Raoul Moat - 10 years on

14 minutes ago, throbber said:

His name was Derek Bird and that happened a month before Moat on 2 June 2010. He killed his own twin brother first then drove about shooting and killing another 11 people before killing himself. Apparently a very nice guy as well.

I'm sure I've written this before but I was in that area when it was all kicking off. Very much a case if It could have been me considering he was taking pop shots at randoms. 

Just now, Dee Man said:

I'm sure I've written this before but I was in that area when it was all kicking off. Very much a case if It could have been me considering he was taking pop shots at randoms. 

Aye I remember you saying actually. It was in Cumbria. 

His name was Derek Bird and that happened a month before Moat on 2 June 2010. He killed his own twin brother first then drove about shooting and killing another 11 people before killing himself. Apparently a very nice guy as well.

12 dead but it was a mundane loner going over the edge. It lacked the celebrity input Moaty had. If Bird had holed up in the Stan Laurel museum or kidnapped Gavin and Helen Skelton he might be up there with the great comedy murderers of the UK.

He was driving about asking people how their day was before pulling the shotgun out and shooting them.

Glad to hear he kept basic civilities even at a time of some tension, unlike most of the youth of today.

Edited by welshbairn

9 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

12 dead but it was a mundane loner going over the edge. It lacked the celebrity input Moaty had. If Bird had holed up in the Stan Laurel museum or kidnapped Gavin and Helen Skelton he might be up there with the great comedy murderers of the UK.

Yeah I know I said a further 11 dead after shooting his brother which obviously was the beginning of his meltdown. Tbqh I imagine most of us imagine going on a killing spree from time to time, Bird had a pretty boring life by the sounds of it and probably wanted to go out in flames.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Aye, the Gazza episode is probably the only reason the Raoul Moat thing has lived on in folk memory while the Cumbria one's pretty much been forgotten.

For the Cumbria shootings to stick in people's minds they really needed Melvyn Bragg showing up steaming at some point in the proceedings with cans, a bag of mixed pakora and a swingball set.

9 minutes ago, throbber said:

Aye I remember you saying actually. It was in Cumbria. 

Used to drive by his house in Rowrah a few times a month afterwards and it was unsurprisingly boarded up for a while. Here's his street of bleak terraced houses off Google maps for anyone who is even remotely interested. 

Screenshot_20200704-155424_Maps.jpg

25 minutes ago, throbber said:

I was going to post similar about how it doesn’t get spoken about as much as Moat considering how many people this guy killed. He was a taxi driver who was an all round pretty placid guy by all accounts who clearly just snapped. He was driving about asking people how their day was before pulling the shotgun out and shooting them. Just absolutely awful stuff. Moat only killed his girlfriends new partner and then himself, he shot and blinded a police officer who took his own life years later.

He shot his ex as well and spread a bit of fear and alarm in the vicinity.

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

All amateurs compared to Michael Ryan.

He was much like Bird. There is a commonality in most of the spree shootings in this country. Most wouldn't have been news much outside Newcastle if Gazza hadn't turned up.

Hamilton shot children which set him apart. Usually, despite the horror people move on and the incident needs a hook to stay in the memory.

7 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

All amateurs compared to Michael Ryan.

Ah yes, the Hungerford Massacre.

Apparently his mother was partly to blame for that one. She asked Michael to shoot up the town and get a pint of milk.

Was that also not the time that boy killed some prostitutes with a crossbow and called himself The Crossbow Killer in court then topped himself when these other guys upped the ante and knocked him out the papers

He called himself the Crossbow Cannibal and hasn’t killed himself as far as I know.

Just been reading on Wikipedia about Derrick Bird. The description of events unfolding is terrifying. Boys completely lost it.

Sounds like a combination of numerous things that made him snap. Resigned from his job at the nuclear plant after allegations of theft, got beat up by fare dodgers 3 yrs previously and wasn’t the same after, was being investigated by HMRC over tax evasion, lost money after he sent a grand to his Thai “girlfriend” and she dumped him afterwards [emoji23] and a family feud over his fathers will.

Aye sounds it. Salt of the earth, couldn't do more for you. Very good.

14 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Just been reading on Wikipedia about Derrick Bird. The description of events unfolding is terrifying. Boys completely lost it.

Sounds like a combination of numerous things that made him snap. Resigned from his job at the nuclear plant after allegations of theft, got beat up by fare dodgers 3 yrs previously and wasn’t the same after, was being investigated by HMRC over tax evasion, lost money after he sent a grand to his Thai “girlfriend” and she dumped him afterwards emoji23.png and a family feud over his fathers will.

When I first came back up the road I worked for Action Fraud for a while. Used to take all these stories of fraud by people who had been duped and, although you had to appear sympathetic, most of the time ye just thought "You fell for that? You fucking plum" almost all of them would then recount stories similar to the one above: the fraud was usually after a bunch of other things that had went tits up. Kinda separate from the Raoul Moat thing but an interesting aside I just realised now.

Anyway no-one's yet mentioned the most fucked up part of the story: a Geordie called Raoul

6 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
1 hour ago, throbber said:

Aye sounds it. Salt of the earth, couldn't do more for you. Very good.

Well what I mean was that he completely snapped out of the blue and didn’t have a violent history like Moat.