Cancel culture

1 hour ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Yeah I remember being very shocked having not really followed it how he had become such a toxic presence so quickly. Radicalization is truly the only word for it. To be harassing people online, being deliberately cruel to, however you see it, a small and marginalized group of people, to get a warning off the police and still conclude you are a victim is strange enough. But for your wife to leave you and take the kids, and your friends to break off contaxt because your views and behaviour have become so obsessive and weird and still try to argue you are blameless is just beyond reasoning really. I do sort of feel sorry for him but only in the way I do anyone who's been radicalized, not because of his "treatment" by anyone else

It's amazing the whole thing apparently spiralled because somebody slagged off that episode of The IT Crowd that involved a trans character. He seemed like an odd character from the get-go though...I remember idly watching a DVD of one of the shows he wrote with his commentary track on and all the way through he was excoriating himself for not making it funnier - paradoxically despite being involved in some of the funniest shows of the last few decades he didn't seem to be in possession of much of a sense of humour.

It was similar to that documentary that came out about Tim Minchin, who I'd previously found quite entertaining but who came off as a mean-spirited, small-minded p***k obsessing over bad reviews he'd had years previously.

18 hours ago, BFTD said:

Not much of a surprise. As we've learned from P&B, if you're enough of a c**t that you're asked to leave, you'll likely have the brass neck to sneak back in with a false moustache.

See the source image

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The new Ricky Gervais special on Netflix "Super Nature" is taking a fair degree of heat from the perma-offended for his trans jokes.

It was only released yesterday and already some hilarious meltdowns over it.

Some of his jokes were a wee bit tired for me but a lot of it was genuinely hilarious.

The bit where he says something like the "I don't like those old type of women - you know the type....the ones with wombs. Dinosaurs. I prefer these new women....the ones with beards and cocks" seems to have caused a few heads gone moments. 😂

He also did a bit where he said something like "black people make up 5% of the population. Same with gay people. I'm a white middle-class millionaire and there's only 1% of us so I know all about being a minority" seems to have also triggered a few folk.

Maybe one day people will learn to stop taking themselves so seriously 24-7.

I'm not hopeful though.

It’s much easier to take yourself less seriously when you’ve got lots of money tho. You can afford to pay for lots of security for when someone starts shouting millionarephobic abuse at you.

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The new Ricky Gervais special on Netflix "Super Nature" is taking a fair degree of heat from the perma-offended for his trans jokes.

Some of his jokes were a wee bit tired for me but a lot of it was genuinely hilarious.

The bit where he says something like the "I don't like those old type of women - you know the type....the ones with wombs. Dinosaurs. I prefer these new women....the ones with beards and cocks" seems to have caused a few heads gone moments. 😂

He also did a bit where he said something like "black people make up 5% of the population. Same with gay people. I'm a white middle-class millionaire and there's only 1% of us so I know all about being a minority" seems to have also triggered a few folk.

I'm not hopeful though.

White middle class millionaire taking the piss out of an already marginalised group of people 

So brave of him. 

1 minute ago, Clown Job said:

White middle class millionaire taking the piss out of an already marginalised group of people 

So brave of him. 

Did you know he’s an atheist? He never mentions it. No wonder, it’s such a hot button these days. 

Just now, MrWorldwideJr said:

Good to see an incredibly rich and famous comedian being paid a huge amount of money to make a stand up special for one of the most popular content providers on the planet being cited as an example of 'cancel culture'.

While making jokes about minorities who are regularly the subjects of persecution, discrimination and abuse.

Truly, the hero we need right now.

21 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

It's good to see the brave Gervais bring those high and mighty Trans folk down a peg or two. Continuing his good work after hilariously mocking m**gs for years.

They've had their guard down for too long if you ask me.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

I'm not hopeful though.

We're seriously expected to believe that a Gervais stand up was, even in part, genuinely hilarious? 

You're at it. 

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Nothing wrong with not funding his humour funny but he's not actually attacking the minorities.

He was largely attacking the woke shite which has been built up around them by others and which treats those minorities as victims incapable of being able to laugh at themselves.

He tells a conversational joke about the many claims that trans women would use women's toilets to target normal women for rape which got that point across beautifully.

I'd say that going by the comments, he'd hit that target spectacularly TBH.

You have to actually watch it and think about what he's saying in the context of how he's saying it to get that though. Most people piling in simply haven't watched it. And that shows through in their arguments.

I' m not watching another gervais show, but his MO is to pretend he's poking fun at people's reactions as a fig leaf to come out with some nasty shit. Like sacha baron cohen but less successful at it. 

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

He made a joke about that as well.

Someone had a go at him online and wrote "you are as funny as ..."

He was reading this out and then stopped reading and said "I thought they were going to go hardcore on me and say I was as funny as Miranda but he didnt. He said I was as funny as a fart at a baby's funeral."

Edgy stuff.

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

He was largely attacking the woke shite which has been built up around them by others and which treats those minorities as victims incapable of being able to laugh at themselves.

2 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

It’s much easier to take yourself less seriously when you’ve got lots of money tho. You can afford to pay for lots of security for when someone starts shouting millionarephobic abuse at you.