Cancel culture

14 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Funny you mention Richard Bacon because he was cited by one culture war rag recently as an early victim of cancel culture after losing a job in children's television due to his well publicized use of class A drugs. 

"Bacon was required to return his Blue Peter badge upon his dismissal". CBBC bosses were not fucking about. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

"Bacon was required to return his Blue Peter badge upon his dismissal". CBBC bosses were not fucking about. 

I've just read the Sun puff piece (not linking it obvs) and it seems that Bacon doesn't really have a grasp of what he's discussing (he says the phenomenon has been around since 2018 but it was at least a couple of years prior, arguably from #MeToo) and by the sounds of things a large part of the program is taken up with him asking a TikTok teen to go through his old tweets and point out slurs. Sounds like a great watch!

That's my favourite thing about big believers in this phenomenon is instead of like reading a book, watching something worthwhile or god forbid spending time with people you have to watch a confused middle aged talk radio host trying to remember his point; all because you're addicted to being mad online. Couldn't be me 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I dont know LOADS of folk from Linlithgow, but have known a few over the years.

I have never once heard them refer/be referred to as a Black Bitch.

Got one friend born and bred in Linlithgow, and the ‘black bitch’ thing is absolutely for real. Was actually at their house last week. I believe there’s another old school thing attached to Linlithgow, a saying along the lines of ‘if they were at Lithgae’ Brig, they’d be divoted’. I haven’t Googled this, my understanding is that it means, for example, if Boris Johnson came away with his shite patter in Linlithgow he’d be taken to the bridge and given pelters.

As I say, not Googled this, just from me being an old fart and having a friend of similar old fartage from Linlithgow. 🤪

22 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Got one friend born and bred in Linlithgow, and the ‘black bitch’ thing is absolutely for real. Was actually at their house last week. I believe there’s another old school thing attached to Linlithgow, a saying along the lines of ‘if they were at Lithgae’ Brig, they’d be divoted’. I haven’t Googled this, my understanding is that it means, for example, if Boris Johnson came away with his shite patter in Linlithgow he’d be taken to the bridge and given pelters.

As I say, not Googled this, just from me being an old fart and having a friend of similar old fartage from Linlithgow. 🤪

Never mind cancelling, I’m all for the nuclear annihilation of Linlithgow on the back of this. 

23 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Never mind cancelling, I’m all for the nuclear annihilation of Linlithgow on the back of this. 

I find this a pleasant change from folk wanting my adopted hometown of Cumbernauld nuked. Very refreshing. 😜

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

A friend of mine lived there for a few years, and I remember him saying that was the collective demonym for the locals - I think their coat of arms is a black dog tied to a tree. Old habits die hard in some areas...apparently they also still refer to natives of Bo'ness as beggars purely because something like 400 years ago when it was a poor fishing village in hard times the locals would come over the flints to beg in Linlithgow which was a relatively affluent royal burgh.

15 hours ago, Mr Waldo said:

For anyone interested, there is a Channel 4 documentary  about Cancel Culture on tonight at 10pm.

Richard Bacon presenting. I am not sure of his views on things, so I am not sure if we should boycott it  😉

I didn't watch it. Should Richard Bacon change his name to Richard Gammon or not then?

An anti-cancel culture conference featuring Farage and Lozza has been cancelled due to those woke lefties laughably poor ticket sales.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/anti-cancel-culture-conference-featuring-184158990.html

An anti-cancel culture conference in London featuring Nigel Farage and supporters of Donald Trump has been cancelled.

The Spectator reported that Counter Conference, which was set to take place at The O2′s 3,000 capacity Indigo venue next week, had sold just 400 tickets.

Organisers said the event was not going ahead because of problems caused by travel restrictions implemented following the emergence of the Omicron variant.

The right-wing alternative to Twitter – called GETTR, and run by former Trump aide Jason Miller – is behind the event, which was due to feature Farage, ex-US housing secretary Ben Carson and actor-turned-online personality Laurence Fox.

A spokesperson for GETTR said the new rules would make “scheduling travel to the conference impossible for many of the conference’s confirmed speakers and participants.”

Organisers said in a statement to the Mirror: “Due to the UK’s newly-mandated travel restrictions, we regret to announce that the Counter Conference event that was to be held on the December 8 at Indigo at The O2 has been cancelled.

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

An anti-cancel culture conference featuring Farage and Lozza has been cancelled due to those woke lefties laughably poor ticket sales.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/anti-cancel-culture-conference-featuring-184158990.html

Thanks, Waldo's going to have to work out something else to do on his trip to London now ffs. 

3 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Organisers said the event was not going ahead because of problems caused by travel restrictions implemented following the emergence of the Omicron variant.

They could hardly be expected to go ahead without the Botswana and Lesotho delegations.

9 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Is that the town that has a gala day but you’re absolutely not allowed to call it a gala day?

think that’s Bo’ness, although Linlithgow might be the same.

It’s likely to be caught up in the fallout anyway, so two birds with one stone really. 

29 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Lanark has that trademarked.

Oh yes, ‘Lanamars’ i think its because living in Lanark must be like living on mars. Irvine has one as well, the whole world is expected to stop for it. People go absolutely mad for it, its a gala day.

20 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

think that’s Bo’ness, although Linlithgow might be the same.

It’s likely to be caught up in the fallout anyway, so two birds with one stone really. 

Ahh! Yes i think you’re right have a charles.

• 1 month later...
On 23/11/2021 at 11:13, Detournement said:

This is a good one

https://historyreclaimed.co.uk/must-marx-and-engels-be-cancelled/

Yer Da trying to cancel Marx and Engels on his blog?

Nope an actual fellow of St John's College Cambridge. Robert Tombs.

The internet is bad for everyone but a disaster for old people.

I think he's been dreaming about spires too long...

On 02/12/2021 at 09:47, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I've just read the Sun puff piece (not linking it obvs) and it seems that Bacon doesn't really have a grasp of what he's discussing (he says the phenomenon has been around since 2018 but it was at least a couple of years prior, arguably from #MeToo) and by the sounds of things a large part of the program is taken up with him asking a TikTok teen to go through his old tweets and point out slurs. Sounds like a great watch!

That's my favourite thing about big believers in this phenomenon is instead of like reading a book, watching something worthwhile or god forbid spending time with people you have to watch a confused middle aged talk radio host trying to remember his point; all because you're addicted to being mad online. Couldn't be me 

Pat yourself on your back...