Cancel culture

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

It wasn't Gervais who wrote that.

It was a Woke Warrior.

He was only reading out what someone said to him online.

You're not even making an attempt to listening now.

That'll do for me on this topic.

Been fun.

I'll leave you to your cloud shouting and outrage.

What a snowflake.

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

He made a joke about that as well.

Someone had a go at him online and wrote "you are as funny as ..."

He was reading this out and then stopped reading and said "I thought they were going to go hardcore on me and say I was as funny as Miranda but he didnt. He said I was as funny as a fart at a baby's funeral."

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 that's class tbf

9 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

More importantly, it's a word they invented and use themselves to describe their political philosophy..

It's not tho. It originated in the Black American community in the 1930s as a way of indicating one should be aware of social and political issues that affect that group. It resurfaced - again in the Black American community - in the 2000s and 2010s when Erykah Badu, and most headline-grabbingly, LeBron James resurrected the term, for much the same meaning. Since then the right, including Laura Ingraham who notoriously told LeBron - who came from less than nothing, will go to his grave a billionaire, is married to his childhood sweetheart and has set up a school in his hometown of Akron, OH where underprivileged kids are given college scholarships when they graduate - to 'shut up and dribble'  - have demeaned it to being 'this is a catch all word for something that we don't think we like the sound of'. 

Edited by carpetmonster
punctuation

It's not tho. It originated in the Black American community in the 1930s as a way of indicating one should be aware of social and political issues that affect that group. It resurfaced - again in the Black American community - in the 2000s and 2010s when Erykah Badu, and most headline-grabbingly, LeBron James resurrected the term, for much the same meaning. Since then the right, including Laura Ingraham who notoriously told LeBron - who came from less than nothing, will go to his grave a billionaire, is married to his childhood sweetheart and has set up a school in his hometown of Akron, OH where underprivileged kids are given college scholarships when they graduate - to 'shut up and dribble'  - have demeaned it to being 'this is a catch all word for something that we don't think we like the sound of'. 
Bang on. The word woke has been absolutely hijacked, it's meaning completely distorted and then used as an insult.

The original meaning of woke could never, to anyone with half a brain, be seen as a negative character trait.

Indeed, many of the right wing bedroom dwellers who "do their own research" and decry every source of news out there without ever actually revealing where they get their hot takes, might describe themselves as being woke by the original definition.... If they hadn't already completely lost their shit over it.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Bang on. The word woke has been absolutely hijacked, it's meaning completely distorted and then used as an insult.

The original meaning of woke could never, to anyone with half a brain, be seen as a negative character trait.

Indeed, many of the right wing bedroom dwellers who "do their own research" and decry every source of news out there without ever actually revealing where they get their hot takes, might describe themselves as being woke by the original definition.... If they hadn't already completely lost their shit over it.

They don't "do their own research" anymore, they're "just asking questions". 

Gervais quoted as saying this in response to the criticism:

"I think that's what comedy is for, really - to get us through stuff, and I deal in taboo subjects because I want to take the audience to a place it hasn't been before, even for a split second".

Then here's a description of one of his jokes:

He then imagines a conversation with a woman who objects to sharing a bathroom with a trans woman: “They are ladies, look at their pronouns. What about this person isn’t a lady?” He then responds: “Well, his penis.”

So that's him "taking the audience to a place it hasn't been before"? Introducing to them the groundbreaking idea that transwomen may have biologically male anatomy? He thinks none of his audience have ever imagined that possibility before? 

24 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Wokeness is ruining this great country, it’s PC gone mad

Something has to be done about it, I want it to be normal again to mock minorities 

Ricky's taking us to the promised land, joke by joke.

Edited by welshbairn

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Ricky's taking us to the promised land, joke by joke.

You would think anything that means there are more women to reject Laurence can only be a good thing, there has never been a man with as much divorced da energy as Fox.

Edited by 101

I'm sure Ricky Gervais very clever point making, not at all discriminatory social commentary/lesson included getting absolute ghouls like Farage and Fox wanking over it.

Millionaire comedian punches down at victimised minority groups and makes a big show of it, rich politicians who seek popularity by convincing people these groups are the enemy make political capital out of it, but really.... Its just that all of us don't get the joke cos we are woke libtards HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I can certainly see how big brain Gervais thinks the minorities in questions are going to be the REAL winners in all of this.....

Unsure how anyone can watch Ricky Gervais in essence reel off a list of transphobic talking points and say 'cocks' a lot for an hour and come away with the impression that he's not actually attacking transgender people, he's just making fun of woke leftists.

There's no wit or subtlety to what he's doing, he's not even trying to hide it. The punchline to pretty much every joke is just 'transgender people exist'. Even if you want to dismiss 'the woke' as being performatively annoyed (they're not), if you actually bothered to look at the reaction of the trans community to this you would see that its not just a little joke with no negative effects.

Ultimately, its probably not very productive to get wound up about it. That's exactly what Gervais wants and (as evidenced by this thread) that's exactly what his fans want too. That energy is probably better spent on those who aren't completely lost down the rabbit hole. But lets just be very clear that what is going on here is Ricky Gervais taking an entire group of marginalised people and repeatedly punching down at them for an hour. Similarly, the people who found the special hilarious were laughing because they find transphobia funny. He and they don't get to hide behind claiming that there's anything deeper happening than that.

Edited by MrWorldwideJr

6 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Nice, but careful, their flowers stink of shit. 

You dont need to feed them. They feed on their own victim complex before hilariously withering away to an irrelevance. 

The also love to be in The Sun. 

9 minutes ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

Unsure how anyone can watch Ricky Gervais in essence reel off a list of transphobic talking points and say 'cocks' a lot for an hour and come away with the impression that he's not actually attacking transgender people, he's just making fun of woke leftists.

There's no wit or subtlety to what he's doing, he's not even trying to hide it. The punchline to pretty much every joke is just 'transgender people exist'. Even if you want to dismiss 'the woke' as being performatively annoyed (they're not), if you actually bothered to look at the reaction of the trans community to this you would see that its not just a little joke with no negative effects.

Ultimately, its probably not very productive to get wound up about it. That's exactly what Gervais wants and (as evidenced by this thread) that's exactly what his fans want too. That energy is probably better spent on those who aren't completely lost down the rabbit hole. But lets just be very clear that what is going on here is Ricky Gervais taking an entire group of marginalised people and repeatedly punching down at them for an hour. Similarly, the people who found the special hilarious were laughing because they find transphobia funny. He and they don't get to hide behind claiming that there's anything deeper happening than that.

Steve Albini summed it up fairly well in a 6 or 7 tweet thread

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

It wasn't Gervais who wrote that.

It was a Woke Warrior.

He was only reading out what someone said to him online.

You're not even making an attempt to listening now.

That'll do for me on this topic.

Been fun.

I'll leave you to your cloud shouting and outrage.

A load of bored folks explaining to you that they’ve no huge interest in you typing out hackneyed jokes that you saw on the telly isn’t outrage M73. 

Edited by carpetmonster