Cancel culture

At least if you don't live in Edinburgh you're lucky as all these unfunny gits invade the city in August 

There's posters on here who are at least as funny as a lot of stand up comics.

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Come on. You know exactly what you are doing.

You are indirectly attacking the article as not being worth reading by character-destroying the author.

Let's not split hairs. 😂

Yes. I pointed out the flaws with the author and then said I wasn't going to bother reading it. That was 10 or 12 posts ago. 

Most of these arseholes online cracking up about wokey cancel culture will have been the same ones demanding that the BBC cancel Frankie Boyle for saying the Queen had a haunted fanny.

I think no subject should be off limits and view edgy comedy more like cartoon violence. If someone is offended either don't watch or pay for a ticket and rugby tackle him on stage or pop a cap in his ass.

2 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

At least if you don't live in Edinburgh you're lucky as all these unfunny gits invade the city in August 

Can you PM one and get them into this thread please?

15 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Shandon does a good slapstick routine with banana skins, ladders, staircases, dogs, knives etc.

Oh god, now I'm bracing myself for 'did you know in the book Renton often got nicknamed Rent Boy and that was back in the days when you could say those things without 100 blue haired freaks screaming at you not like today but I don't actually give a shit about any of that ACKSHUALLY and I applaud Shandon's decision in naming his hound' for about 14 pages. 

Edited by carpetmonster

19 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

That's true. I've had bigger belly laughs on here than I've ever had watching stand up.

I've got friends who are far sharper and funnier on a day to day basis than any comedian. They couldn't get up and do it on stage though. 

Do you remember Skippy the Bush Kangaroo?

1 hour ago, dirty dingus said:

Most of these arseholes online cracking up about wokey cancel culture will have been the same ones demanding that the BBC cancel Frankie Boyle for saying the Queen had a haunted fanny.

I think no subject should be off limits and view edgy comedy more like cartoon violence. If someone is offended either don't watch or pay for a ticket and rugby tackle him on stage or pop a cap in his ass.

1 hour ago, dirty dingus said:

Frankie Boyle is another p***k.

Man, you’re 50. Call yourself Frank.

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

Carr's routine has always been a relentless barrage of one-liners, like his hero Bob Monkhouse. Not really my idea of a good time either, but it seems to work for him.

I'd suggest that the main difference between the two is that Carr seems like a man who's experienced a bit of self-loathing in his time, while Ricky Gervais is one of the rare comics who absolutely loves himself, and it shows.

Edit: Oaksoft still fuming that nobody on a football forum is willing to debate him in the marketplace of ideas  :lol:

Monkhouse was light years better than Carr. 

10 hours ago, oaksoft said:

The comedians are trying to be funny enough to make a living.

It's the extended audience and predominantly people who haven't even watched a particular show who are making it partisan.

When did that start?

Around the same time that people lost the ability to argue coherently and in a civilised manner. What happens now is that people jump on a view without thinking it through, lack the depth to be able to defend that view, resort to claiming the moral high ground in a desperate attempt to somehow defend their position and start demonising those with differing views. Both left and right wings are as guilty of this as each other.

Personally, I think it's always been there. Social media is amplifying it to make it look as though these views are widespread but the reality is that 80% of the population couldn't give a f**k about any of this extremist nonsense. They'll laugh or not laugh and then they'll move on with their lives.

For evidence that it's always been there you can go back to the World War 1 where both sides claimed they were fighting for freedom, that God was on their side and that the other side were baby murdering rapists because that is what their "superiors" told them to think. This lack of ability to think isn't new at all. People are too easily manipulated. You can see so much evidence of this on the current thread - people attacking Gervais for being transphobic who haven't even bothered their arse to watch the thing. They are just parroting what they hear from others. It's all a bit pathetic really but that's humans for you. Paraphrasing the author Bill Bryson  - "the cold hard truth is that we are just 6 billion idiots kept afloat and out of living in caves by a handful of brilliant people". It's hard to argue against that view in the face of such overwhelming evidence to support it.

sheeple.jpg

13 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

ladder-buster-keaton.gif

Yesterday I hung up a big dust sheet on a hook on the side of my van. A few minutes later I returned round to that side of the van and squealed in terror as I was confronted by this 7ft Scooby Doo-esque ghost that was lurking next to my van.