Cancel culture

1 minute ago, RawB93 said:

Wrong, wrong and wrong.

Frankie Boyle hasn't done anything decent outwith stand up. Gervais wrote The Office...

I don't think Gervais has said anything nearly as bad as Frankie Boyle did when he was mocking people with downsyndrome but tbf I've not watched loads of Gervais stand up stuff so there might be something equally as outrageous in there.

7 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

What state are "some of us" in exactly?

Oaksoft spent years being laughed at for being a hair-trigger rage monster about shit that didn't affect him at all. After trying an unsuccessful 'zen' phase, the latest tactic appears to be pretending that it's the rest of the world that's angry about the things he's angry about.

You'd get yourself some therapy by this point, surely.

I should have turned off the Gervais special when his audience were in hysterics at him saying cûnt presumably they are all adults at his gigs yet they carry on like children laughing like it's the funniest thing on earth when he's just using something in common parlance as a punch line.

If it wasn't for the Trans "jokes" everyone would be taking about him losing his edge.

16 hours ago, oaksoft said:

We no longer hear jokes by mainstream comedians about women, blacks, gays and a host of others

Apart from quite a few gay folk relying on gay-related material, black comedians (especially the Chris Rocks of this world) going down the "black man says this, and the white man says this..." route, etc etc.

Must admit that I'm not a fan of the 'certain things are out-of-bounds unless you're one yourself, then it's fine' mindset.  If you don't want jokes about it brought up, then don't do it yourself, which just keeps any issue circulating around society.

31 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Lol fucking hell

He’s so brave. Isn’t he 

Oh Gordon Bennett, and they're using Debbie Hayton to try and apologise for him. 

For those who don't know her - and I wouldn't recommend it, it's a *lot* of internet rabbit holes - Debbie Hayton is a transwoman who is frequently critical of 'trans rights activists". I still don't know what a trans rights activist is other than something middle aged women of a certain persuasion type on Twitter right before they go off on one about Owen Jones. I don't know if 'self-hating' is the right term, but she's mates with Graham Linehan. Linehan in turn, actually takes flak for this friendship from other transphobes, and then tries to suck back up to them by continually misgendering her - "I value my friendship with Debbie, I think HIS input is valuable" and such. I think, for a Scottish fitba forum comparison, imagine the transgender version of your man EDL Abdul. And now I'm going for a shower. 

Reading the past few pages has made me think - was there a time when stand up comedy was really good?

As a kid in the 80s I remember seeing Billy Connolly videos and he was very funny at the time. And then in the 90s a touch of Jerry Sadowitz was always welcome, if a bit grim at times. Bob Monkhouse was excellent.

They started showing the show The Comedians on one of the satellite channels, repeats of the show that was apparently must-watch TV in the 70s. My parents watched these and I remember watching some too but found it pretty dire. Englishman, Irishman, Scotsman jokes, racist jokes and so on. I guess I just didn't find these funny - you need to be of a certain mindset to "join in" with that I suppose. 

Nothing since, say, 2000 has made me want to see someone live. Michael McIntyre can go f**k himself rigid. These comedians nowadays exist to get a gig on some pisspoor panel show on the Dave channel.

My brother has been to see Kevin Bridges and says he is good but I doubt any new comedy will give me the same sense of excitement as watching Billy and Albert for the first time as a kid. 

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

I used to watch the Comedians too and also thought it was a bit dull.

Nobody has ever come close to Billy Connolly IMO.

Sadowitz, Eddie Izzard, Gervais are good and I do like Jimmy Carr and Frankie Boyle too. I did like Michael McIntyre as well when he first arrived on the scene.

For other comedians, especially American ones, it's a bit hit and miss and I find myself only laughing a little at some of their jokes.

Humour is very subjective. Nobody has the right to tell anyone what they should laugh at though.

AptHalfKentrosaurus-size_restricted.gif

14 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Leaving aside your weird rant about this person's background and your odd fetish of telling us what to think based on that, do you have anything to say about the actual contents of the article?

I think context is important. In much the same way, say, as you’d expect different things from Ron DeSantis, say, being interviewed by Tucker Carlson as opposed to be interviewed by Anderson Cooper or Jon Stewart. 

And no, they’re a pair of arseholes so I shan’t be reading it, in much the same way as I’d have no interest in DeSantis being fluffed by Tucker Carlson. 

I like how this has become the millionaire edgelord thread, in the absence of anyone experiencing unfair negative consequences for their publicly-aired views (which, I believe, is what 'cancel culture' is supposed to be).

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I like how this has become the millionaire edgelord thread, in the absence of anyone experiencing unfair negative consequences for their publicly-aired views (which, I believe, is what 'cancel culture' is supposed to be).

TBF, Netflix’s share price is plummeting like a lemming convention currently.