Cancel culture

44 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

I often think about what he would be saying about the US and the state of the world just now. A fantastic singer, songwriter, activist and poet. Gone but definitely not forgotten. Required listening imo.

And he can't be mentioned without reminding the world his dad played for Celtic.

Watched him perform that on something like Old Grey Whistle Test with a total gammon once and enjoyed watching him fizz and squirm. 

On 23/09/2020 at 06:28, Mark Connolly said:

Is he even that famous for that? I'd imagine if people were asked to name Billie Piper's ex-husband, far more would say Chris Evans

I think of him as the guy in the Rab jackets that Mullarkey wouldn't stop posting for a week or two.

On 23/09/2020 at 10:49, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I love the "it's so weird because she makes a lot of sense about everything except this one issue I'm currently losing my mind over" replies.

I've got some sympathy for folk who have general concerns or specific questions with the trans movement, but committed TERFism is such a weird QANON-like quasi religious thing. 

Check out the Feminism board on Mumsnet. It's cult-like in its totalitarian GC outlook on literally everything and anything. There's a thread started earlier today about the French woman attacked in the street in Strasbourg for the crime of wearing a skirt. I find it difficult to follow their own particularly hysterical brand of 'common sense' at the best of times, but the opening poster appears to be implying that the victim of the crime must be a transwoman, seemingly for no other reason than the news reports don't explicitly specify that she is not. The victim isn't trans fwiw

It's utterly batshit the extremes they go to infer there's a patriarchy-driven, misogynistic woman-cancelling agenda to literally everything.

Edited by Boo Khaki

6 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Gammon snowflakes upset about a lassie on the TV's necklace. 

Why are even 'reporting' this shite? Given how many folk watch that dreadful show, 1900 is an absolutely minuscule percentage of overall viewers.

21 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Check out the Feminism board on Mumsnet. It's cult-like in its totalitarian GC outlook on literally everything and anything. There's a thread started earlier today about the French woman attacked in the street in Strasbourg for the crime of wearing a skirt. I find it difficult to follow their own particularly hysterical brand of 'common sense' at the best of times, but the opening poster appears to be implying that the victim of the crime must be a transwoman, seemingly for no other reason than the news reports don't explicitly specify that she is not. The victim isn't trans fwiw

It's utterly batshit the extremes they go to infer there's a patriarchy-driven, misogynistic woman-cancelling agenda to literally everything.

Why would you be on mumsnet anyway?

Surely not starting another PnB trolling escapade....

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Why are even 'reporting' this shite? Given how many folk watch that dreadful show, 1900 is an absolutely minuscule percentage of overall viewers.

The BBC is quickly becoming a clickbait, Buzzfeed-type website.

All these articles do is encourage more people to complain as a means to articulate their racist outlook.

Look at the replies. wtf-.jpg.1251f739b9f5bd44cc6e1a15534d3916.jpg

1 minute ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

All these articles do is encourage more people to complain as a means to articulate their racist outlook.

Aye, sadly so. 

Think I'll give the comments a pass!

I heard a pretty long spiel on the radio tonight whilst driving about a Harry Potter computer game which is causing much excitement.... Anyway, at the end, the DJ said seemingly JK Rowling has had very little involvement in the project. It would be a desperate shame for her if she has been cancelled from her own creation......

11 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Looking at the replies on twitter on sky news and bbc news they appear to be mostly people telling those who are complaining to get a grip. I had to scroll for a while until I found some arsehole with a Union Jack profile pic saying the show shouldn’t be political. I’m pretty sure the same individuals don’t complain when British soldiers are paraded on the show as heroes though. 

12 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Any story that is generated from a Twitter reaction is without fail clickbait shite.

And the BBC publish them with increasing regularity.

• 2 months later...

“I can’t imagine what it would be like to exist in her shoes,” Thomas said of Rowling’s recent years. “Where this story that lived in your head during the worst time in your life — when you’re a single mom, abuse survivor, living on welfare — your wildest dream comes true. Your story is the best-selling children’s-book series of all time. You transform children’s literature and media … I can’t imagine having had that much cultural significance and power, feeling as if the ground is shifting underneath your feet. Being told that you’re wrong.”

https://www.thecut.com/article/who-did-j-k-rowling-become.html

Interesting article about the path of Rowling to TERF-dom

3 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

“I can’t imagine what it would be like to exist in her shoes,” Thomas said of Rowling’s recent years. “Where this story that lived in your head during the worst time in your life — when you’re a single mom, abuse survivor, living on welfare — your wildest dream comes true. Your story is the best-selling children’s-book series of all time. You transform children’s literature and media … I can’t imagine having had that much cultural significance and power, feeling as if the ground is shifting underneath your feet. Being told that you’re wrong.”

https://www.thecut.com/article/who-did-j-k-rowling-become.html

Interesting article about the path of Rowling to TERF-dom

As someone that has recently learned what the term TERF meant I must say I liked this part of the article.

"She seemed to have aligned herself with a camp of people who often call themselves “gender-critical feminists”; opponents tend to call them TERFs, or “trans-exclusionary radical feminists,” though they are not necessarily very radical."

37 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

What did you like about it?

Most people that I've seen described as a TERF are not offering radical thought at all, I admittedly don't venture into whatever part of Twitter gets het up about such things so I'm sure there are plenty of radical viewpoints. I think you'd struggle to find them with let's say Rowling and your Wightman guy. 

I'm very new to the trans/terf debates. 

Also I read the full article, it was an interesting piece, fairly balanced. 

I was confused why there was such hatred on Twitter towards Rowling, I mean, I knew why she got it from "cybernats" but I actually didn't realise she expressed political opinions publicly - 

“I forgot Dumbledore trashed Hogwarts, refused to resign and ran off to the forest to make speeches to angry trolls,”

- In reference to someone calling Corbyn Dumbledore.. I now understand why so many irrational people have such an intense hatred for her. What a beautiful tweet. 

2 hours ago, Stormzy said:

“I forgot Dumbledore trashed Hogwarts, refused to resign and ran off to the forest to make speeches to angry trolls,”

As someone pointed out to Rowling at the time, Dumbledore did do something to this effect in the 5th book.

10 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

There was a good tweet about how while Bezos is probably objectively worse for society than Musk, he at least recognises that if you're incredibly wealthy, posting all the time on Twitter is beneath your attention, and therefore Musk deserves more scorn. I think that applies quite well to a number of people, Rowling included.

Bezos should be cancelled and ripped up

We used to, maybe still have, a monopolies commission in this country

How a global monopoly has been allowed to develop and continue is beyond me

Same for Microsoft, Google

Too dangerous allowing these cos with so much power