Played out tropes in TV and Film

The OP

13 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

A couple of guys from a big city are passing through some small town in the deep south.

They'll stop off at a roadside bar, where the locals are playing pool. The women will show interest but the men will be pissed off and start a fight.

The ladies always know a couple of big city shaggers when they see them.

6 hours ago, TheScarf said:

The ladies always know a couple of big city shaggers when they see them.

When someone from Inverness posts this you wonder whether the subtext is a smug pride in his exploits the last time he was in Dingwall or Tain or a simmering resentment of dashing Southern tourists visiting Inverness

Just now, topcat(The most tip top) said:

When someone from Inverness posts this you wonder whether the subtext is a smug pride in his exploits the last time he was in Dingwall or Tain or a simmering resentment of dashing Southern tourists visiting Inverness

Definitely the former brother.

Elevators 

If the charcter needs one asap (either being chased or chasing someone) the lift is as far away as possible in the building and moves like its powered with an energizer battery 

But if theres no rush, charcter just talking away, one press of the lift button (usually in a big office building or a big housing building) then bing the lift is miraculously at their floor 

Lifts are never one or two floors away 

Magical autistic people.

Every single autistic person I've seen on screen is a savant of some sort while being utterly useless at relating to people. I know many autistic people who aren't very smart at all and some who are actually ok at relating to people.

None in film or TV though. A'body on the spectrum in that world is an Einsteinian man-child.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

Magical autistic people.

Every single autistic person I've seen on screen is a savant of some sort while being utterly useless at relating to people. I know many autistic people who aren't very smart at all and some who are actually ok at relating to people.

None in film or TV though. A'body on the spectrum in that world is an Einsteinian man-child.

Was this a thing before Rain Man? I remember that's when it exploded as a trope, but I'm too young to remember before that.

My maw worked with autistic kids and was absolutely seething about that film for years  :P