Played out tropes in TV and Film

The OP

9 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Man is arrested for an accidental crime. He learns that he must do certain things to survive inside. He must join a gang. He must fight. He probably will have to kill.

Meanwhile the wife is concerned, increasingly so with each visit. Despite the husband repeatedly telling her that things work differently inside, she remains comically naive to the situation. In fact she pretty much refuses to believe that things don't function like normal society in prison and is inexplicably mad at him for this.

image.thumb.jpeg.91f511d265f69a6f8739a84f6a99d38d.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bert Raccoon said:

image.thumb.jpeg.91f511d265f69a6f8739a84f6a99d38d.jpeg

Haha, exactly the film I watched last night just before my post!

See also Shot Caller, although that film ultimately does go down a different path, but not before the aforementioned stuff I posted.

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Haha, exactly the film I watched last night just before my post!

See also Shot Caller, although that film ultimately does go down a different path, but not before the aforementioned stuff I posted.

Had a feeling it may have been, watched it Sunday and you're spot on tbh. Think there was one with Tom Selleck back in the 90s

image.thumb.jpeg.2ab966d2128a3e7be05293447811deee.jpeg

46 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Is Val Kilmer playing a CGI character in this?

I think he's been computer-generated for a good while now.

See The Snowman for a bizarre example of this.

Detectives arrive at murder scene, talk to one of the CSI team away from the body, just as the conversation finishes one of the other CSI’s shouts the boss over and they make a discovery that somehow hasn’t been made in the massive amount of time that’s taken place between the CSI’s getting there and the detectives arriving.

Depressed folk are almost always very attractive folk still in top shape with almost perfect make up and hair, although on occasion the perfect hair may be a bit out of place.

Also they seem to have plenty of cash, still live in a massive house, can afford to drive, can still afford to eat (and usually well), can usually to go on a lengthy holiday (indeed multiple films featuring a 'depressed' character use this as a major plot point). Load of pish.

Edited by DA Baracus

On 19/11/2022 at 22:45, The Golden God said:

Major plot builds up and then just as you’re about to to get to the conclusion they put a full flashback of episode in. Done purely to get an extra episode in and make more money.

The worst ever was Shades of Gray (Star Trek: The Next Generation). The writers strike meant that there were fewer episodes made that year. It killed off the original Borg storyline that had been planned. And then they finished with this episode of clips. 

On 21/11/2022 at 12:08, scottsdad said:

The worst ever was Shades of Gray (Star Trek: The Next Generation). The writers strike meant that there were fewer episodes made that year. It killed off the original Borg storyline that had been planned. And then they finished with this episode of clips. 

the ultimate and perhaps the first (ship in a) bottle episode......

• 1 month later...

Alright, this is a weird one. There was once a horror film with a scene where somebody went to get something from a fridge - when they closed the door, ARGGH! There was something scary on the other side! I'll be damned if I can remember which film originally did this, but it must have had one hell of an impact at the time.

Since then, it's become a trope to have characters go to the fridge, spend a bit of time rooting about to give the audience time to think "shit, there's going to be something bad behind the door when it closes", only for there to be nothing there. Possibly there'll be something non-threatening for a mild jumpscare, like the character's friend. It's been happening for a few decades at least, as I remember The Ring doing it at the beginning, and I've seen it a few dozen times since then. You can virtually guarantee that, if a fridge is opened and the camera starts to slowly zoom in, or the sound suddenly goes quiet, absolutely f**k all is about to happen.

It feels really peculiar to have a trope about something not happening!

A week late for this but Christmas specials of sitcoms where the main character is invited to have their dinner at about three different places. Rather than let anybody down they force themselves to stuff down a full meal at each venue.

10 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Grisly crime drama where the body of a murder victim cannot be identified by normal means but they figure it out by other clues.

Queue later appearance by supposed victim who is very much alive.

Never understood how they're able to identify a body by dental records. If they don't know who it is how do they know who its dentist is?

10 hours ago, GordonD said:

Never understood how they're able to identify a body by dental records. If they don't know who it is how do they know who its dentist is?

Good point.  I guess it can only be used to confirm the identity when you are fairly sure who it is in the first place.

In a car chase, where both cars have been going as fast as possible for some time, the good guys are suddenly able to implore their drover to go faster, at which point the gearbox of their car is transformed, allowing them to drop a gear and kick on.