Played out tropes in TV and Film

The OP

On 14/04/2021 at 13:06, Rugster said:

When someone takes a painkiller it is effective immediately. 

And they always throw their head back as if that'll make it go down their throat any quicker.

• 2 months later...

Two people have fallen/been thrown from a plane/helicopter/high building, one before the other. The one that started their descent later is able to defy gravity and travel faster than the other one, catching them up, grabbing them and managing to ensure that they both survive by some ridiculously unlikely circumstance.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Woman has never used a gun before. Guy makes her shoot some tin cans off a wall for 10 mins and now she’s expert marksman.
Who then proceeds to take down ex SAS mercenaries who couldn't hit water if they fell out a boat.

2 hours ago, Gallo24 said:

Woman has never used a gun before. Guy makes her shoot some tin cans off a wall for 10 mins and now she’s expert marksman.

It had never occurred to me, but you don't see that with men. Women and kids being given a brief lesson in marksmanship that'll later come in handy, sure. But I don't remember a scene where a male firearm virgin is quickly taught the basics of shooting and becomes a dead shot. The movies just seem to assume that men have some preternatural knowledge about firing guns.

First terminators always kind of bugged me.  It’s a fucking robot.  Why would it need guns.  It gets all the addresses of Sarah Connor from the phone book.  Drive to each house late at night.  Walk in.  Tango them in the head.  Head turns to jelly.  No noise. 
2 hrs work.  Job done and Micheal Bein is still trying on nikes.

That limitless film too.  I now have a super iq and a great ability to make money.  I’ll borrow some cash off the local friendly Russian mafia.  What could go wrong?

Edited by Lofarl

On 10/07/2021 at 01:08, Empty It said:

Jumping in a car that's not moved in years and it starting after a few dramatic moments of the engine turning over.

The brilliant Sleeper springs to mind but that was part of the gag.

On 10/07/2021 at 07:07, Gallo24 said:

The reverse is a man has never used a gun before and even after 10 hours training still cant hit the can...

On 10/07/2021 at 02:24, Bully Wee Villa said:

Two people have fallen/been thrown from a plane/helicopter/high building, one before the other. The one that started their descent later is able to defy gravity and travel faster than the other one, catching them up, grabbing them and managing to ensure that they both survive by some ridiculously unlikely circumstance.

That's the opening to one of the Roger Moore James bond films, he leaves the plane without a parachute several seconds after a guy with a parachute, manages to catch up with him, steal the 'chute and opens it.

ETA it was Moonraker.

Edited by Arch Stanton

On 10/07/2021 at 09:58, BFTD said:

It had never occurred to me, but you don't see that with men. Women and kids being given a brief lesson in marksmanship that'll later come in handy, sure. But I don't remember a scene where a male firearm virgin is quickly taught the basics of shooting and becomes a dead shot. The movies just seem to assume that men have some preternatural knowledge about firing guns.

villagers/farmers get taught the basics in fire-arms by the gun for hire hero(s) ahead of the next assault on the village. Training tends to be more focused on laying traps and using pitchforks more effectively, but certainly some get some shooting training and become quite accomplished. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/07/2020 at 18:44, Arch Stanton said:

A recording of a man screaming, The Wilhelm Scream, has been used in over 400 movies and TV series.

Saw The Forever Purge last week, and there's an incredibly prominent Wilhelm Scream at one point, which actually raised a cheer from a surprising number of audience members (including me, embarrassingly).

They really need to drop this shit now.