All Scottish Leagues - composition for *next season.

mcruic

I'm trying to put together as complete a list as possible of the composition of all adult football leagues in Scotland (senior down to welfare).  In some cases, compositions are educated guesses.

I've completed the Seniors/Juniors and the East and North amateurs.  About to start on the West Amateurs.  I believe there is a new league starting next year (Football Central Lanarkshire Sunday).

While I'm doing this, I'm also putting in the towns where the teams play for reference, as there doesn't seem to be a website that has this info for all the teams.  In some cases, the club's town is the town it comes from, and not necessarily the place it currently plays.

http://theroonba.com/scotfoot/scotfoot.htm 

1 hour ago, jimmycouch said:

Ayrshire leagues latest update was that all leagues would be the same as last season with no promotion or relegation.

But have asked clubs for their ideas, so that may change.

Thanks - I'll update as info comes in.  I went by their website which had promotion/relegation icons on the league tables - of course, that's probably just placemarkers. 

2 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Minor correction is that Langholm is in Dumfries & Galloway not the Scottish Borders

All corrections welcome!  Manual data entry can get a bit tedious, and mistakes like this do happen.

19 hours ago, mcruic said:

I'm trying to put together as complete a list as possible of the composition of all adult football leagues in Scotland (senior down to welfare).  In some cases, compositions are educated guesses.

I've completed the Seniors/Juniors and the East and North amateurs.  About to start on the West Amateurs.  I believe there is a new league starting next year (Football Central Lanarkshire Sunday).

While I'm doing this, I'm also putting in the towns where the teams play for reference, as there doesn't seem to be a website that has this info for all the teams.  In some cases, the club's town is the town it comes from, and not necessarily the place it currently plays.

http://theroonba.com/scotfoot/scotfoot.htm 

Same as the comments above, plus:

Lowland League - BSC Glasgow play in Alloa, in Clackmannanshire.

EoS - I don't think I'd call Camelon a town, it's a suburb of Falkirk. 

8 hours ago, Marten said:

Another minor correction: it's Perth & Kinross, not Perthsire & Kinross.

Yeah don't know why I done that - it's my home county! I've changed it now. 

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

Same as the comments above, plus:

Lowland League - BSC Glasgow play in Alloa, in Clackmannanshire.

EoS - I don't think I'd call Camelon a town, it's a suburb of Falkirk. 

Yeah, I've put some teams in based on their original location (I believe BSC Glasgow play there "temporarily", even though they've been there for a while).  I think if they get into the SFL, they will move back to Glasgow.  Or they might do a Clyde and just change towns altogether.  But they are technically a "Glasgow club", hence the name.

I've put in recognisable areas within towns that have become swallowed up.  They are still treated separately for the census.

For some of the amateur/welfare teams, it was pretty hard to pinpoint where they play (or are based), so there may be a few errors.  But they're all there now, 1,260+ teams.

1 hour ago, gogsy said:

Any plans to expand site to include stuff like results?

I did have results on my website a couple of years ago (for juniors) before the SJFA got themselves together and got results on their site regularly - so there was no longer a need for me to do it.

With amateurs and welfare, there isn't one central site for all the results, so I guess that could be something to consider doing.  Would be good to have all results in one place.  Would essentially have to set aside most of a day though to update the results.  But it could be done.  There is a Scottish Amateur Fitba News site already, but I don't think it does results comprehensively.  Given that I already do results for 80 sports on my website, I guess I'm yaesed tae the trachle!

So, I guess I could set up a page for each league, with results and table (and cup competitions if that doesn't stretch me too far).  I wouldn't bother with fixtures - too many changes - better just to input the matches as they play.

The Fife side you are missing is Kincardine Colts, who for some reason were playing Sunday football last year in the Football Central Sunday League (most of the teams come from Falkirk to Glasgow area).

2 new teams for the Glasgow & District Sunday League - East End Athletic and Dynamo Glasgow.

I mentioned on here "Dormy Forrest" of the Strathclyde Saturday Morning League, and how it might be a misspelling - they've now changed it to Dormy Forest on the website.

I also tweeted another club - Lanarkshire Forrest - (Glasgow & District Saturday Morning League) - they insist their name is spelled "Forrest".  SAFA has both "Forrest" and "Forest" on different parts of the website.  Their club badge used to have a tree on it, which I assume related to the Forest (or Forrest.  The thing is, now I don't know if they've just misspelled it, but they've been on the go for a few years now and nobody seems to have noticed if they have.  Possibly Forrest refers to something else.

Just testing the feasibility of having all results in one place - I think if I stick to league results, it's possible.  At the moment, all junior results can be found in one place, and most senior results, but to find amateur or welfare results, you have to visit each individual website.  It would definitely be handy to have all tables and league results in one place.

Entering results in a certain format in Excel seems to be the easiest way, with a separate file for each association.  I'd then have to write some code in Python (I'm not an expert in this, but I can do it given a few days).  This would be do take the results from Excel and display them on the website, and also calculate and display the league tables.

Edited by mcruic

On 07/07/2020 at 17:24, mcruic said:

Current setup in Scotland looks something like this.

image.png.5fd761938f87fe09db9e3d53235cc7ed.png

Lots of hard work gone into this. I like doing lists etc but no way would I take this on. Congratulations. 

Wondering if you could list the leagues, rather than the councils, from top to bottom by the total numbers of teams (not clubs) in each league?

With the Under 20's Development League at 68 teams and the West of Scotland at 67 and the East of Scotland at 49 I wonder how they compare with all the other leagues. Are they now the largest?

I don't take into account youth leagues, but the others you mention are the largest adult leagues, along with the Aberdeenshire amateurs.  The Lothian & Edinburgh Amateur FA has the most teams (89), but they are split into Saturday (45) and Sunday (44) sections.

image.thumb.png.aa6d0bfebb7d310a98d09607437e1c36.png

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Shouldn't East Dunbartonshire have two senior clubs? Rossvale are nominally from Bishopbriggs and Rob Roy from Kirkintilloch.

Neither of them actually play there, so it's either 0 or 2, definitely not 1.

Thanks - I had Rob Roy correct, but not Rossvale (I wasn't aware of their nominal location).

30 minutes ago, mcruic said:

I don't take into account youth leagues, but the others you mention are the largest adult leagues, along with the Aberdeenshire amateurs.  The Lothian & Edinburgh Amateur FA has the most teams (89), but they are split into Saturday (45) and Sunday (44) sections.

image.thumb.png.aa6d0bfebb7d310a98d09607437e1c36.png

Thanks. Lots of decent size leagues out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note - the proposed "one place for all results/tables" has now been set up (senior/junior/amateur/welfare/women).  I've set up spreadsheets for each association, and I've written the code in Python to pull results from spreadsheets once they are entered, and make webpages with tables/results for each league.  I've also put in an automatically generated "form guide" showing results of last 6 games (most recent first), and a value between 0 and 100 based on this, along with a points per game column.

There's a randomly generated "example" league at the bottom to show how things would look when the results are entered.

Hopefully once the season starts I'll be able to keep this updated.

http://scotscores.theroonba.com/

Edited by mcruic
new address