Played out tropes in TV and Film

The OP

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Also a recording of a screaming woman that I've heard hundreds of times.

There must be a website that keeps track of all these overused effects.

You should expect an angry reply from Hollywood.

"Not overused enough!  Every since I was little I always wanted to be in the movies but I never had the looks and I could never remember my lines.  Anyway as it turns out they loved my screams.  So that's me.  Every time they need a scream,  they give me a call.  I go down to the studio.  Spend a few hours screaming away and then they give me a paycheck.  Sometimes they use a scream from a previous film but I still get royalties.  Been doing this for years.  Certainly helps supplement my income as a marriage councillor."

Now you know.

Copycat is very good and watching it again reminded me that the computer graphics nowhere near matched what my PC could/can do.... skulls with wings, hippies metamorphosing into brides etc. The creep's PC must've cost thousands of dollars and him on a comms wage.

Borderline alcoholic cop , with a broken marriage who's unable to form relationships with hardly anyone, he's no respect for his senior officers hes constantly on his last warning for his rule breaking and reckless behaviour, but he always solves the case and makes his rivals look stupid 

19 hours ago, stanton said:

Borderline alcoholic cop , with a broken marriage who's unable to form relationships with hardly anyone, he's no respect for his senior officers hes constantly on his last warning for his rule breaking and reckless behaviour, but he always solves the case and makes his rivals look stupid 

If you get tired of that you can watch Prime Suspect.

On 13/07/2020 at 22:07, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Also a recording of a screaming women that I've heard hundreds of times. First time I noticed I'd heard it before was in the film Copycat; it's the one where Siggy Weaver gets emailed a video of the next victim dancing about at a festival.

A recording of a man screaming, The Wilhelm Scream, has been used in over 400 movies and TV series.

40 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

A recording of a man screaming, The Wilhelm Scream, has been used in over 400 movies and TV series.

Only 400? I know that sound better than <Poster X> kens <Poster Y>'s wife's orgasmic moans.

Sorry, I'm tired. Shandon Par and Bairnardo are my picks for those two variables, but I'm not sure in which order.

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Arabdownunder said:

Nowadays having a female character smoking is a signal that she has emotional/mental health issues

Replacing the old trope that she was sexually available.

Presumably that was a very subtle cigarette-as-penis metaphor.

2 secondary school pupils siting diagonally from one another having a secretive conversation. The teacher is monotonously delivering her lesson in the background and occasionally pauses to tell one of the pupils to shut up.

Also, the teacher ignorantly embarrassing a socially outcast pupil who is going through a tough time. The rest of the class chuckle at the teacher’s sarcastic remarks.

2 secondary school pupils siting diagonally from one another having a secretive conversation. The teacher is monotonously delivering her lesson in the background and occasionally pauses to tell one of the pupils to shut up.

Also, the teacher ignorantly embarrassing a socially outcast pupil who is going through a tough time. The rest of the class chuckle at the teacher’s sarcastic remarks.

7 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Folk turning up at weddings who you never see one single time before or after the ceremony/reception.

On the other side of that, close family members such as parents or siblings not attending weddings or funerals with no explanation why they're not there purely as the actor has left the role. This is especially bad in a UK TV programme as no matter where they've moved to in the UK it surely wouldn't be too much of an issue to attend a big family event.

20 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

On the other side of that, close family members such as parents or siblings not attending weddings or funerals with no explanation why they're not there purely as the actor has left the role. This is especially bad in a UK TV programme as no matter where they've moved to in the UK it surely wouldn't be too much of an issue to attend a big family event.

I’ve been watching Greys Anatomy as my fiancée likes it and wanted to watch it again. It’s not the best, but more enjoyable than I’d expected. However, exactly what you’ve said has just happened. The main character has a best pal for the first 10 seasons and they are absolutely inseparable, until the actress playing the pal left the show. Then shortly after the main character’s husband dies, yet the pal isn’t at the funeral and doesn’t even give her a ring to check she’s okay. I get they can’t have the actress come back if she doesn’t want to, but at least fucking mention them in some way!

Doing a watch through of Desperate Housewives because it’s brilliant, and something I’ve noticed a couple of times, which happens in loads of American tv shows and films, is something bad has happened, and the guy  is sat on their sofa watching the news, then the wife comes in and just before the crucial piece of information is revealed, she turns the tv off and ask him to do the washing up or something.