The Famous Aberdeen’s European (Tour?) 2020

Frank Grimes

Guest DAVIDB69
Unlucky Aberdeen but Scottish teams just aren't good enough

It always seems to be the end of the road the 3rd qualifying round for non old firm teams. You have lost in this round countless times.

Set up next year is different of course

4 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Unlucky Aberdeen but Scottish teams just aren't good enough

Or they have budgets that are many multiple smaller than teams like Sporting Lisbon.

It comes down to money and UEFA making a mockery of seeding every qualification round so that 90% of the seeded / larger sides get through the group stages. It is a feckin stitch up.

Both Motherwell and Aberdeen have played to their seeded status and expectations. So disappointing but not entirely unexpected. 

Edited by welldaft

Or they have budgets that are many multiple smaller than teams like Sporting Lisbon.
It comes down to money and UEFA making a mockery of seeding every qualification round so that 90% of the seeded / larger sides get through the group stages. It is a feckin stick up.
Both Motherwell and Aberdeen have played to their seeded status and expectations. So disappointing but not entirely unexpected. 
Fair comment..

18 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Coates different class for them.

He’s a diving c**t but you can see why he’s got 40 odd caps for Uruguay, classy player.

18 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Early? Bang on schedule 

Exactly, going by the TRF patented turd-o-meter it’s never us ‘letting Scotland down’ by going out early.

Edited by AngusTheBull

Frustrating to lose by one goal. I thought that we played them really well and that our tactics were spot on. The subs were well timed as well. We were containing them and changing the shape too early could have been disastrous. But Sporting wasted, I think, 1 ball in the whole of the second half. No long range shooting, going front to back if needed, and just frustrated the hell out of us. We did break well at times, but needed a goalscorer to take a half chance. That was a lot better a watch than I thought it was going to be before kick off. The defence recovered well from Sunday, and thought that they all played well.

Only caught last 30 min, thought Aberdeen played well but just lacked wee bit of quality/ luck

thought should have had a free kick in great area for foul on Wright but didn’t get it, then ref gave them one a min later for less contact from Hayes.

No shame on losing tonight. 

12 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Frustrating to lose by one goal. I thought that we played them really well and that our tactics were spot on. The subs were well timed as well. We were containing them and changing the shape too early could have been disastrous. But Sporting wasted, I think, 1 ball in the whole of the second half. No long range shooting, going front to back if needed, and just frustrated the hell out of us. We did break well at times, but needed a goalscorer to take a half chance. That was a lot better a watch than I thought it was going to be before kick off. The defence recovered well from Sunday, and thought that they all played well.

Can't agree with the subs Joey. Watkins was done and McGeouch had been non existent the whole of the second half. We sat far too deep and played in to Lisbons ahnds in that second half after playing them perfectly first half (goal aisde).

Another case of what could have been if Derek had shown faith in the players in that final fifteen minutes.

47 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

This was a Sporting side there for the taking, but we were far too timid for 80 minutes. 

The referee was an abomination, but you have to be clever enough to know how to play him. We weren't. 

Away to f**k with the platitudes that'll undoubtedly come about ' competed well' and all that. We could have won that game. 

I’ve no idea why you come to the conclusion that Sporting were there for the taking. We had to fight to get any possession as they barely wasted a ball all match. We certainly could have taken it to extra time with a bit of luck, but no way were they “there for the taking”.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Can't agree with the subs Joey. Watkins was done and McGeouch had been non existent the whole of the second half. We sat far too deep and played in to Lisbons ahnds in that second half after playing them perfectly first half (goal aisde).

Another case of what could have been if Derek had shown faith in the players in that final fifteen minutes.

One of the reasons that Sporting weren’t playing through us was the position that McGeouch was taking up. I felt that we had to be sure that there was only one goal in it going into the last 15 before trying to get an extra forward player on. You’ve got a point with Watkins, and in hindsight Edmondson could have come on earlier.

45 minutes ago, G-MAN said:

I must have watched a different game.

I thought we were excellent and the players should be proud of themselves.

Hmmm, that is slightly overstating things.

I think we played well from 15-35 mins and then had a flurry in the last 15 mins................other than that, very passive and in many ways content to let a side in their first competitive match play things at their pace - and manage the game and the Montenegrin referee, who was opposite of the guy we got in Stavanger last week in how he treated physical contact.

Coates may be a 'diving c**t' as someone said, but a Uruguayan who knows how to get things done - whilst we have our honest-as-they-come players running around whinging at the injustice of it all...........happens every season, and all it does it wastes time and energy.

It is the same movie with us in Europe - play to our seeding, but never really threaten to break through the glass ceiling - and if we're being honest, the club, players, management and fans alike don't seem too pissed off about it................almost a bit of a meh shoulder shrug as we look forward to the delights of Dingwall.

32 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

One of the reasons that Sporting weren’t playing through us was the position that McGeouch was taking up. I felt that we had to be sure that there was only one goal in it going into the last 15 before trying to get an extra forward player on. You’ve got a point with Watkins, and in hindsight Edmondson could have come on earlier.

Absolutely but he was uncharacteristically poor on the ball in the second half. Ferguson could have taken that position earlier than he did and let Wright come on to play with the space they were leaving.

If Hernandez is not good enough to play ahead of an aged Logan and McGinn at wing back then that should be someone at the club out of a job. Allegedly cost more than 3/4 of a million and he's stuck on the bench. It's been over twenty years since we've made a signing of that cost.

39 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I’ve no idea why you come to the conclusion that Sporting were there for the taking. We had to fight to get any possession as they barely wasted a ball all match. We certainly could have taken it to extra time with a bit of luck, but no way were they “there for the taking”.

Their defence was also pretty excellent, gave Watkins, poor as he was, nothing all night.

31 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

It is the same movie with us in Europe - play to our seeding, but never really threaten to break through the glass ceiling - and if we're being honest, the club, players, management and fans alike don't seem too pissed off about it................almost a bit of a meh shoulder shrug as we look forward to the delights of Dingwall.

I don’t think that’s very accurate. I think on the whole people are disappointed following today, but also realistic about the fact they’re the best team we’ll play all season.

And looking back to games at this stage in previous years where we have gone out (Kairat, Maribor, Limassol etc.), the reaction after those was not exactly a meek acceptance, particularly amongst fans following Limassol.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

What a flat feeling. Nothing to get upset about but nothing to get excited about either.

No disgrace. Just got to work hard this season to make sure we secure the third round knockout next season.