transgender people...
Its a whole lot easier to take the 'don't watch it if you don't like it' attitude when you're not a member of a minority having the very words used by people to try to deny you basic rights repeated back to you as 'just a joke' and then having to listen to sensible heads with no skin in the game sagely comment on how you're taking it all too seriously.
The reason that people get outraged at stuff like this is not that Gervais is just too edgy or offensive for them, that they just can't handle his style of comedy. Its because he's spouting talking points which, when widely believed, do real damage to transgender people's ability to exist safely in society***. Having them repeated by a famous comedian in a Netflix special reinforces the idea that these views are normal, sensible things to think, just a bit of a laugh really. Its a bit different to not watching reality TV because it winds you up a bit.

I assume you share the same view when comedians joke about any subject? In which case, fair enough. If not, then you're being hypocritical IMO.

*** Edited to pick up on this point. If you haven't watched Dave Chappelle's latest special on Netflix, go and give it a watch. The last 15 minutes or so when he talks about his transgender friend and what happened to her as a result of the actions from those in the community who can't 'safely live in society'.

16 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I was going to post a facetious gif response but searching for “Stalin” gifs in the Tapatalk app doesn’t return anything

It’s cancel culture gone mad

Stalin's started erasing himself from history now too?

He could at least have started with the other evil dictators, like Hitler, Pol Pot, or John Sim.