5 hours ago, dee_62 said:

Same here - had loads of those magazines!  "Gott in Himmel", "hande hoch", "Schnell, schnell"  or "Mein Gott" etc etc

Me too. Fling in "Achtung Spitfire" and "Teufel" and that's my conversational German.😄

On 08/07/2020 at 13:01, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I've often said that one of the requirements for being in a position of power (e.g. MP) which could see the country's youth sent into combat, was that your own offspring must be first to be called up when the forces need cannon fodder. We'd soon see which Iraq/Afghanistan/Syria conflict was a "moral imperative" rather than a continuation of Western (i.e. US) capitalist expansion then.

One of the most stomach-churning images I ever saw was that Pious cúnt Blair sitting in the front row of a service in memory of young men and women who had died to ensure that Blair got his "legacy".

This is a terrible idea. Parents don't own their children, and everyone who joins the armed forces does so voluntarily.

At a slight tangent, and more about WWII, but back to communication.

After the D-Day landings the first reports back were actually sent by homing pigeons, far quicker than any other method, even radio on the day.

We visited a place in the Vosges mountains called hartmannswillerkopf last year.

It's basically a big traingle shaped lump of rock that is the Easternmost peak in the range. It looks directly over the Rhine valley and over into Germany.

Understandably then it was strategically very important and the mountain was continuously fought over by the French and Germans through the whole 4 years of the war. Tens of thousands died in an area the size of a few football fields.

What struck me was how well the whole area is preserved. Particularly the German side. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of yards of complete trench systems and dugouts you can freely explore.  Would advise watching where u step and no touching much though😯

The trenches, in some places only yards apart, were dug into rock. That and the fact there has been no development up in the mountains means that in some bits it looks as if the Germans had not that long ago packed up  and left.

Fascinating, sobering place, which I would thoroughly recommend to anyone with even a passing interest in ww1.

6 hours ago, aaa said:

I remember watching a programme about tunnel warfare during WW1, the massive explosion which left the Lochnager crater was the largest ever explosion until the first atomic tests if I remember correctly.

IIRC The largest non nuclear explosion was the Halifax explosion on 6 December 1917 in Canada during WW1. 

Two ships - the IMO and the Mont Blanc collided in Halifax Bay. One was carrying huge amounts of explosives.  The crew quickly abandoned ship and rowed to shore.  Once there they ran through a crowd of curious onlookers and headed for the hills.  "What's that all about?"

The resulting explosion was equivalent to 2.9 kilotons of TNT (about 20% of Hiroshima bomb), killed 2,000 people and severely damaged Halifax.

Edited by Fullerene

In the first few episodes of Peaky Blinders, there were several references to Tommy Shelby digging tunnels during the war. I hadn't heard about them until then and wasn't sure what they were all about. I'm guessing it would be the same ones being discussed upthread, yes?  

4 hours ago, Shotgun said:

In the first few episodes of Peaky Blinders, there were several references to Tommy Shelby digging tunnels during the war. I hadn't heard about them until then and wasn't sure what they were all about. I'm guessing it would be the same ones being discussed upthread, yes?  

Yeah, old fashioned siege tactics. Digging a tunnel under enemy positions, mining it with explosives then detonating it, bringing down chunks of the enemy line. 

It had some effectiveness but the effort required was prohibitive to very widespread use. 

17 hours ago, dee_62 said:

Same here - had loads of those magazines!  "Gott in Himmel", "hande hoch", "Schnell, schnell"  or "Mein Gott" etc etc

16 hours ago, Shotgun said:

"Pig-dog" has long been a favourite of mine. Interchangeable with the original German "Schweinehund".

I learned all my German from Commando. It's come in handy if you meet Germans on holiday.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I learned all my German from Commando. It's come in handy if you meet Germans on holiday.

During games of soldiers, I could often be heard running around the park with my pals screaming "Uching, uching"  (wasn't pronouncing achtung properly!!) 

13 hours ago, Shotgun said:

8 hours ago, renton said:

Yeah, old fashioned siege tactics. Digging a tunnel under enemy positions, mining it with explosives then detonating it, bringing down chunks of the enemy line. 

It had some effectiveness but the effort required was prohibitive to very widespread use. 

The Germans would listen out for the tunnels being dug and would then dig their own to try and meet them.

Sometimes the opposing tunnels would connect and the guys doing the digging would have a subterranean square go with their shovels. The main aim though was to tunnel under the enemy's tunnel and blow the b*****ds up.

Pretty horrific.

8 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

The Germans would listen out for the tunnels being dug and would then dig their own to try and meet them.

Sometimes the opposing tunnels would connect and the guys doing the digging would have a subterranean square go with their shovels. The main aim though was to tunnel under the enemy's tunnel and blow the b*****ds up.

Pretty horrific.

Damn straight. I'm getting the heebies just thinking about how awful that must've been.

51 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

War huh, what it is it good for?

Making gammons who've never been within a million miles of a battlefield feel proud to be British.

(Doesn't really scan; I'll admit.)

10 hours ago, renton said:

There is a mine and counter mine under the castle in St Andrews , should you want to see such a thing 

oh and these is us , fighting a war in the 20th century , using medieval tactics 

On 8 July 2020 at 00:28, NewBornBairn said:

The number of junior officers killed on the Somme and in other battles was out of proportion to ordinary soldiers.  17% of officers died compared to 12% of other ranks. These were in the main junior officers who climbed out of the trenches with their men but Britain lost about 230 Generals too, a casualty rate of about 18%. These were the aristocracy - or more often the sons of aristocracy so no real change from medieval times.

Leaving aside the Tom Hanks/Private Ryan idea of a good guy Junior officer, we'll never know how many Blackadder types were shot in the back in no-mans land.

What a place to get rid of a nasty piece of work.