Classic games you've missed

Ron Aldo

Went down to Newcastle to visit a friend who was studying at South Shields, and the previous couple of times I'd been we'd taken in the home game at St James' Park.

On this occasion, the cheapest tickets we could get were about £45, decided to spend the day boozing instead.  After 10 minutes they were trailing 0-3, and by HT they'd conceded another to an Arsenal side that looked like serious title contenders (remember when that was a thing?).  Anyway, sneeringly we congratulated ourselves on saving the guts of 50 quid to NOT be surrounded by furious Geordies.

FT - Newcastle United 4-4 Arsenal, 5th February 2011.  

NB:  I also missed the 2007 LC semi-final where Steven Naismith and a supporting cast chucked Falkirk about Fir Park like 11 bags of washing - although I had the flu at the time, so I feel like that's at least a genuine excuse.

10 hours ago, Estragon said:

Went down to Newcastle to visit a friend who was studying at South Shields, and the previous couple of times I'd been we'd taken in the home game at St James' Park.

On this occasion, the cheapest tickets we could get were about £45, decided to spend the day boozing instead.  After 10 minutes they were trailing 0-3, and by HT they'd conceded another to an Arsenal side that looked like serious title contenders (remember when that was a thing?).  Anyway, sneeringly we congratulated ourselves on saving the guts of 50 quid to NOT be surrounded by furious Geordies.

FT - Newcastle United 4-4 Arsenal, 5th February 2011.  

NB:  I also missed the 2007 LC semi-final where Steven Naismith and a supporting cast chucked Falkirk about Fir Park like 11 bags of washing - although I had the flu at the time, so I feel like that's at least a genuine excuse.

I wish I’d missed that league cup semi final with the flu. Naismith destroyed Falkirk that night, one of  the best individual performances I’ve seen against Falkirk who were rancid. Having to wait for an hour in traffic outside of Motherwell contributed to a miserable night.

I missed Falkirk beating Hearts 4-0 in the cup as I couldn’t get the day off from my part time job in a chicken farm which funded my student life at the time.  

One Saturday a few years back, I ended up stuck at work due to a scheduling f**k-up, so I missed an end-of-season game against fellow promotion rivals. Quarter to five or so and the Brechin fans start trooping in.

"You just back from the game?"
"Aye."
"How was it?"
"Bad. 6-1."
"...f**k."

I missed us putting eight past Elgin too because the wean wasn't well. Also us lifting the Division 3 title for a similar reason. And the 2-2 game against England because of that same fucking job.

I'm genuinely struggling to think of a time when I've missed a really big or monumental game involving Killie, I've always managed to get to the big games like semi-finals or finals on the rare occasions that we've been involved, I'll have missed the odd away game where it turned into a big scoreline but nothing really to mention. I did miss the second leg of Liverpool v Barca last year due to something being on at my bowling club (can't remember what it was exactly) and my mate who was the vice-president was annoyed with missing the game in case the comeback was achieved. His face when he found out they'd won was a priceless mixture of anger and joy from them achieving it but him missing the game in real time... I almost felt sorry for him. Almost. 

Guest JTS98
9 hours ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

I missed Falkirk beating Hearts 4-0 in the cup as I couldn’t get the day off from my part time job in a chicken farm which funded my student life at the time.  

I was at that. You should have let me know. I'd have swapped your shift for you.