Cancel culture

4 hours ago, Donathan said:

Midget Gems have become the latest victim of cancel culture

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-59981811.amp

The problem I have with this is that “midget gems” is the name of the sweet, a bit like “After Eights”  and they are not intended to only be eaten after eight, it’s simply the name of the sweet. I could almost understand the feeling against the name if they were indeed small gems. But they’re not. The name doesn’t refer to “midget” or “gems” it’s the name of a specific sweet. Getting upset for the sake of getting upset.

The problem I have with this is that “midget gems” is the name of the sweet, a bit like “After Eights”  and they are not intended to only be eaten after eight, it’s simply the name of the sweet. I could almost understand the feeling against the name if they were indeed small gems. But they’re not. The name doesn’t refer to “midget” or “gems” it’s the name of a specific sweet. Getting upset for the sake of getting upset.
I'm waiting for astrophysicists to get a kicking when they start yapping about white and red dwarves.

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I actually feel sorry for the academic who petitioned for the name change.

Don't get me wrong. It must be terrible to be dehumanised by others on a daily basis but not only will his actions not reduce the number of people laughing at folk like himself, it will probably make it worse now that he's publicised that he's so triggered by the name calling that he can't pass a packet of sweets in a shop without having a total meltdown. Bullies are going to have a field day with him both online and in person. The likelihood is that people will still just refer to them as midget gems anyway.

So he's gained absolutely nothing and lost a whole lot.

That's always the danger of allowing your ego and sense of entitled self-importance to run away with you.

It's a "she" by the way. 

5 hours ago, Donathan said:

Midget Gems have become the latest victim of cancel culture

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-59981811.amp

My neighbour is a midget. He will be happy with this news as he is a miserable git. I saw him standing at the bus stop in the rain last week, so being the friendly sort, I asked if he wanted a lift home. After he told me to f**k off, I just zipped my rucksack back up and kept on walking…

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Don't get me wrong. It must be terrible to be dehumanised by others on a daily basis but not only will his actions not reduce the number of people laughing at folk like himself, it will probably make it worse now that he's publicised that he's so triggered by the name calling that he can't pass a packet of sweets in a shop without having a total meltdown. Bullies are going to have a field day with him both online and in person. The likelihood is that people will still just refer to them as midget gems anyway.

That's always the danger of allowing your ego and sense of entitled self-importance to run away with you.

Don’t get upset. I’m sure the taste will be the same. You’ll still enjoy eating them.

The academic is a woman called Dr Erin Pritchard. Well done on misgendering her and making the assumption that an academic must be a male. I hope you are proud of yourself, oaksoft.

42 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

The academic is a woman called Dr Erin Pritchard. Well done on misgendering her and making the assumption that an academic must be a male. I hope you are proud of yourself, oaksoft.

Even worse than that,  you've just assumed someone's gender.

Not quite sure I get your point here.

I’m also not convinced the academic, or anyone from that matter, will have a “complete meltdown” at a packet of sweets being called Midget Gems. In fact, I think we’re seeing more ‘meltdowns’ over a name change than you’d have ever seen the entire time they were known as Midget Gems.

12 hours ago, oaksoft said:

No one's life will be worse if a sweetie isn't called "midget gems". At least one person will be happier, maybe more who weren't so vocal will be too. 

Maybe some twats on the twitter will say mean things for a day or two then get bored and go back to threatening to rape feminists. That sort of arseholery shouldn't put people off trying to improve things. 

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I'm not disagreeing with that first sentence at all.

If this person genuinely thinks they have made a difference then good luck to them.

I think they've made things a lot worse for themselves and others like them for the short-term ego boost of having won a concession from some major companies but ultimately this doesn't impact on me at all.

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Starting a national campaign over the name of a sweet is absolutely a heads gone IMO.

I'm not defending those melting down over the name change itself BTW.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I don't care.

It's not relevant to the story or the issue.

MULTIQUOTE!