Cancel culture

I've got him on ignore but I'll guess at:

Phrase stolen from someone who rips the pish out of him eg "virginton" or ali_91

A claim my opinion doesn't matter 

A complete failure to address the fact he is voting down posts saying things like "don't use the word chinky"

Someone else's gif

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I've got him on ignore but I'll guess at:

Phrase stolen from someone who rips the pish out of him eg "virginton" or ali_91

A claim my opinion doesn't matter 

A complete failure to address the fact he is voting down posts saying things like "don't use the word chinky"

Someone else's gif

I’m cringing wildly 😄

The older I get,  the more realise there is no point in even replying to these appeasers. If you're more bothered about keeping the peace with a racist neighbour than advancing equality then you're best case a spineless shitebag, worst case a racist apologist.
For that comment, i decided i didn't want to fall out with my neighbour. He's not long moved here and from what I've gathered, he's a good guy. I've established that he's a yes voter and is fairly anti - war. Today's comment was a bit of a surprise. It does make me think a bit less of him, but I'm not going to write him off.

I've called out a racist comment at the football before, and would've handled the situation differently if it was a member of my family or close friend. I'm perfectly comfortable with my course of action.

I love that the term 'centrist' is being banded about a lot now, and I've been called it a few times. I guess they must've shifted the political boundaries in Scotland then, although I can't say i noticed.

It's certainly frustrating being mischaracterised on a forum like this, but I'll cope.

I vote for the green party and I'm a volunteer for common weal. So again, I'm perfectly comfortable with my 'leftie' credentials.

51 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

A couple of weeks before the bars were all closed, Mrs Shotgun and I ran into a couple we vaguely know via mutual friends. We ended up sitting having a drink with them but 5 minutes in, the guy decided it would be appropriate to tell a homophobic joke. I shut him down as soon as he'd got to "There was these two gay guys..", telling him it was 2020 and he needed to get some new material. Naturally, I got the "sorry if you were offended" and "I thought this was still a free country" and all the tripe we've heard a million times. If he'd told me the joke via the Internet I would've said the same thing, and no doubt, have received the same insults in return. 

That does not make ME the intolerant one.

I might be being whooshed here but if he never told the joke, how do you know if it was homophobic?

6 minutes ago, bennett said:

I might be being whooshed here but if he never told the joke, how do you know if it was homophobic?

I didn't know him very well, but I knew him and his opinions well enough that when he began a joke with a conspiratorial lean in and a lisping "There was these two gay guys...", it wasn't going to be positive. His responses confirmed it.

Guest JTS98
5 hours ago, velo army said:

I'm a bit unclear what you're objections to my post are (if, in fact, your objections are linked to my post). I mentioned J.K. Rowling because she is obviously high profile and is the most recent example of being held to account for her abhorrent views. 

I don't see who is writing off the objection of the above named academics. I'm grateful for the information regarding their roles in academic life though. I'll look them up.

Perhaps poorly worded. I wasn't objecting to your post. See the first sentence.

Guest JTS98
3 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Another day, another boomer hitting the career self destruct button by posting on Twitter.

What’s more shocking is that Ted Cruz is only 49.

What have I missed here? All I can see is something about goya beans.

10 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

What have I missed here? All I can see is something about goya beans.

1) Liberals advocate a boycott of a company after the CEO spoke out in support of Trump. Cruz whines about "The Left" trying to cancel them and suppressing free speech. James Woods agrees and talks about the suppression of speech and praises the CEO for leading the fight against liberal terrorism.

2) Cruz brags about boycotting a company for supporting an athlete who spoke out against Trump.

Another day, another case of "when you do it's bad, when we do it it's good." 

19 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

The Lib #metoo movement was quickly shut down when Sanders was outed as a misogynous and people came forward about creepy Biden.

The mug slinging is unreal.

I'm assuming you meant "mud slinging" but I kinda like the sound of what you said.

There are many reasons why I wouldn't want to run for office. Not least that I would be completely un-electable. There are things I've done in the past, things I do in the present and things I hope to do in the future which, given the USA's odd standards of morality would see me buried before things got started. However, I haven't done anything as disgusting as that video someone posted the other day of Biden creeping on those young girls. Or remotely close to anything that Trump says and does on a daily basis. The pair of them should get all kinds of shit for it and if that means I'm guilty of suppressing free speech and being part of the cancel culture then I'll take that hit. I don't want either of those sleazy old fuckers as my president and I'm fine with dirt being dug up on the pair of them.

Guest JTS98
9 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

"Cancel culture" is just the consequences of spouting bigoted rhetoric. People voting with their feet.

I take it apartheid South Africa was "cancelled" in the early 90s?

I'm surprised this hasn't been picked up on. This is a dreadful false equivalence that speaks to the overall point of the letter.

The South African apartheid state was not guilty of expressing an unpopular opinion. It was guilty of deliberately impoverishing a huge section of its population due to race. It was guilty of deliberately under-educating a huge section of its population. It was guilty of choosing to deny a huge section of its population access to acceptable healthcare. It was guilty of racially-aggravated murder, arrest, beatings, and torture.

Apartheid South Africa was not 'cancelled' for expressing an opinion. It was 'cancelled' for actual, grievous crimes of violence.

There is absolutely no comparison between this and the public cancelling of an academic, or business person, or actor, or MacDonald's employee for expressing a personal opinion. It is not a crime to have an opinion. Any opinion. This is enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

And it's not a crime for me to say I won't go to a venue that books a bigoted speaker, for example.

Has anybody ever claimed it is? Or tried to imply you should lose your job for doing so?

Guest JTS98
1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Don't you think the USA's paper of record publishing a piece written by a republican senator criticising BLM with the headline 'Send In The Troops' is prodding the needle in that sort of direction? I can't imagine he was writing about this without licking his lips thinking about 1968.

Nope. There's a world of difference between thinking someone else should do something and actually doing it yourself. And the example you give requires a bit of imagination (you even use the word imagine yourself) and assumption to get to the end of it.

Similarly, agreeing with the invasion of Iraq is not equal to being a war criminal. Denying the massacre at Srebrenica, or even holding the view that them Bosnians had it coming, is not the same as being one of the guys that did it.

I can think it would be good if someone bumped off Person X. That's a world of difference from bumping Person X off myself.

Edited by JTS98