Played out tropes in TV and Film

The OP

Low level henchmen thinking they can take on a hero, and amusingly getting absolutely burst by said hero, usually very quickly.

It's like mate, you're an unnamed gang member, you really think you can take on Batman?

Austin Powers 3 had a good bit about this.

Characters get killed off at the end of the penultimate season but appear in every episode of the final season in flashbacks. 

Writer - ‘Yeah, so you’ve been written out of the show. Oh don’t worry, you’ve still got a job for another season’. 

Actor - ‘Nice one cheers, see you in a month for filming.’

• 3 months later...

Conjunctivitis.

I don't know it's more prevalent in America for some reason but, if a comedy show runs for long enough, they all end up with an episode where someone gets "pinkeye" and the cast will panic about catching it from them, thus ruining an important event where appearance is important. Inevitably, everybody gets it.

16 hours ago, BFTD said:

Conjunctivitis.

I don't know it's more prevalent in America for some reason but, if a comedy show runs for long enough, they all end up with an episode where someone gets "pinkeye" and the cast will panic about catching it from them, thus ruining an important event where appearance is important. Inevitably, everybody gets it.

Sounds like the plot of an episode of The Big Bang Theory.

17 hours ago, BFTD said:

Conjunctivitis.

It caused an outbreak of Zombies in South Park 

A variant on this - chicken pox. I was remembering it as pinkeye, but Friends had an episode where Phoebe got chicken pox when she was trying to get her hole from a guy she saw infrequently, so I guess you can expand it to "a contagious, unpleasant condition".

16 minutes ago, BFTD said:

A variant on this - chicken pox. I was remembering it as pinkeye, but Friends had an episode where Phoebe got chicken pox when she was trying to get her hole from a guy she saw infrequently, so I guess you can expand it to "a contagious, unpleasant condition".

Can you use the expression "get your hole" when talking about a woman?

2 hours ago, GordonD said:

Can you use the expression "get your hole" when talking about a woman?

I have seen it used thusly.

I believe Phoebe from Friends wanted to get it on with Charlie Sheen, so it really wouldn't be a surprise if some backdoor strap-on action was involved.

A character imploring another character to join them in following some unlikely course of action, and replying "there's no time to explain" when asked why, despite:

1. The explanation would only take a few seconds

2. They could easily just provide an explanation while on their way to the next scene in the film/TV series.

The other character will always agree instantly and never say something like "no, I'm not giving up my job and leaving my house and family to go on a flight to Nicaragua unless you can be bothered taking a few seconds to explain why".

4 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

A character imploring another character to join them in following some unlikely course of action, and replying "there's no time to explain" when asked why, despite:

1. The explanation would only take a few seconds

2. They could easily just provide an explanation while on their way to the next scene in the film/TV series.

The other character will always agree instantly and never say something like "no, I'm not giving up my job and leaving my house and family to go on a flight to Nicaragua unless you can be bothered taking a few seconds to explain why".

As ever, The Simpsons got this absolutely right

_GGiaUCBNPAN9f0F2a46shDO2mY=.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Medical shows. Patient is lying in the hospital bed, with a loved one (parent or spouse) next to them. 

Patient has some sort of seizure or starts spewing blood. Alarms go off. Doctors come rushing in to save the patient... And get body blocked by the now hysterical loved one screaming "What's happening?" The loved one will almost lie on top of the patient to block the doctors getting to the patient. 

A short tussle until the doctor tells some anonymous orderly to get them out of the room. 

More of an American drama thing but teens sneaking out at night.

1) They always get caught

2) Why are the parents of 17 year olds not letting the weans outside after like 10pm?

3) They always say they are furious and that there will be a massive punishment, but there never is and it’s basically forgotten about by the next episode.

39 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

More of an American drama thing but teens sneaking out at night.

1) They always get caught

2) Why are the parents of 17 year olds not letting the weans outside after like 10pm?

3) They always say they are furious and that there will be a massive punishment, but there never is and it’s basically forgotten about by the next episode.

In relation to this, American teenagers will always stay across the road or next door to their love interest certainly within a distance that both bedroom windows will be in clear view of each other 

Edited by Bert Raccoon

12 hours ago, The Golden God said:

"You're grounded."

12 hours ago, The Golden God said:

In Hollywood, middle-class Americans are essentially children until they reach the age of 21, despite driving cars and holding down jobs. Made even weirder by the fact that they're always portrayed by people 25-30 years old.

The wean and I were watching something the other night where a woman looked like she was mid-Thirties and her supposed daughter was just a few years younger. You get used to that kind of bizarre casting, but sometimes they can't help push it too far and you end up wondering when they're going to introduce the harrowing statutory rape backstory.

28 minutes ago, BFTD said:

The wean and I were watching something the other night where a woman looked like she was mid-Thirties and her supposed daughter was just a few years younger. You get used to that kind of bizarre casting, but sometimes they can't help push it too far and you end up wondering when they're going to introduce the harrowing statutory rape backstory.

Must re-read The Alan Clark Diaries...

This may have been noted already 

Folk's childhood bedrooms are somehow totally preserved years after they have become an adult and moved out. Weirdly they are preserved from when the person was 10-12. So somehow the character lived in a child's room when they were a teenager, and their parents never alterted a single thing about the room.

When I first moved out (to go to uni the first time) my older brother stole my room. When I moved out the second time (technically third, but anyway was to uni the second time) my parents totally changed the room and even changed the locks on the doors and didn't tell me.

Third (technically fourth) and final time I moved out they chucked out pretty much everything (bed included) in the room and redecorated it multiple times. It's now being used as my old man's home office when he works from home.