The Famous Aberdeen’s European (Tour?) 2020

Frank Grimes

40 minutes ago, resk said:

Looking at the Well, Sevco and Celtic draws like WTAF man.

The bigot brothers are seeded.  We might have been, if UEFA hadn't changed the rules to help occasional qualifiers from bigger countries a couple of seasons back.

Motherwell have a slightly softer draw than us in both rounds, but they would still be second favourites by a distance against Hapoel Beersheva.

The bigot brothers are seeded.  We might have been, if UEFA hadn't changed the rules to help occasional qualifiers from bigger countries a couple of seasons back.

Motherwell have a slightly softer draw than us in both rounds, but they would still be second favourites by a distance against Hapoel Beersheva.

Fair enough, I didn't realise They were seeded. I don't know about Motherwell having a "slightly softer" draw.... it looks like a much easier draw to me.

27 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

1 hour ago, resk said:

Looking at the Well, Sevco and Celtic draws like WTAF man.

Celtic are also in the Champions Path, which is obviously easier than the League Path.

19 minutes ago, resk said:

Fair enough, I didn't realise They were seeded. I don't know about Motherwell having a "slightly softer" draw.... it looks like a much easier draw to me.

You are probably correct there - but the difference in QR2 (Northern Ireland vs Norway) is probably even more stark than the prospective QR3 away ties in Lisbon and the Israeli desert.

16 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Well, at least we don't have to worry about getting our hopes up.

I'm starting to think that the bottle-jobs against a mediocre Maribor and that even more mediocre Cypriot mob were the best opportunities that we're likely to get.

Were they 'bottle jobs' ?

Admittedly we should have beaten Maribor 4-1 at Pittodrie, when Stockley won every knock down going and Rooney kept missing easy chances.

Then we were the better side over there and the victims of scandalous refereeing   eg  rolling the ball into an empty net, but getting pulled back for a (missed) spot kick - keeper staying on the park for a cynical assault, whereas he couldn't send off Stockley quickly enough. 

Apollon looked decent in both legs - the bigger Cypriot clubs still maintain the transit club status for S.American or Balkan players to gain EU passports - and if you look at their results since they played us, you will see that they're strong - especially of course in 35 degree temperatures at home.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Losing to Viking then finding out Sporting have to forfeit the next round would be very Aberdeen 

I hadn't even considered that but yeah that's got Aberdeen written all over it.

I hope we'll catch them cold as it'll be their first game.